Looking for Better than Princess?

bethhorn

We just got back from a Princess cruise and we were not wowed! We had been on one a few years back, and felt the quality had slipped (food was disappointing, the big show was horrendous, etc).

We're in our late 30's, just me and my husband traveling, looking to get away from our kids, lol.

What's in a similar price range but a little more exciting? We don't necessarily need to be on one of the huge ships, but we're not opposed. We're looking for good food (in the dining rooms), a nice mix of passengers (not a whole bunch of college kids), lots of activities (we LOVE the Princess Patter).

What do you suggest?

I really don't think you can have it all but I've also cruised Princess and several other lines, so this is just my opinion.

For better activities and entertainment, I'd say try Royal Caribbean Freedom Class, Oasis Class or Quantum Class. Thing is, in my opinion, the food is on par with Princess.

For better food and service, along with a much nicer ship, I'd say try Celebrity Solstice Class. But with Celebrity, I think the entertainment and activities, while still good, are still one step below Princess.

The OP said they want something in the same price range as Princess. Don't think those qualify!

You may want to do the math using "net daily cost" when comparing Princess to Oceania. If airfare is in the equation, particularly for distant ports, remember that it's included on O (or there's a credit). Also, figure in the included O Life amenities(internet, excursions, etc), specialty restaurants, et al. and added TA OBC. You will be pleasantly surprised at the significantly better food and service a few extra "bottom line" dollars will buy on Oceania.

OP said "good" food.

Actually, although my favourite line is Royal, I prefer the food on Carnival but then food is so subjective

Princess is the my least favourite cruiseline out of the 3 that I have sailed although my best cruise ever was the Tahatian Princess to south pacific.

For a similar price range try Celebrity.

Some of the lines mentioned are terrific such as Crystal and Seabourn and Oceania but the prices are normally a good deal higher then Princess.

However, we don't know what category you were in for Princess. If it was one of the higher price categories then possibly you could move to a lower price category on one of those ships and with lines such as Crystal and Seabourn some of the cost is included in the cruise fare such as tips and spirits/wine.

Keith

To me this is a tough call. If you want more excitement and activities you would need to look to the larger Royal Caribbean and Carnival ships. To have consistently good food and stay in a price range similar to Princess, look at Celebrity or Holland America, just expect a more sedate experience.

I've been on just about very cruise line known to man and my opinion is this, which will contradict some other opinions on this thread.

Based on what you said you want, avoid Carnival, NCL, Oceania, or any of the luxury lines mentioned. I cannot overstate that. Carnival and NCL are a big step down from Princess in every regard, and Oceania and the luxury lines mentioned are a HUGE step down in the field of entertainment and activities. You'll be bored to death. As for Oceania specifically, they are owned by the worst worst cruise line - NCL. Ever since NCL purchased them, they went downhill.

My opinion that will match some on this thread is you should try Celebrity. I recommend Solstice Class.

OP said "good" food.

We prefer Carnival's MDR, Princess's buffet and BBQ. Really like Carnival's other lido offerings.

The longer Carnival cruises are very comparable to the Princess cruises of the same length. On Carnival these still have an energy that Princess doesn't have. The shorter ones are where you'll usually experience the difference. Surprisingly, our wildest short cruise was a three day on Princess in November. FWIW Mom chose Carnival for HI even though it was costlier than Princess.

We've sail both longer (10-15) day cruises and the shorter booze cruises out of LA on Carnival and Princess. For the most part these draw from the SW US. Evidently the West Coast cruise experience is very different than anywhere else.

Edited by SadieN

If you don't want lots of kids and partiers, sail at at least the week long cruises, longer is better. Also sail when school is in session. These are usually the cheaper times to sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do, however, agree that show entertainment is not O's strong point. But, I don't really need to see Broadway wannabes when I can have a more interesting evening chatting with O's mostly cosmopolitan clientele.

The lead performers in RCI's Broadway shows...Mama Mia, Saturday Night Fever, Cats, Hairspray, Chicago and soon to be Grease...are performers who have and still do perform on Broadway. The guest performers in all the ice shows are former olympians, world games and national teams members. You called out Cruz on Oceania, but have you actually sailed RCI and seen these new shows? I'd hardly call the performers wannabes.

Edited by Aquahound

We have only done one Princess cruise and I thought it was excellent.

Loved Carnival, Royal Carib, Celebrity and HAL no complaints at all about the food.

We did our first P&O cruise Feb 5th to March 1st and the WORST cruise ever, the food was bland, plain, very little choices compared to the other lines. The ship seemed to cater to very old British people that don't like to party or have a good time. Never again!!!

The lead performers in RCI's Broadway shows...Mama Mia, Saturday Night Fever, Cats, Hairspray, Chicago and soon to be Grease...are performers who have and still do perform on Broadway. The guest performers in all the ice shows are former olympians, world games and national teams members. You called out Cruz on Oceania, but have you actually sailed RCI and seen these new shows? I'd hardly call the performers wannabes.

Doubtful and probably never will since Royal Caribbean is far too bourgeois.

At about the same price as Princess, my bet is that most will be about the same.......different people will like some the food better here vs there and the show there vs here, but no real consensus. Still you can get some differences even within the same line and ship based on when and where you cruise. The luxury lines are well known for their excellent food and entertainment options, but they will cost more (but that also varies on when and where you cruise).

The luxury lines may not cost as much more as you think, since most things are included, but the charge for a couple will still be more than Princess -- but that's where to go if you want to be wowed.