Rude Passengers

sarasfw

Rudeness is defined in different ways depending on your orientation to the world. Different cultures have different values and morals, what is rude to me as an American is perfectly normal to someone from China. Best to embrace people with a great deal of compassion, and a keen eye towards our cultural differences.

And yes there are those people who have entitlement issues, best to avoid them like the plague!

I am a senior citizen who is lame and walks with a cane. I enjoy cruising except for the nightmare of the elevators. I face the issue of healthy passengers jumping ahead of me to enter an elevator. I can't manage the stairs so this is not an option.Should a elevator open that is not directly in front of me, I usually can't get on because others jump on before I can get there. once I actually broke down crying because I couldn't catch an elevator after waiting a long time, and standing long periods is very difficult .Please show a little curtesy to the handicapped passengers. Thank you!

How odd. We tend to hold the door for slower moving people so they can make it to the elevator. If it's going to be full we then take the stairs. When we sailed with our son a couple of times people were all quite polite about his wheelchair. Many times he took the elevator and we took the stairs to meet him on another deck.

I agree that there are people who try to shove into the elevator as soon as the door opens without waiting for others to exit. It's difficult for us to understand. I guess we just weren't raised to act like that. We try to not let it bother us more than it has to and hopefully by being more courteous we can help to make up for the others.

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you and MTSJR for reminding us that not everyone's reality is the same as our own. I was taught that it is rude to point out rude behavior and I try not to. I would certainly never feel it was my right to mention it to the person demonstrating it. I haven't walked in their shoes. And if I returned home from a cruise and the behavior of others was the most notable thing I could mention about my experience, i would consider the issue to lie with me.

JMO.

I love your thought and, perhaps, we should all look to ourselves to makes sure we are not equally guilty and forgive those who can't seem to help themselves.

We had boarded a ship and headed to the buffet for lunch. This ship had a automatic sliding door, it opened we walked in and and immediately just by walking in we had butted in front of a lady. Without giving me time to reposition my spot in line she rudely said "you are butting in front of me". I looked at her and calmly said "that is not my intent I just came thru the door and was put in this spot in line and I have 7 days to eat, so there is not need for me to butt into line". I Graciously found my place in line. But, I never forgot her or the experience. We all need patience.

Yeah, buffet is as bad as elevator when it comes to rudeness. Like when someone would load up the whole plate with one particular popular food item and leave none for the people standing behind him/her. Or they would double back and try to cut in line because they forgot to get this one particular item when they went through the buffet line.

While I love cruising and must say that the vast majority of people I meet are very friendly and down to earth, I have also found that there seems to be a larger concentration than normal of people who feel entitled and treat staff (and in some instances fellow passengers) like they are servants and beneath them. This is especially true on the longer, more expensive itineraries. I've attributed it to the fact that there are larger number of affluent people on these cruises. I've also seen this happen when I fly for work and get upgraded to first class. The snooty factor is much higher than in coach.

That said, I agree with what has been said all through this thread...don't let the snooty 10% ruin your cruise and spoil the experience you have with the other 90%. Just ignore and enjoy :)

How odd. We tend to hold the door for slower moving people so they can make it to the elevator. If it's going to be full we then take the stairs. When we sailed with our son a couple of times people were all quite polite about his wheelchair. Many times he took the elevator and we took the stairs to meet him on another deck.

I agree that there are people who try to shove into the elevator as soon as the door opens without waiting for others to exit. It's difficult for us to understand. I guess we just weren't raised to act like that. We try to not let it bother us more than it has to and hopefully by being more courteous we can help to make up for the others.

I think a lot of this rudeness in elevators is just plain inexperience using them. We assume people are using elevators regularly and in fact they aren't. Escalators are used more.

We have seen people waiting for an elevator without pressing the call button for example. There are those that don't want to share the car with others. Some people feel they should never have to wait for one. Common courtesy is lost when it comes to elevators and shows a lack of knowledge of usage of the them.

Yes. I also see inexperience as part of the problem. I live in northern California and there simply aren't many elevators to be seen once one gets north of Sacramento. I cover most of the northern third of the state for my department and only have one office that I access via an elevator. When people don't use elevators as part of their daily lives the little things - waiting for people to exit before trying to board for instance - are simply not part of their normal thought process. I have pointed this bit of etiquette out to some people onboard but have done it in a non-confrontational manner such as saying something like, "I hate it when I space out and forget to let people get off first!" If I grin and act like I am sometimes guilty of the same action, people get the message but don't see it as a reprimand. Hopefully the comment will jar some awareness about proper etiquette that will stick with the passenger who may very well simply never have thought about it before.

I can't do stairs. Maybe 1 flight very slowly on some days. My husband has no problem. He'll go at least 4 flights and get some things we need, but I'm still waiting for the elevator. I'm still waiting at the elevators with the doors opening at least 6 times or more. I don't need a wheelchair most the time. It just seems the doors keep opening with the same people on it. And then, there's no place to sit and wait.

Have we all forgotten Do unto others. Not religious, but it's a good mantra to live by. When others are rude and inconsiderate I try to smile and tell them I'm sure you are in a bigger hurry than me or you must need this more than me. I once had a couple who asked to share my table in the buffet, not MY table but one I was sitting at on my own. The "lady" then started pushing my plate with toast and my cereal bowl and cup over to the side. When I asked her not to touch my food but ask me to move it if it was in her way, it was'nt, she told me I was the rudest person she had ever met! Must have led a sheltered life. 99% of passengers are like me, just want to co-exist and enjoy their cruise.

Have we all forgotten Do unto others. Not religious, but it's a good mantra to live by. When others are rude and inconsiderate I try to smile and tell them I'm sure you are in a bigger hurry than me or you must need this more than me. I once had a couple who asked to share my table in the buffet, not MY table but one I was sitting at on my own. The "lady" then started pushing my plate with toast and my cereal bowl and cup over to the side. When I asked her not to touch my food but ask me to move it if it was in her way, it was'nt, she told me I was the rudest person she had ever met! Must have led a sheltered life. 99% of passengers are like me, just want to co-exist and enjoy their cruise.

Definitely the pot calling the kettle black there! I would have been annoyed at her moving my thing too.

I have a more global thought that might "help" our country become a thoughtful, kind and respectful place.

In Japan, the schools do not have janitors. The students all participate in the care and upkeep of the school. The belief is that students are more respectful, responsible and the feeling of equality is evident. Further they are taught to hold doors, offer assistance and be polite.

I think this system is perfect for a melting pot society like ours. Since parents are afraid to parent anymore, the schools can benefit by helping take up the basic training required to be responsible, respectful and cooperative. Better than the direction we are headed.

I don't want to get into a cultural debate but, on every cruise we have been on the rudest (BY FAR) are those from Japan and China. They are the ones that try to push their way in front of others and expect better service. I realize not all are that way but I could tell you stories of how rude they were. We have had exchange students from Japan stay with us, when we were younger, and they were very respectful and polite so we know not all are rude. I will tolerate rudeness to a point and then I WILL say something. Yes, life is too short to be upset by others and perhaps we, or at least I, need to be more forgiving of others . I totally agree with what others have said about the elevator situation, My DW and I have, on numerous occasions, waited sometimes for two or three elevators to pass before we get on so others could ride and not be so overcrowded. We aren't able to use the stairs very easily otherwise that would be another option.

I don't want to get into a cultural debate but, on every cruise we have been on the rudest (BY FAR) are those from Japan and China. They are the ones that try to push their way in front of others and expect better service. I realize not all are that way but I could tell you stories of how rude they were. We have had exchange students from Japan stay with us, when we were younger, and they were very respectful and polite so we know not all are rude. I will tolerate rudeness to a point and then I WILL say something. Yes, life is too short to be upset by others and perhaps we, or at least I, need to be more forgiving of others . I totally agree with what others have said about the elevator situation, My DW and I have, on numerous occasions, waited sometimes for two or three elevators to pass before we get on so others could ride and not be so overcrowded. We aren't able to use the stairs very easily otherwise that would be another option.

Would you please clarify a few questions for me? I am Asian and do see the same behaviors and sometimes just want to hide/cringe and say that I am not Asian. But, these have been on cruises out of Los Angeles. A very different group of Asians than those that might be on the Diamond Princess cruising around Japan.

I am not sure why this happened on so many of my coastals. They were mostly first generation Asians.

I apologize for those that have been impacted by their behavior. You will find very polite Asians from Hawaii and other parts of the world.

Would you please clarify a few questions for me? I am Asian and do see the same behaviors and sometimes just want to hide/cringe and say that I am not Asian. But, these have been on cruises out of Los Angeles. A very different group of Asians than those that might be on the Diamond Princess cruising around Japan.

I am not sure why this happened on so many of my coastals. They were mostly first generation Asians.

I apologize for those that have been impacted by their behavior. You will find very polite Asians from Hawaii and other parts of the world.

Unfortunately, rudeness and a sense of entitlement seems to be affecting many cultures these days :(. Cultural differences may explain part of it, but I feel much of it is simply bad manners.

San Francisco is the worst of the worst! You don't have to apologize for their bad behavior, but I'd like to know how they developed those habits? Taking bowls of fruit from the buffet and taking them to a table for everyone in their clan to feast on. Picking up a crock of walnuts and walking around the buffet eating out of the crock as if that crock was put there for them only. I could go on and on, but it would surely tick some people off here. I won't blame it on a cultural thing, no, I blame it on a lack of respect for others. Emily Dickinson would call it "manners."