Liberty to get waterslide

RCL is getting smart. It recognized the one thing that other lines has above it, and so it's starting to add waterslides to their fleet.

PS - but that would be a not so smart move to remove the Flowrider....doubt they would do that as they are trying to gain cruisers, not lose them

When we cruised Carnival the only aspects we preferred over RCL were the waterslides and the food options (particularly at the pool area).

They are trying.

They are adding poolside buffets on sea days. But if I understand correctly it's burgers and dogs from the windjammer in warmers. Not quite the same.

My concern with a single waterslide is massive lines.

Will be interesting to see where they put it.

Edited by LibertyCruiser

I've got enough space here. Forget the water park in Windosr, you could ride at my house.

Maybe we should pool our money together and get one a bit closer eh;).

Have you been to the Windsor one? I called and they were not going to offer stand up unless you rented it out for an hour. That was just after they opened up though.

Although I wouldn't use the water slide, my grandchildren would be more willing to try Royal Caribbean. They have only gone on one cruise and chose Carnival for the water slide. Royal Caribbean is trying to attract more families, and move older couples over to Celebrity, I think.😜 We started cruising on Celebrity twenty years ago, and have cruised six different lines......always have a fun cruise, slides or no slides, more families or more older couples.😄We just love cruising!:)

I want to see what these are going to be like..officially. Just one slide or many? What kinds and types they are going to have.

I am sure I would give them a couple tries during a cruise...depending on what the lineups and the noise from the screaming kids is like..lol

Interesting. I'm still anxiously waiting to see the renderings for Majesty. Liberty will be interesting too.

I can say I am pleased with this news....I believe the Freedom class is the best size class -- big enough to have plenty (and adding this to Liberty) to do without being too big. We loved Liberty when we sailed her in the past, and that is why we booked Indy, and now we may have to just start looking at her for another sailing after this happens.

The renderings will be interesting to see for sure.

Are there any other changes? We will be going on her next July.

I'm wondering the same. The waterslide doesn't excite me but I'm more excited to hear about what else is getting put on. I'm assuming Portofino's will become Giovanni's or Sabor? What about virtual balconies? (I'm in an inside room this time).

I'm wondering the same. The waterslide doesn't excite me but I'm more excited to hear about what else is getting put on. I'm assuming Portofino's will become Giovanni's or Sabor? What about virtual balconies? (I'm in an inside room this time).

If like Freedom, then Portofino becomes Giovanni's and Sabor goes into the top deck of the former nightclub.

Interesting, we will be on the Liberty in August. My husband and I were talking the other night(even before the sliding board post ), that RCCL was getting too family oriented and we are going back to Celebrity after this.

We have done numerous Celebrity and HAL cruises, even one each on Crystal and Silversea for special occasions and certain itineraries.

When we decided to do the Caribbean again this past fall we did the Allure and loved it. It really was great for that itinerary. We wanted to do the New England/Canada and Royal had a nice 10 day.

As some of the other posters have stated, we also don't want a playground atmosphere either and this will probably be our last RCCL cruise.

Barb

It will take years for all of Royals ships to have waterslides put on them, if that is even the plan because a waterslide may not be able to be accommodated on all of them. So there will be lots of ships to choose from without making this upcoming cruise of yours your last RCCL cruise, if the rest of the product that Royal gives you is what you enjoy. I can say that when we were on Allure the most cramped place was the Boardwalk with its attractions for families and kids including the carousel. You say you loved your cruise on Allure....and it was very family oriented.

I'm a little surprised that several people say this makes it too much of a playground atmosphere. Maybe, if they put the waterslide in the Solarium, I could see the issue. But the sports areas and main pool areas have always been somewhat playground-like, and I don't see how a slide would make that big of a difference.

I'm a little surprised that several people say this makes it too much of a playground atmosphere. Maybe, if they put the waterslide in the Solarium, I could see the issue. But the sports areas and main pool areas have always been somewhat playground-like, and I don't see how a slide would make that big of a difference.

It may make the area of entry/exit more busy, but yeah, wouldn't call it a playground.

Ps - And who is to say waterslides are only for kids?

Edited by LuCruise

Just off the Liberty last month and I like this announcement. We were thinking at the time that the only thing missing was a good water slide or two (or three).

I recently booked our Christmas 2016 cruises. Was going back and forth between a Harmony/Freedom combo or NCL Escape/Carnival Vista combo. Asked my 10yo DD what she liked best on cruises and without hesitation her #1 item was water slide. Ultimately decided on the Escape/Vista combo because of the water parks and ropes courses.

If RCL is trying to attract more families it's certainly working for me, now I can only hope they add slides and a flowrider to the Jewel before our 2017 B2B. :D I know... never gonna happen....

You make a good point -- they are not going to take away 'adult only quieter areas' and perhaps the starting point and the steps leading up to it will be filled with participants, but they will put those in areas that can handle the wait line. Typically a waterslide line moves quickly. As soon as the person exits at the bottom, the next person goes into the tube. It will move quicker than the flow rider, when some people do have long 'rides' because of how good they are.

Agreed. It's not like we're talking about Holland America getting waterslides. We're talking about ships with rock walls, Flowriders, ziplines, etc. The playground atmosphere already exists....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Agreed. It's not like we're talking about Holland America getting waterslides. We're talking about ships with rock walls, Flowriders, ziplines, etc. The playground atmosphere already exists....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Maybe those that will be leaving and heading to other cruise lines, will just be using this as their excuse.....they will just leave it for others to experience. Royal doesn't seem to be having trouble filling their ships. Some complain about the pricing....we have been able to find cruise prices that have been very nice for the cruises we have wanted to take, so far.

And yes, the playground already exists....but I am not going on a cruise to feel as if I am testing out a 'nursing home'.

Edited by Paulette3028

My take on the "playground" atmosphere is -- GREAT! The more there is for children to do, the better!

I retired from my job as a principal a couple years ago:) and I now get to sail at times of the year when there aren't many children on board. However, when I was working we always took a cruise during Spring Break or other prime family vacation times, and typically had anywhere from 800 to over 1,000 children under 18 sharing the ship with us.:eek: In our experience, the most "adult" atmospheres were found on the ships with the most activities for kids, and the ships with less dedicated space for children suffered more from them using the hallways, stairs, and other public spaces as their playground. I don't use the ice rink, rock wall, or water works, but in my opinion those things help disperse the passengers and keep the areas I like quieter and more adult. I think a water slide in an already noisy area will be a huge draw, and will only help keep areas like the Solarium peaceful and relaxing.

I believe it was last Christmas I read a lot of complaints on the Celebrity board about very expensive holiday sailings that had large numbers of children on them. There weren't many activities for kids, so they made their own fun and took over the ship as their playground. I've seen the same thing happen on the Grand Princess, and it's annoying to not have any spaces to have an adult experience because EVERYWHERE is filled with kids. Remember, I was a principal and I know from experience that boredom and 10-year-old boys aren't a good combination!:p If their fun isn't provided, kids will find a way to make their own, and probably not in a way that us "old farts" will appreciate!:eek:

All that to say, if I was going to take a cruise during a time that typically attracts a lot of families, I would want it to be on the ship that has the most dedicated space/activities geared towards children. I love Celebrity and am really looking forward to my next cruise with them, but I'd hesitate to book if I thought there would be hundreds of kids on a Caribbean sailing because I don't think there would be enough for them to do.

Edited by Cindy

I would LOVE a lazy river too! I assume that it's difficult weight and safety wise though...I would have a lazy rice in place of the pool even!

With exits at the bar, self serve ice cream, and buffet. How much weight would be gained on the cruise. :eek: