Shorts in MDR

rs12065

I'm not looking to start any arguments but I was wondering if anyone has observed men wearing neat, dressy shorts in the MDR on Smart, Casual evenings? We embark on the Emerald in 2 days.

Only for breakfast and lunch. Not allowed for dinner service.

I believe there was a very recent review of Emerald reporting that men in shorts were being turned away from the MDR at dinner, even on Smart Casual nights.

Outside of pairing Bermuda shorts with a blazer and knee socks, the term "dressy shorts" is an oxymoron. A position Princess agrees with and occasionally chooses to actually enforce at the MDR in the evening. (Not starting an argument, just stating a fact).

Edited by fishywood

We just got off the Emerald & they do indeed allow shorts in the dining room for dinner. Michelangelo dining room, anytime dining, deck 5, early seating between 5 & 6 PM. Although they're not officially approved by the Princess web site they just overlook anyone wearing them and it doesn't have to be the first or last night either.

btw- On formal nights even jeans were tolerated. With a dress shirt of course. ;)

I believe shorts are only allowed in the MDR on Formal Nights for those passengers sharing the AIBP, and going to the Anytime Dining instead of their

assigned Traditional Dining time. :p

No,not even then. Only at breakfast & lunch.

I'm not looking to start any arguments but I was wondering if anyone has observed men wearing neat, dressy shorts in the MDR on Smart, Casual evenings? We embark on the Emerald in 2 days.

We were on the Regal this month and I saw one man with shorts on enter the ATD MDR for a non-formal night. I was a bit surprised he was allowed in but did not know why. I did see shorts on men the first and last nights when the rules are relaxed.

BTW it did not spoil my meal that night!!

I personally have worn nice dressy shorts with a very stylish collared shirt on a Princess cruise with no problems from staff. Enjoy your cruise.

For the umpteenth time,shorts are not permitted in the MDR on Princess cruises.

No exceptions for "dressy " shorts ,because one person's definition of "dressy" shorts may not be the same as another person's definition.

There would be a slippery slope determining what clothing is acceptable in a MDR if Princess should ever change the clothing guidelines for dinner dress,by allowing the wearing of shorts.

It could possibly create a time where gentlemen would appear for dinner in cargo or gym shorts.sleeveless tee shirts,flip flops and baseball caps worn backwards on the head with or without sunglasses perched on the cap rim.

That type of outfit ,worn at dinner in a lovely dinning room with linen table cloths and china.glass and silver place settings ,would certainly be a sign of the apocalypse !

That is IMHO.

i'm not looking to start any arguments but i was wondering if anyone has observed men wearing neat, dressy shorts in the mdr on smart, casual evenings? We embark on the emerald in 2 days.

no, never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have personally seen shorts in the main dining room. I have seen shorts, including a girl I'm very short shorts in the crown grill. Now. Of these were on the first or last night. And on various cruises.

With all these stories about being turned away due to how they have dressed, I never seen that happen in all of our cruises. Not that I could care less but I'm sure I would notice it.