Would you pay Extra for Northstar/iFly ?

Bigtex1622

Would you pay extra?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay extra?

• Yes, I would at any price
    • Yes, If they lowered it
    • No, at any price
    • No, am thinking of canceling my cruise, or changing cruise lines

Having been on both a few times my answer is no.

In fact I wouldn't even spend a lot of time queuing up for Nth Star. If I can walk up and the line is short I would go up again to pass a few minutes but it is an over rated gimmick IMO.

While iFly is fun it is not worth paying for.

Having been on both a few times my answer is no.

In fact I wouldn't even spend a lot of time queuing up for Nth Star. If I can walk up and the line is short I would go up again to pass a few minutes but it is an over rated gimmick IMO.

I guess like food, then, North Star must be very subjective, because I loved it. It was great fun. Probably the closest I'll ever get to having a helicopter view of a ship and the ocean.

From%20North%20Star%20center%201024x683_zpsnuvzn9yr.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I am not on a cruise for carnival type rides. Can't say that they would not be fun, but I tend to not spend money on cruise other than for food/drinks, but that is me. To those who would pay, as long as they see value in the extra fee, there should not be a problem.

When base cruise fare rises to where along with fees for everything else I like to do reaches a point beyond my perceived value, then we will adjust and not cruise. Kinda hard to argue with pricing now with the high demand cruise lines are creating along with the loyalty of many past cruisers complaining as they book the higher rates. :rolleyes:

(Just guessing.)

It seems something has probably happened on the short cruises from China 4 - 5 nighters that has caused this to start. Chinese are not well known for lining orderly. I could not imagine the Chinese taking it lightly if they missed out on I fly or North Star. Also remember these activities are subject to the sea and wind conditions.

IFly yes.........paid $1 minute for it in Vegas. Would gladly pay for it again and again and again! Northstar - really doesn't interest me so even if it were free I wouldn't go on it.

I have to agree. IFLY was far more impressive than the North Star. The difference was possibly due to the fact that we had a reservation for IFly when we boarded the Q. We stood in line for a long time to get a reservation for the North Star. When I finally got to the front of the line, the time they offered conflicted with a "lunch date" that I had with CC ladies, but, the "accommodating" staff of the North Star would NOT give me a later time! So, I was a little ticked off that I had to miss lunch and that took a lot of the thrill out of the experience. I would NOT do North Star again. They should have invested more training/money in the staff taking reservations if they wanted the North Star to be an amazing experience!

Edited by JMG

(Just guessing.)

It seems something has probably happened on the short cruises from China 4 - 5 nighters that has caused this to start. Chinese are not well known for lining orderly. I could not imagine the Chinese taking it lightly if they missed out on I fly or North Star. Also remember these activities are subject to the sea and wind conditions.

Agreed.

I just think it's ridiculous to be honest.

The justification for the high base price on Quantum is all of the new features.

I'm okay with that. But then If you're going to charge for those features separately, then don't charge inflated cabin prices.

Pick a lane...

This is just another example of RCs nickel and diming mentality.

I honestly don't mind the a la carte approach if that's the way to go. But then by base fare should be MUCH lower.

Edited by Overtyme

The justification for the high base price on Quantum is all of the new features. I'm okay with that. But then If you're going to charge for those features separately, then don't charge inflated cabin prices. Pick a lane...

Well said. If I start feeling that I'm being charged twice for the same thing I get annoyed. I'm fine either way but not both. If I want the bells and whistles I'll pay more for the ship. We're going on Allure soon and paying more than we usually do for a 7 day cruise on an "ordinary" ship. I got a perfectly positioned balcony so I'm satisfied. Generally, though, I prefer the "a la cart" approach as long as the base price is right.

"No, am thinking of canceling my cruise, or changing cruise lines"

Changing cruise lines due to an up charge for the North Star or Ripcord's IFly seems a bit extreme

Edited by LilBlackDress

For starters, I wouldn't pay a higher fare just to be offered more opportunities to be charged for things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. One of the reasons why now I am seriously thinking of cancelling my Ovation of the Seas cruise.

RCL needs to look at the pricing of these cruises if they going to make attractions on it userpays. I have to reconsider this now because the things that were included at the time I made the booking will now be charged at extra.

Changing cruise lines due to an up charge for the North Star or Ripcord's IFly seems a bit extreme

Not really, when the product was sold to you at the time of booking that included these activities and now RCL charging them. Then maybe the people who booked back before the change should get a pro-rata reduction to reflect the change in the product.

I don't think that those who cancel are doing so because of a $26 charge for a 1 minute flight in the iFly.

They're doing so because of the bigger picture, because they can get a cruise on another ship for a lot less and possibly because they're tired of RC charging for things that they once said were included.