How do you deal with Chair "Savers"?

JonnyCT81

Last winter' date=' on the Eclipse, there were a few women who stood and chatted across one end of the indoor pool for a very long time.

When [i']tried to swim laps, they wouldn't budge and acted as if I invaded their pool.

What can one do in such a situation?

[/i]

swim butterfly and make a big splash:D

"Featuring a gorgeous pool, sparkling waterfalls, thickly padded lounge chairs, and an adults-only policy, tranquility is always just a few steps away."

The Solarium pool isn't designed for swimming laps and is intended be a sanctuary from the more boisterous activities in and around the main pool. It also has a lift for physically challenged passengers who would like to have the opportunity to swim in a quiet location. If you want to swim laps, I suggest that you try another pool.

I think the CHATTER might negate the tranquility in this case;)

Agree that everyone who posted may be a little guilty of being a hog. Do they need to sit out on deck all day? If everyone took a turn and moved on, there would be some turnover with the chairs.

Also, I'm wondering why you bring up the subject of "wonderfully behaved children who are honor students" into the conversation?

Making a comparison because I quoted a post where someone said the chair hoggers don't post. I could give a couple more examples...

Edited by dkjretired

Here is the answer. Find your favorite spot on deck and inflate. When you are done let the air out and stow it in the handy carry bag. You could charge other pax to use it. It could also function as a personal life raft Lol :D

pl2236977-white_large_circular_pvc_modern_inflatable_furniture_inflatable_sofa_bed.jpg.dbf70e0d6d154e2a583cb38958a188f8.jpg

Edited by Gone Fishing

Here is the answer. Find your favorite spot on deck and inflate. When you are done let the air out and stow it in the handy carry bag. You could charge other pax to use it. It could also function as a personal life raft Lol :D

Sure would take a lot of hot air to inflate. Maybe we can find some CC people to help? They could all take turns blowing :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

The best chair hog solution I ever read was a few posters over on the Carnival boards.

They remove the items, take the lounger and place it in a different spot on the deck and then replace the chair hogging items on the floor where the lounger once was....love it.

Also these make me laugh:

seat-savers-2-e1281203025602.jpg

Edited by Velvetwater

Last spring on Eclipse I found a lounger right where I wanted it & settled in (no towel, book, anything on chair). This woman comes (can't call her a lady) & started screeching that I "stole" her chair. I tipped my sunglasses down, smiled at her & said she must have had very heavy luggage to have brought a chair from home & went back to my book. She left & I don't remember seeing her the rest of the cruise. The couple sitting next to me insisted on buying drinks. I did ask them before I sat on the (empty of anything) chair if anyone was sitting there. They replied that they'd been there for over an hour & no one had been there.

I love these threads because chair hogs are probably the only topic that everyone agrees on.

iPad vs. Kindle? Argue

RCCL vs Celebrity? Argue

MDR vs. Blu? Argue

Tips? You better believe that's an argument

Chair hogs? We all hate 'em!

I love these threads because chair hogs are probably the only topic that everyone agrees on.

iPad vs. Kindle? Argue

RCCL vs Celebrity? Argue

MDR vs. Blu? Argue

Tips? You better believe that's an argument

Chair hogs? We all hate 'em!

Ozzie ozzie ozzie ... Oink! Oink! Oink!

I think a big part of it is people who grab a towel when they sit down, then just leave the towel on the chair when they depart. It's hard to tell which chair is occupied and which is deserted. We are very conscious of the appearance of chair hogging and always toss our towels in the bin, even if we are just going into the buffet for a quick bite.

We prefer the chaises under the overhang on S class ships and never have trouble finding a spot. I was laughing on our April cruise when I came out and saw four random chaises being saved for the first time ever. I never saw anyone in those seats, it was just ludicrous since there was always plenty of availability. Some people must be born with that gene.

I just generally turn stuff into lost & found. :)

If it is a book, I am tempted to turn the book into the library book exchange bin so other people can read it but that would be stealing which is wrong. However, moving their stuff to a really bad location where they can't give away seats but in the general pool area is not stealing - it is just relocating.

DON

Why not just use the chair next to it where you moved their stuff to?

Because there's other stuff on the chair next to it. I just line the stuff up on one reserved chair so we can actually use the pair we need. I really like the lost and found idea too. I'm sure there are loads of books, sunglasses and stuff in lost and found.

I am one of those 'I am on my holiday and do not want a confrontation sort of people......' I will settle for a chair looking at those saved loungers shaking my head but unwilling, and not feeling the problem is big enough, to complain about.

We have found chair hogging to be quite cruise specific.

On Summit, South Caribbean, it was serious. If you hadn't saved your chairs early you were lost.

On the Solstice, Hawaii to Sydney, once people saw you looking they would try to help to find loungers together by 'moving down' . I have never been in a pool area, land or sea, where everyone genuinely tried to look after fellow holiday makers. Perhaps being a longer cruise people didn't feel the urgency of securing 'the best lounger'. It was just never a problem even on the hot sea days. On the iffy weather couple of days we had you could have as many loungers as you wanted!

On our recent Equinox cruise, Caribbean, it was a mixture. There were people who you could see moved and cleared their area and others who were obviously going somewhere else for a while but laid claim with books and other items!

I have often wondered what other characteristics belong to the chair hoggers. I tend to think they would eat a steak in Tuscan and then complain it was tough, complain their restricted view veranda cabin had a restricted view and then if the upgrade fairy waved her wand and put them in a sky suite they would complain they didn't have the perks of the penthouse! Thankfully I feel that one of the strengths of Celebrity cruises is that the majority of passengers are just really nice, caring cruisers!

I would say chair hoggers are more of an All-Inclusive Resort habit and it trickled onto cruise ships like bed bugs :) I've only seen RCL and NCL take proactive action to remove items from unused chairs if it gets busy. Wish they would bring back the blue dot.

I would say chair hoggers are more of an All-Inclusive Resort habit and it trickled onto cruise ships like bed bugs :) I've only seen RCL and NCL take proactive action to remove items from unused chairs if it gets busy. Wish they would bring back the blue dot.

Interesting comment. We stayed in AI resorts for many years before starting to cruise and never experienced the same difficulty that we now do. Possibly a function of more and bigger pools and a better guest-to-chair ratio ashore.

We were on the Equinox in April. At the start of each day the loungers were set up with fresh towels and a note card that said something like items left unattended for 30 mins will be removed. The pool attendants actually moved items on days 1 and 2, which virtually solved the chair hog problem for the rest of the trip. This was a sold out Caribbean cruise and we had no trouble finding loungers on any day of our cruise.

We had that as well on the Eclipse, but the hogs usually ignored it & the pool butlers were too timid to move items left too long.

I agree that it depends on the cruise AND the people on the cruise.

Things are worth in the med when there are a lot of family with kids (so increased numbers of total passengers). They use 4-5 chairs and there is always somebody around to keep them occupied. Even if the max used at once is 3.

I even came accross the situation that we were not able to find 2 chairs next to each other during the day on deck 14...

Other story:

On our last cruise (Sydney to Hawaii) the chairs had been removed due to weather in the evening/night and in the morning the pool butlers had not put them back into place until later in the morning.

So people came in the morning and put them into position their own - but not 6 of them next to each other in one section, only 4 or 5. When I came to find two, I wanted to add the missing one or two for us as most sections were occupied. So I told the person on one chair that I had to move the chairs a little to get one more in. He wouldnt let me do that. So I went into the next section and the person didn't allow me either. I even told them that it is room for 6 as on all other days on this cruise and other cruises... didn't care, even ignored me.

So I went to a pool butler. He came, told the person to have a chair moved but the person even told the butler to go away - and the butler gave up.

Hard to believe, but true.

I'd have no problem forcing the loungers together if need be.

I'd have no problem forcing the loungers together if need be.

Why would you even want to jam up against someone? As I walk around the pool deck I am frankly repulsed by so many half naked morbidly obese people jammed up against one another. I don't need to be near or swim in the pool that bad. There are more than enough lounge chairs on the upper decks that even if there were two available next to the pool I would still go one or two decks up. You can alternate between sun and shade very easily.

The best time to go to the pool deck is on port days, especially ones we have been to many times.

What do you say/do about those people? You show up...early for a show...and they have several seats saved for their DHs, DWs, friends etc? What do you all do about those "saved seats". Me??? I just go find another seat...but it is a bummer!!! LuAnn

What do you say/do about those people? You show up...early for a show...and they have several seats saved for their DHs, DWs, friends etc? What do you all do about those "saved seats". Me??? I just go find another seat...but it is a bummer!!! LuAnn

If someone is saving a seat or two, I don't have a problem. On one cruise, this one family was saving an entire row down low. This was too much. On the second time this happened, we just sat down and repeatedly said "Thank you" when something was said to us and enjoyed the show.

If someone is saving a seat or two, I don't have a problem. On one cruise, this one family was saving an entire row down low. This was too much. On the second time this happened, we just sat down and repeatedly said "Thank you" when something was said to us and enjoyed the show.

Good for you. We too have no problem with someone saving a seat for your spouse. On our recent Bermuda cruise we went into the Celebrity theatre for a show. Went into a row where a young man said he was saving 8 seats. He was obviously embarrassed to be put in this position. I said you can save a couple of seats but not an entire row and sat down. 15 minutes later the group came in. Mom proceeded to berate the kid for not keeping the row open. Felt sorry for the kid for having the bad luck to have such an itch for a mom.