If Celebrity ceased to exist ... what would you do?

cl.klink

It's hard to read these boards and not get a "the sky is falling" feel -- so much that so many do not like about "changes" in what Celebrity is now vs. once was vs. what it could be. Don't mean to criticize, but it's getting me down.

So, let me take a stab at looking at this in a more hopeful way -- something to look forward to.

What if rather than "fix" what is disliked about Celebrity, what if it did not exist. What line would you sail, then, and why? What's the "good alternative" here?

Looking for something to feel good about,

- Joel

I'd just start doing all inclusive resorts then. I could go back to Carnival if I felt like cruising, but probably not. The other lines out there really do not appeal to me, at least not to the point to be willing to give them thousands of my hard earned dollars.

The tone is the same on all of the boards. Nothing can stay the same. Prices of everything has gone up, but nobody wants to pay more than they paid 5-10 years ago. If Celebrity ceased to exist, someone else would take their place. EM

Easy question to answer. I'd find another line. Celebrity is my favorite for the food and ships but I am not loyal to any one line. Alternatives would be HAL or Princess. Been on both and liked both. HAL has better food over Princess but Princess has a younger crowd and bigger ships with MUTS. Its a toss up.

But if our cruise is with our kids, then RCL, NCL or Carnival. I mostly stay on my Balcony anyway. No crowds, its quiet, no phone calls, and thats what I enjoy. Ports are really all the same and the itineraries are too.

You get alot of bang for your buck on a cruise.

It's hard to read these boards and not get a "the sky is falling" feel -- so much that so many do not like about "changes" in what Celebrity is now vs. once was vs. what it could be. Don't mean to criticize, but it's getting me down.

So, let me take a stab at looking at this in a more hopeful way -- something to look forward to.

What if rather than "fix" what is disliked about Celebrity, what if it did not exist. What line would you sail, then, and why? What's the "good alternative" here?

Looking for something to feel good about,

- Joel

Not so much an "alternative" line as it is what disappointed Celebrity cruisers should try instead: Oceania.

The tone is the same on all these boards, for all cruise lines, and has been like this since I first started reading them 10 years back. At that time, people were complaining about the food quality dropping, wear and tear, sewage smells, etc. etc. Sound familiar? Some newer cruisers loved the M class ships and thought the C class ships were old. Some X veterans loved the C class. Sound familiar? Truth is, when I step on board, it always turns out that 90% of what I read on here is exaggerated and I always have a great time! On the positive side, first world problems like Luminae lunch hours didn't exist 10 years back lol

The tone is the same on all these boards, for all cruise lines, and has been like this since I first started reading them 10 years back. At that time, people were complaining about the food quality dropping, wear and tear, sewage smells, etc. etc. Sound familiar? Some newer cruisers loved the M class ships and thought the C class ships were old. Some X veterans loved the C class. Sound familiar? Truth is, when I step on board, it always turns out that 90% of what I read on here is exaggerated and I always have a great time! On the positive side, first world problems like Luminae lunch hours didn't exist 10 years back lol

Very true!

Phil

We would like try Oceania anyway so that would be are choice.

I found both the service and the food on Oceania to be subpar to Azamara. Add to that the upcoming refurbishments of the Azamara ships, the Azamazing Evenings & White Nights and the fact that Captain's Club status is honored on Azamara - and it becomes an easy choice for me.

Celebrity in recent years has given us everything we have wanted from a cruise. We like the rooms, the specialities, the service and the ambiance.

The problem is now we are becoming reluctant to try other lines in case we spend all our time wishing we were back on a Celebrity ship!

If there was no Celebrity I think we would book several short length cruises on a variety of lines (both considered up market and down market). I guess then we would latch on to a new favourite!

So true, I remember when Century came out and there were complaints about how big she was.

Not having been on a Celebrity cruise, this question is a little tricky for me, but then maybe not. My first Celebrity cruise will be on the Solstice to Alaska in July of 2016.

If there were not a Celebrity Cruise Line, I would continue to sail Royal Caribbean. I have always liked sailing with them. Love their ships - even the big, monster ships. I am happy with their stateroom, food, service, crew, entertainment and activity level.

I might also give Princess a try. I am not interested in Carnival, Norwegian, or Holland - nor am I interested in the smaller, upscale cruise lines.

Edited by sleepless

Celebrity has just ceased to exist for us after this last cruise on the Infinity. We have cruised with Celebrity since 1987 and have loved the line in the past. However, it is not the same and we will not sail it again. The ships do not live well for us at all anymore. The service is not up to their standard. We do not like the S class ships at all - the old feel of being a cut above just isn't there.

We will continue to cruise with Princess and we love their Grand class and the Royal class ships on that line. Those ships suite the way we like to live on a cruise. We may try Oceania and cruise fewer times a year.

I found both the service and the food on Oceania to be subpar to Azamara. Add to that the upcoming refurbishments of the Azamara ships, the Azamazing Evenings & White Nights and the fact that Captain's Club status is honored on Azamara - and it becomes an easy choice for me.

We'll be doing our first cruise with Celebrity in March, but have been tossing around the idea of sailing with Azamara in 2017. Does Azamara also honor RC Crown and Anchor status?

We'll be doing our first cruise with Celebrity in March, but have been tossing around the idea of sailing with Azamara in 2017. Does Azamara also honor RC Crown and Anchor status?

Here's how RCL reciprocity works with Azamara.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/le-club-voyage/member-benefits/reciprocal-benefits

If X would go away, I'd do RCL or try the newer NCL ships.

Azamara. Or no cruise. It doesn't matter. We'll just hit the road in our car or we'll fly somewhere. Cruising is not the only vacation. We love cruising and it's a relatively economical way to see the world but it's just a half day here and a day there. To really see the world it takes some immersion which is amazing too. For me, when it comes right down to it, it's still about the destination.

But I just don't get the whining and complaining. I really don't.

I'm grateful I am able to take any kind of vacation at all. Many people can't put food on the table. I know none of us here really need perspective, but if I ever do, all I need to do is turn on the news and see what's going on all over the world.

I remain glass half full. Always.

We currently have three cruises booked on Celebrity, HAL and RCI. Celebrity is nice, but not the only game in town. If it was to go under, there are numerous options. I don't think that many people are going to stop cruising just because Celebrity isn't around.

We have done the majority of our cruises with Royal Caribbean, and love both lines, so it wouldn't be a big problem. Two years ago, X cancelled one of our cruises due to mechanical problems, and we took a cruise with Princess. We were very satisfied (especially liked the coffee card) and wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again.

The majority of our cruises have been with Princess, but we do land-based vacations much more frequently than cruise vacations anyway.

As a previous poster said, a cruise vacation still gives you good bang for your buck. And even if I spent the whole cruise sitting on the balcony with a good book ... damn, that actually sounds pretty fine.

It wouldn't bother me in the least. There are other choices in life, and, in fact, friends have been trying to steer us to Regent, Seabourne, and Crystal for some time. But, in fact, after 50 some cruises, maybe it's time to stay at home and take land based vacations.

It would not bother us. There are lots of vacation options out there. We are not married to any cruise line. We do not have an emotional attachment to any corporate entity...other than perhaps the one that pays my pension every month.

We can never understand why some people seem to be so emotionally invested and defensive about their favourite cruise line. At the end of the day it is really just another large corporation.

Edited by iancal