Royal Caribbean cancelling my cruise. help

KG_II

So I'm a platinum C&A member with RCCL, since I've been traveling with my parents. This year I decided to book a cruise for a friend and I in JAN16. we made our reservation though a TA who booked it over the phone. everything was great, we made our down payment, got a stateroom, and we were off to the races.

Two weeks later I went in to make another payment, and while the TA was on the phone, she was notified that me and my friend would not be allowed to board the boat. WHAT!?

Turns out that because both me and my friend are under 21 (both 20, turning 21 in 2016) that we won't be allowed to board the ship. The original agent that we dealt with over the phone who took our information, BIRTHDAYS, and payment never bothered to tell us one of us had to be over 21. why does RCCLs booking software even allow them to book the cruise.

We filed a claim with RCCL and were told that we still wouldn't be able to take our cruise. I'm asking here if there is anything else we can do. we are missing the 21yo cutoff by about 3 months. we've already paid for 1/4 of our cruise, made reservations with excursions, and transportation to and from airports. someone please help.

We checked into this for our son and his friend when they were 19 and 20.

RCCL requires one person in each cabin to be 21 years old.

Unless, it is a married couple under 21.

The only cruise line we could find that would allow them to travel under 21 was Disney, and it is a lot more expensive.

The original booking agent was wrong to let you book. It is a shame that you are the ones disappointed by the mistake of a RRCL employee, and one would hope RCCL would work with you to find a solution - such as re-booking after your 21st birthday.

Is there an over 21 friend or family member who could join you on the cruise?

*Note - we also found that some car rental companies wanted a driver to be 25 years old - or we had to pay for a very expensive insurance rider.

Hope something works out.

Edited by Dinkachu

So I'm a platinum C&A member with RCCL, since I've been traveling with my parents. This year I decided to book a cruise for a friend and I in JAN16. we made our reservation though a TA who booked it over the phone. everything was great, we made our down payment, got a stateroom, and we were off to the races.

Two weeks later I went in to make another payment, and while the TA was on the phone, she was notified that me and my friend would not be allowed to board the boat. WHAT!?

Turns out that because both me and my friend are under 21 (both 20, turning 21 in 2016) that we won't be allowed to board the ship. The original agent that we dealt with over the phone who took our information, BIRTHDAYS, and payment never bothered to tell us one of us had to be over 21. why does RCCLs booking software even allow them to book the cruise.

We filed a claim with RCCL and were told that we still wouldn't be able to take our cruise. I'm asking here if there is anything else we can do. we are missing the 21yo cutoff by about 3 months. we've already paid for 1/4 of our cruise, made reservations with excursions, and transportation to and from airports. someone please help.

RCCL has spoken. What else can be done? Cancel everything, get refunds and re-book when you're in compliance with the age limit. Yes, you should have been made aware of it when you initially booked the cruise. I'm sorry for your disappointment but you have plenty of time to make alternate plans.

That's the rule. TA should have known in the first place

Nothing you can do about under 21 unless you are married

Looks like the TA the made your original booking wasn't up on RCI's Age Policy.

From the RCI website:

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy? s.gif

A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Edited by cruisenfever

You made the reservation through a TA, yes? Seems that some chats need to happen with the TA.

I'm asking here if there is anything else we can do. we are missing the 21yo cutoff by about 3 months. we've already paid for 1/4 of our cruise, made reservations with excursions, and transportation to and from airports.

Change the cruise to 3+ months later. Have the money paid either refunded to you or transferred to the next cruise. Pay the change fee for the flights. Cancel or change the excursions and transfers to/from airports.

Take the cruise as new 21 year olds!

Either find a friend who is 21 to go with on this particular cruise or book the cruise when you or your friend are 21.....

It's been RC's policy for quite some time, so you can't be mad really....if anyone to be mad at I would be mad at your TA for even trying to book you two knowing one of you are not 21

I guess another option could be for you guys to get married, lol since then you would be allowed

It sounds like RCCL software did stop the booking and it is the travel agents fault that they did not notice this and notify you.

A few choices have been given to you. Make your decision as quickly as possible before you get too busy with school and/or work and miss a refund date.

If you are in the United States as it says on your profile, you should get all your money back for the cruise and excursions. The sooner you do this, the sooner you will see the money in your account before final payment. Make sure you contact outside vendors to cancel (If the transportation was through a private vendor) and if you've given a credit card number get a cancellation confirmation in writing.

If you made airline reservations you may have a change fee and you may need to use the tickets within a year. I would take that up with TA.

Also, don't let the TA charge you a cancellation fee.

move the cruise to another date.

this is 10000000% the TRAVEL AGENT'S fault and thus THEY should be the ones you demand recompense from.

Try another cruise line that is sailing from the same port and dates. Not sure if NCL or Carnival have that strict of an age policy. I would also find a different travel agent.

Why would you give advice like that without knowing the facts? That's hardly helpful.

Carnival's requirement is 21.

NCL's is 21.

Interesting thread. I was married at 20, the DW was 19. She's still my friend, actually my best friend. Different time back then.

Why would you give advice like that without knowing the facts? That's hardly helpful.

Carnival's requirement is 21.

NCL's is 21.

I just suggested that the OP look into another line. RCCL isn't going to change their policy. I don't see how my suggestion wasn't helpful. Disney Cruise line may have a more lax policy for guests under 21, but they are much more expensive.

Edited by CyberTag