Boarding - Do you keep your carry on bag?

sjmbruce

It's really up to you...I usually carry a bookbag around with me until the rooms are ready in case I want to change into a bathing suit, put tanning lotion on, sunglasses case, etc. But you do have the option to give the porters all of your bags. Just keep in mind you won't get any of them until they're delivered to your room.

Also, be sure to put a luggage tag supplied by NCL on all of your bags if you do in fact check all of your bags.

I understand that rooms will not be immediately ready upon boarding. Do people usually keep their carry on bags with them and carry them around the ship? Or do you give all of your bags to the porters?

Most people turn over their larger bags to the porters outside the terminal, but it is perfectly acceptable to carry on anything that will fit through the scanner. I always carry everything on and off myself, as I don't take any chances with my stuff...

Luggage, we give to the porters.

Backpacks and small hand carry bags come with us. No point in hauling around anything big while at lunch and walking the ship.

If you immediately want to hit the pool, you need to carry your pool gear with you.

I understand that rooms will not be immediately ready upon boarding. Do people usually keep their carry on bags with them and carry them around the ship? Or do you give all of your bags to the porters?

Just like with air travel, never ever give your carry-ons (that include all meds, expensive and fragile electronics, documents, etc) to porters. There are multiple instances of checked in bags being misplaced, dropped to the sea between dock and ship, etc, etc. These are very rare occurences but still possible scenarios.

We always have our carry-ons with us, go to a MDR to have relaxed sit-down lunch around noon and when we're done, the announcement of cabins being ready has usually been already made (or if not, is often done before we even have time to think anything else to do) so we head straight to the cabin from MDR. Easy peasy and having carry-ons with us is never a problem.

Edit: Others mentioned carry-on storage area - that is usually available for very limited time (pretty much the same time MDR is open so not much difference) and we have utilized that only once, when we had a group of six and several heavy bags of wine and non-alcoholic drinks that we brought onboard.

Edited by Demonyte

I keep a small backpack of items we can't (or don't want to) easily replace (electronic devices, camera, docs, etc). This is the same bag I carry on a plane if we fly. This keeps it light and small enough that I don't mind toting it around.

All other luggage is given to porters.

Just like with air travel, never ever give your carry-ons (that include all meds, expensive and fragile electronics, documents, etc) to porters. There are multiple instances of checked in bags being misplaced, dropped to the sea between dock and ship, etc, etc. These are very rare occurences but still possible scenarios.

We always have our carry-ons with us, go to a MDR to have relaxed sit-down lunch around noon and when we're done, the announcement of cabins being ready has usually been already made (or if not, is often done before we even have time to think anything else to do) so we head straight to the cabin from MDR. Easy peasy and having carry-ons with us is never a problem.

Edit: Others mentioned carry-on storage area - that is usually available for very limited time (pretty much the same time MDR is open so not much difference) and we have utilized that only once, when we had a group of six and several heavy bags of wine and non-alcoholic drinks that we brought onboard.

We do the same, heavy bags to porter, but keep carry on with us, and lunch in MDR.

Safe sailing

For non-mega ships, there's often (??) a storagge area, typically deck 7 near the gangway, for folks to temporary store carry-on bags & you get a claim check to pickup after lunch - when cabins are ready.

For mega ships, protocols varied & often, you can stop by & drop off your carry-on to the cabin (we usually quickly put items inside the mini-safe) - especially if you board early, before going to the MDR (tradition for us, not the buffet) - and return. The doors are sometimes kept open but we usually close (locking) it on our way out & if we see our RS in the hallway busy doing turnaround, say hello while on our way to chow. (As a matter of fact, don't recall reading/seeing a storage area on the *Away class ships ??)

Never leave medications, electronics, valuables & passports, etc. or turn them over as checked items - they are and should be your EDC or EveryDay Carry - a small pouch, tote/purse or messenger bag or daypack, etc. (even a shopping bag) - something with a shoulder strap would free up both hands to do other things.

Edited by mking8288

We try to get on the ship as close to the cabins being ready as possible so we have less hanging around. Last year, we only got on the ship around 12:30 so only had to wait 30 minutes for our cabin.

We just kept all our bags with us, sat somewhere (had already eaten late breaky) and booked our shows on iConcierge from our iPhone app.

Maybe I should have called it my "smaller than my larger bag and I usually carry it on the airplane with me so its easier to call it my carry on bag" :D

but seriously, thanks for the advice. i have only sailed with Princess and the rooms were ready for us when we got on board. just wanted to know what the general bag consensus was :)

The ships have a designated area on board where you can drop off your bags until your cabin is ready. Just ask where it is when you board.

After lots of cruises, I have never heard of this.

Wouldn't want to utilize it with a bag with meds/camera/electronics, but interesting.

gary

so is checkin on a ship about the same as airport. im gathering so from this thread. metal detectors. all that good stuff.

Yes, only not quite so strict (no removing your shoes, less trigger happy metal detectors, etc).