Zika virus

Jaylie

So does this mean that if I go and get bitten and come home 2 weeks later and am in contact with a person that is pregnant, would she be in danger?

Marlster

I would like an answer to this concern also. We're (DH & myself) going on a B2B southern caribbean in May and DD (not traveling with us) just found out she's pregnant.

There is a problem with getting the virus even though you don't get very badly affected. If you catch the virus in the Caribbean, South America and you go back home. If where you live has that particular type of mosquitoes then if they bite you they then get the virus. This type of mosquito are already in Florida and other southern states. That's how it can spread. If where you live doesn't have that type mosquitoes not of a problem

Most danger to pregnant women,

What I am wondering now is if I happen to get the virus and come home and being around a pregnant woman, can she get it from me, or does she have to be bitten by the mosquito herself. I did go out today and buy OFF with DEET.

Marlster

You cannot transmit the virus directly to another person. A mosquito may bite you, and then may bite the other person and transmit the virus to them. According to the research I've done, Zika only stays in the bloodstream about 1 week. Only 1 in 5 with the virus show symptons, so you could have it without knowing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What I am wondering now is if I happen to get the virus and come home and being around a pregnant woman, can she get it from me, or does she have to be bitten by the mosquito herself. I did go out today and buy OFF with DEET.

Marlster

If you are bitten and contract the virus, then return to an area with the wrong breed of mosquito and are bitten, it could then bite a pregnant woman and pass it to her.

So does this mean that if I go and get bitten and come home 2 weeks later and am in contact with a person that is pregnant, would she be in danger?

Marlster

No....it's transmitted from mosquito to person, not from person to person. So far, the CDC reports no "native" Zika in the US -- i.e. everyone in the US with it has caught it while traveling, not while in the US. There is concern, though, that a different species of mosquito might be able to transmit Zika if the virus changes (as viruses do sometimes).

Edited by calliopecruiser

You cannot transmit the virus directly to another person. A mosquito may bite you, and then may bite the other person and transmit the virus to them. According to the research I've done, Zika only stays in the bloodstream about 1 week. Only 1 in 5 with the virus show symptons, so you could have it without knowing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A very real potential. This is most likely how West Nile virus arrived in North America, and why infectious disease folks are also worried abut Chickungunya virus also. Spread of these diseases was severely inhibited when people traveled under sail, and it was possible to quarrantine a sailing vessel offshore or in the harbor. today we can be in the middle of a favula in Rio or the Kibera slum in Nairobi, and less than 24 hrs later be walking in your hometown or city.

Got the warning for our April Royal cruise. I haven't read up on Zika but generally, mosquitos come out at dusk or can be found in the jungle or where there's standing water. Most ships sail before dusk. If you're concerned, I'd use plenty of bug repellant and stay away from jungle hikes or activities.

Where were you hiking? If Hassel Island don't cancel (unless you are expecting) ! It's an amazing trip. We just did it new years day - not a bug in sight and I am considered a bug buffet!!!

I just checked...Mangrove Lagoon. Looking for a private day sail instead just to be safe.:)

The same breed of mosquito that spreads the zika virus also spread chikungunya and dengue fever, so if you're worried about any of them, you might as well stay home. We have West Nile showing up in our area, but it doesn't stop me from going outside in the summer!

Marlster

CDC website on prevention of Zika: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/prevention/index.html

We will definitely be traveling with bug spray with DEET next cruise. Note the website states "Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus bite mostly during the daytime."

I have read that the mosquito that can carry the Zika virus is not found in Canada or the northern states of the U.S.

Just received two "emergency" notifications by email regarding our upcoming Ruby Mexico 10 day in March.

Gist was CDC had upgraded warning on January 15 (not so timely in contacting passengers?). "Most symptoms mild and last 2-7 days. Pregnant women more at risk. Wear long sleeves and repellants. Continue monitoring CDC."

Suspect this will get bigger for cruise lines.

Just dont go on any jungle tours. My travel agent just got back from St. Maarten and didn't even see a mosquito. As long as you are not trying to get pregnant or are pregnant you are fine. 1 out of 5 have symptoms. I was worried at first going to the Caribbean but not now that I have read up on it. I was more worried because my Son and his fiancee will be living with us when we get back from the cruise and she is trying to get pregnant, but it is very very slim that I would have the virus in my blood at that time and even if I did it would have to be a regular type mosquito here to bite me and then the same mosquito bite her, not a chance it is too cold here for mosquitos, so I now feel better about it.

Marlster

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

IMPORTANT NOTICES

ZIKA VIRUS ADVISORY

On January 15, 2016 the U.S. CDC upgraded their travel notice for Zika virus to Alert Level 2 (practice enhanced precautions). Zika virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, and symptoms include fever, headache, red eyes, rash, and joint pain. The illness is usually mild and lasts between 2-7 days. However, the alert specifically references women who are pregnant or who are trying to become pregnant. (http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html). The notice currently only affects specific cruises calling in to certain Caribbean, Central America, and South America countries. However, the situation is evolving so please regularly check the affected areas via the following links: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices and http://www.paho.org/hq/. Guests are reminded to take enhanced precautions against biting insects by covering exposed skin, and using insect repellent. Comprehensive health information can be found at: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.html.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Upon booking the Cruise, each Passenger explicitly agrees to the terms of the Passage Contract (http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp). Please read all sections carefully as they affect the passenger's legal rights, particularly with respect to cancellation (Section 6),.the provision of medical care (Section 13)and the Carrier's liability and your right to sue (Sections 14-16).

Edited by Times Prince