Are Cruise Ships Safe

Dori Saltzman

Have you ever been affected by crime, minor or major, on a cruise ship?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been affected by crime, minor or major, on a cruise ship?

• YES
    • NO

A cruise ship is a small town with a scheduled 100% population change. I have never understood why people think a cruise ship is any different than a resort. It is our behaviors that change when we are "on vacation." We tend to have a false belief that the act of being on vacation puts us in a crime-free safety bubble.

How many people do you know that would go to their local city park, leave a beach bag on a bench to "reserve" it and then walk away for hours? What are parents thinking when they bring minor children aboard a ship, or to a resort, and let them run free for hours on end?

"Safety" on a cruise ship isn't an issue, behaviors that make you a victim is.

Edited by MSN-Travelers

it is safe.

What makes a cruise "unsafe" are just sometimes the on it.

I have never experienced any crime or felt unsafe at all.

However you have those People that drink more that they should and being just rude People in generall.

You meet those People as well at a Hotel Resort or Restaurants etc.

they can ruin you day/vacation.

Also, you have to Keep you commen sense. Look your valuables, watch were you going, don't leave you small Kids unattended or your Baby alone in the cabin etc

The ship itself is safe or as safe as you make it as mentioned above. However you have to realize the ports you are going to are culturally different and may make some people uneasy. Also if you are one to get uncomfortable being in an unfamiliar place, life off the ship while in port may be a stretch until you get accustomed to it.

I grew up in a moderately rough neighborhood, am very aware of my surroundings and like to think I have common sense.... all of which make adaptation to various ports of call easier.

If you are in doubt, research each port, plan ship arranged excursions and prepare yourself to enjoy the experience.

It's not a yes-or-no question. The general population has access to the same travel options. If a criminal decides to cruise on the same ship you're on then it may not be so safe. I never understand people who think it's okay for their children to run free on a cruise ship when they wouldn't give them that independence at home or on a land-based vacationi--they think they'll be fine because they're on the ship. Well, there may also be people on that ship who are happy when people let their children have that much freedom.

I've been on a dozen cruises and never had a safety issue. But, I don't let my guard down anymore than I would if I were on a land vacation. I pay attention to what's going on around me and I don't make stupid decisions. :o

There is no such thing as no crime. Everyone needs to be self aware and alert of their surroundings. Look out for suspicious character, unattended bags.

People always say security is the first line of defense on the ship. Not entirely true. The first line of defense are the 3000 guest on board. Each one playing their part to ensure their cruise is a safer one.

Edited by WaveSplasher

Thread title: Are Cruise Ships Safe?

A cruise ship is an inanimate object, the design and operation of which is not inherently unsafe--there would hardly be an entire industry of cruise vacations if it was.

Whether or not one has been "affected" by a criminal act on board has very little if any bearing on how safely the cruise lines operate their ships, or even whether or not fellow passengers consider on board safety an important enough issue to take it under consideration when choosing to engage in potentially unsafe public behaviors.

And as for the poll question: if taken literally I cannot see how anyone could answer NO. Even those who have only a few cruises under their belts have certainly encountered underage drinkers acting obnoxious enough to have an "affect" on one's evening. Or been grabbed, pushed and shoved for not moving quickly and/or mounting or dismounting the elevator fast enough (that's assault in my book). Or been held up on the gangway at disembarkation as the line stops each time the beagle detects another colossal idiot trying to carry food from the breakfast buffet off the ship. All the above certainly are being "affected by crime".

"Is it safe" is a pretty vague kind of question (even for Marathon Man fans)......safe with respect to crime is different than safe with respect to mechanical issues and sea-worthiness.

As a method of transportation, I think they are pretty safe - safer than car, but probably not as safe as an airplane.

As a location for criminal activity, I think they're fairly safe because of the closed environment (i.e. safer than a hotel), but there is still crime to watch out for......there will still be a risk of assault or theft/pickpocketing, just as there is whenever you are in a group of a thousand or more strangers. Probably more safe than a town of the same size, though, as there's less coming-and-going, and there's an entrance fee.

"if taken literally I cannot see how anyone could answer NO. Even those who have only a few cruises under their belts have certainly encountered underage drinkers acting obnoxious enough to have an "affect" on one's evening. Or been grabbed, pushed and shoved for not moving quickly and/or mounting or dismounting the elevator fast enough (that's assault in my book). Or been held up on the gangway at disembarkation as the line stops each time the beagle detects another colossal idiot trying to carry food from the breakfast buffet off the ship. All the above certainly are being "affected by crime"."

Wow, you have a definition of crime so vague it's practically meaningless. A drunken boor shouting to his friend is not a crime, even if it did affect me (which it usually doesn't). Having someone stopped from bringing food onto a port is also not necessarily crime, and I really wouldn't be in that crowded line up anyway, so it wouldn't affect me. Jostling and bumping into someone isn't assault (certainly not without intent), and, again, I'm not really affected (positively or negatively) by accidental contact with another person in a crowd.

Really - I think you need to re-think your definition of "crime" so that it doesn't include every behaviour that you don't like.

If the topic is limited to what the poll question asks, then yes I think cruise ships are pretty safe. I've never been impacted by any crime -- major or minor -- onboard a cruise ship.

I also don't subscribe to the "cruise ship is not any safer than an equivalent sized town" theory. Of course it's safer. The things that involved in a vast majority of crimes are absent: cars, drugs, guns. And the fact that you have to pay a certain amount to get that little sea-pass card allowing you to actually get on board is a deterrant to some casual and opportunistic crimes -- e.g., you're not going to find gypsies onboard picking your pocket.

If the topic is limited to what the poll question asks, then yes I think cruise ships are pretty safe. I've never been impacted by any crime -- major or minor -- onboard a cruise ship.

I also don't subscribe to the "cruise ship is not any safer than an equivalent sized town" theory. Of course it's safer. The things that involved in a vast majority of crimes are absent: cars, drugs, guns. And the fact that you have to pay a certain amount to get that little sea-pass card allowing you to actually get on board is a deterrant to some casual and opportunistic crimes -- e.g., you're not going to find gypsies onboard picking your pocket.

You're also not going to find any sort of crime that involves making a quick getaway or having a secure place to hide the swag, or involves having somewhere quiet and out of the way where no-one can hear.

We have sailed on a number of cruise lines over about a 10 year period. We have never had or seen any incidents. That does not mean that there were not any, if anything does happen the ships crew does everything it possibly can to conceal it from as many passengers as possible. But, I will say, that we are always careful, we keep our valuables in the safe, (which is no guarantee) there are some ports we will NOT go to, and some ports that we do not wear any jewelry to at all. We believe that cruising is like going on many vacations. You MUST be wise and cautious. NOW if you go to many, many cities, which include almost every city in Europe DON'T carry anything of value! Pick pockets are artists! Cruising is much, much safer! At least on a cruise ship I feel perfectly safe walking around 24/7 alone. By this I mean to sensible places. I am a relatively sensible person ;)

"if taken literally I cannot see how anyone could answer NO. Even those who have only a few cruises under their belts have certainly encountered underage drinkers acting obnoxious enough to have an "affect" on one's evening. Or been grabbed, pushed and shoved for not moving quickly and/or mounting or dismounting the elevator fast enough (that's assault in my book). Or been held up on the gangway at disembarkation as the line stops each time the beagle detects another colossal idiot trying to carry food from the breakfast buffet off the ship. All the above certainly are being "affected by crime"."

Wow, you have a definition of crime so vague it's practically meaningless. A drunken boor shouting to his friend is not a crime, even if it did affect me (which it usually doesn't). Having someone stopped from bringing food onto a port is also not necessarily crime, and I really wouldn't be in that crowded line up anyway, so it wouldn't affect me. Jostling and bumping into someone isn't assault (certainly not without intent), and, again, I'm not really affected (positively or negatively) by accidental contact with another person in a crowd.

Really - I think you need to re-think your definition of "crime" so that it doesn't include every behaviour that you don't like.

Making up my own definitions?

Underage drinking is a crime.

Taking food or any agricultural products off the ship when disembarking in the USA is a crime.

I have witnessed plenty of people putting their hands on others with intent--including the tiny German lady who grabbed my arm and started yanking it because I was taking too long at the Purser's desk when she was next in line.

The poll asked a yes or no question. No gray area allowed. As I said above I believe that makes it impossible to say no. And I gather those who believe the definition of what a crime is is subject to interpretation on a case-by-case basis will find it impossible to say yes. (Seems to be quite a polarizing poll)

We're exploring the question of cruise safety and would like to know what you think.

Interesting, when first seeing the title I thought it was going to be about personal safety (fire, sinking, etc) rather than crime. Perhaps it was because I had just seen some pictures of the Costa Concordia during the salvage operation.:(

The only act of violence I have ever even heard about was on a HAL ship. My sister witnessed it and even had to write a report for the ship's security. A man and a woman got onto a verbal altercation at the pool area. The man walked right up to the woman and punched her in the side of her face knocking her down which caused her to fall over a lounge chair. My sister ran over to help the woman along with some other people. The man sat down and put his head in his hands. (hopefully he realized what he had done and was sorry) some people went for security. My sister and a couple of other women walked the woman down to the med center. My sister said she thought the woman had a broken arm and a terrible black eye. We never saw the man again, but the next morning which was a sea day there was luggage packed outside of a room in our hallway. It was gone the next morning when we docked at another island.

The cruise line asked my sister not to discuss it with the other passengers. Hay, we were five sisters on a cruise, not that we didn't care about what had happened to that poor woman, but we were on vacations without husbands, kids, pets and work. We had a lot of other things to discuss besides a very sad incident!!!

Interesting, when first seeing the title I thought it was going to be about personal safety (fire, sinking, etc) rather than crime(

Me too until I saw the poll.

Dori I would say that the risk of being a victim of crime is no worse on a cruise than any other kind of vacation or travel. Just the act of becoming a tourist in any tourist area puts us at risk.

Usually my only real fear is that whatever credit card I may use is more at risk of being compromised than anything else. That has happened to me once and DH twice, but for me it was not from a cruise. I think that you're wasting energy worrying that cruising is any more of a concern than spending a few days at a beach resort hotel or even traveling on business.