This is the "Actually, I quite like Silversea" thread

rosepark

Glad this thread seems to be having the desired effect and it's good to know that those of us who enjoy the Silversea experience, in the main, can be out and proud about it

Carry on being upbeat

Rp

So glad you started this thread. Even the naysayers have had the courtesy to stay away.

You can occupy the front seat of the 'bus again!!!

Rosepark,Thanks for starting what is a very refreshing thread.We have been SS cruisers since 1999,every year an average of 40 days per annum.Never been on another line since first cruise on SS converted us for ever.It suits our requirements and long may we continue to enjoy seeing the world and enjoying great service from all the wonderful SS staff some of whom looked after us on our maiden SS cruise and are still around!

Just got off the Spirit in Istanbul. We had a wonderful 9 days with really no complaints. We did experience an electrical fire at 4 am one morning. I can't say enough for the professionalism of the entire crew during a scary emergency.

We brought along some cruise virgins who weren't sure about SS and cruising in general. Midway through they both understood what we had been telling them. They were overwhelmed by the service and the food.

Ready to pack by bags and go again!

Just off Whisper this past Monday in Manhattan. I like the new menu! The left side is all small portions and one day I had 4 of those + dessert for dinner. The right side has larger portions, entree-like. You can ignore the burgers if they are not your style. The cheese cart is gone but there is a delightful cheese menu which DH ate his way through. The desert menu has gelati on the left and daily desserts on the right. If you want little nibbles with your coffee after dinner, ask and they bring. Never used the room service menu. Did see one gent order a steak and baked potato which were not on the menu that evening. White wine has never been my thing so I drank the daily red.

Booked Wind for next September!

Melissa

I'm a SilverSea wannabe.

We've really enjoyed Regent, but want to go to more off the beaten path places and have longer port times. So I've been considering for a while. I have every expectation that we will be thrilled on any cruise we choose.

We are late-starters at cruising so likely never will give our all to any one line. Itinerary/time driven but must be luxe lines. Our first cruise in January was aboard Regent Navigator. It was sufficiently decent. The Amazon on Silversea in Nov/Dec followed by LA-FLL via the Panama Canal on Seabourn, the Norwegian Fjordes also aboard Seabourn.

I am open to Crystal and Oceania, albeit at the larger suite level.

I figure we'll be good to go for another three years.

I'm glad this thread is in gear. I sailed SS for some years, every one as good as it gets. But then took some time off for lack of cruising and lately to try out some others. I'm returning to the Whisper in March and frankly given all the negativity I've read on the board I'm happy to hear from the obviously many pleased SS cruisers. So thanks for sounding off.

I'm a big fan of SS. The boutique size ships lends to a more sophisticated atmosphere that is relaxing and refined. The crew bend over backwards to make you feel at home and appreciated. When looking at possible sailings, SS is always where I look first. They do a fine job representing the luxury market.

We are late-starters at cruising so likely never will give our all to any one line. Itinerary/time driven but must be luxe lines. Our first cruise in January was aboard Regent Navigator. It was sufficiently decent. The Amazon on Silversea in Nov/Dec followed by LA-FLL via the Panama Canal on Seabourn, the Norwegian Fjordes also aboard Seabourn. I am open to Crystal and Oceania.

With this above post and others on this thread, it reflects much in our viewpoint and positioning. Itineraries, timing, value, etc., are and have been our top priorities. Our cruising experiences have been more limited and recent than with others who have posted on this thread and seen on these CC Boards. Our first cruise was with Seabourn in 2006 for the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast, Athens to Istanbul. Wonderful!! Got us hooked!! Then 2008 with Crystal for Baltics/Russia. Then 2010 with Silversea for Norway Coast. All three of these lines/trips had a few, little "items" that could be "picked" about, BUT, overall things were wonderful and very enjoyable.

After doing 2011/Med and 2014/Australia/NZ with Celebrity, we did 26-days with Silversea for the Amazon River/Caribbean earlier this year. After reading a number of complaints and "doom-and-gloom" predictions, there were some "worries" as to whether the Silver Cloud would be as "dire" as some had said. Results? Things, as documented in my live/blog, worked out super well. There were a few minor service or food "inconsistencies". A few staff members were not as good or experienced as certain "super-stars" on this ship. BUT, when you added it ALL up, the experience, overall, was very, very good. As a result, we booked for an early Feb. 2016 South Africa cruise on the Silver Cloud. We are now all paid up for this cruise and looking forward to seeing the new teak and other upgrades being done for the Cloud. On these two most-recent Silversea cruises, back-to-back, done earlier this year, we had the same ship and crew for both segments. First, was for 17-days. Second was for nine days. BUT, there were some differences sensed in these two different cruises as the passenger mixes changed. Lots of factors involved for how that "chemistry" works between crew and customers during different cruise.

As long as Silversea offers exciting and interesting places to explore at a reasonable value, we will give them the priority attention. We will also be comparing other options and cruise lines to see if a better alternatives are available. It is good to have many options and potentials!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 123,489 views for this posting.

I just want to see something positive on the board for a change.

Naysayers, please scroll on by. Your opinions and experiences are obviously just as valid as mine, but I do quite like Silversea - there, I have said it, controversial though this may be. I have had some super cruises with Silversea and met some delightful people.

Complaints, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention - actually not quite true but never anything major enough spoil my cruise.

So this is the Pollyanna thread - all fellow Pollyannas join in here

that's all folks,

Rp

I am happy to join this thread. You can see from the signature strip that I have been cruising for almost 40 years now, and have tried many and varying types of ship. At the top end of the range my current preference is definitely Silversea which for me (and these matters are entirely personal) ticks more boxes than the competition. I am now looking forward to two sectors of the World Cruise aboard Silver Whisper in January/February.

Count me in!

I have enjoyed all my SS cruises very much even though this year's was a big fizzer because I was so sick.

I've met wonderful people, visited some incredible places and had fabulous service.

With all the negativity on this board lately, I was starting to wonder whether anyone actually liked SS.

Well done to rosepark for starting this thread.

Cheers

Jennifer

I have a question for you, Jennifer and will email you in a second. Thanks for posting your address here.

We only sailed once on Silversea but it truly was the cruise of a lifetime for us.

We are going in 42 days!

What a wonderful experience. I have never enjoyed any other sailing as much as this one!

Edited by Fighterone

I have a question for you, Jennifer and will email you in a second. Thanks for posting your address here.

We only sailed once on Silversea but it truly was the cruise of a lifetime for us.

We are going in 42 days!

What a wonderful experience. I have never enjoyed any other sailing as much as this one!

If you're going in 42 days, we must be going in 42 days too. :)

I am a fan of SilverSea, and in particular the Spirit.

We tried Seabourn, and it was terrific too, but we like the layout and feel of the Spirit more than the Seabourn Sojourn. In particular, the deck layout of the Spirit (and especially the pool area, the back of the ship and the al fresco part of La Terraza) feels more spacious and luxurious than the Sojourn, there is a greater variety of dining venues on the Spirit, the connoisseur club is a nice old-word touch and overall, the SilverSea passenger mix seems a bit more fun-loving and social (we are in our late 40's and tend to stay up late and have fun).

Seabourn gets the edge in food quality, with a particular thumbs-up for the complimentary caviar (a big draw for my wife, who might choose Seabourn on that basis alone if the itineraries were a toss-up).

Happy to join this page. We have booked our next Silversea cruise, Iceland to Greenland on Silver Explorer in 2016. Hoping for great experiences similar to our previous Explorer cruises, back-to-back Antarctica and South America in 2012.

Edited by HDS