Would you rather?

tennis7

Would you rather have an inside cabin in a good location or a balcony guarantee that could be next to the elevator? Also, if I do a room guarantee, is it first come, first served for the best room?

Never an inside for me. I find being near an elevator is no big deal. I do not even notice and I kind of like the convenience.

Would you rather have an inside cabin in a good location or a balcony guarantee that could be next to the elevator? Also, if I do a room guarantee, is it first come, first served for the best room?

I agree with hpeabody, never an inside and elevator proximity is no big deal. Most traffic abates when we want to sleep anyway. What's more important is what is above and below your cabin.

As far as first-come, first-served goes, once your guarantee cabin is assigned, you can trade it for other cabins in the same category or lower.

If the difference in fair is more than $1000.00 per cabin for an inside versus a balcony- I'd go with (and have gone with) an inside.

If it means for me taking two cruises a year instead of one by doing an inside- then I definitely do an inside.

The only problem with insides is that you really never know what time of day it is and need an alarm clock by the bed (from home).

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Always a balcony for us. Also, balcony cabins are never adjacent to the elevator shafts like some interior cabins. The closest are across the hall. We have been there on some ships and never heard any noise..

I booked an inside on my upcoming cruise and when the price dropped on outside cabins- I called and was upgraded for free to an outside. So when booking far in advance- it's probably worth doing an inside to secure the voyage and if there is a price drop asking to move to an outside or balcony.

Thanks for the replies. It isn't going to cost us anything to upgrade. I was just worried about elevator noise. As The previous poster stated, I booked the inside cabin early and the prices have dropped.

Edited by tennis7

It comes down to cost for us. Usually the price difference is significant. We do not mind inside cabins, it allows us to cruise many more days per year...

That's exactly how we feel about it. Of course, we'd rather be in a balcony but have had some stellar cruises in an inside cabin. If it is the difference between going and not going ... inside will be our choice.

And with that being said, on another line, we were once assigned a balcony room (we booked a guarantee) and we learned our lesson. I won't do that one again. We were put right under the grill and the surrounding tables on the pool deck. I would have much rather stayed in an inside cabin and even pleaded for one after getting zero sleep. There are cabins much worse than inside cabins....but that is just us. We've actually found the oceanview cabins to be a very happy medium.

Definitely balcony guarantee!! A private balcony is worth its weight in gold! Don't get me wrong; I'm perfectly happy in an inside, but the balcony experience can't be beat. A guarantee means that Princess will choose your room any time between the time you book and the time your board. It's not first come first serve at all and is pretty random.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've sailed in everything from a full suite to an inside. If the cruise is very port intensive, why pay extra when you won't be on the ship? If there are lots of sea days, I'd go for the best cabin you can afford.

It comes down to cost for us. Usually the price difference is significant. We do not mind inside cabins, it allows us to cruise many more days per year...

I agree. if it allows you to cruise more and you can save $$$.$$ the inside cabins are OK.

Tony

What ship???

Never an inside for me. I find being near an elevator is no big deal. I do not even notice and I kind of like the convenience.

I look for a cabin close to the elevator, I have mobility issues to take into account, never been a problem.

I have had cabins near the elevator and was never bothered by it.

Thanks for the replies. It isn't going to cost us anything to upgrade. I was just worried about elevator noise. As The previous poster stated, I booked the inside cabin early and the prices have dropped.

I would book the balcony and then worry about where the placement of the cabin is.

Pros for a balcony, daylight, air, space, view. Waking up to natural light is a big plus for me and well as judging time of day and weather with a quick view (opposed to channel surfing for the bridge cam).

However, location of the room could be bothersome. Elevators are NOT an issue. Been there, done that many times with no problem However, as a previous poster mentioned, it is way more important what is above and below your room. If you are below the pool deck, you probably won't be happy as the crew sets up lounge chairs early and you will hear it. Also. some music venues could cause issues. So, it's a roll of the dice on that. I only book a balcony with a known location. But only you can decided what your acceptable risk on noise will be. Even with that said, I would book the balcony and take some ear plugs, good ones.

We take an inside,mainly price and longer cruise and we like it dark and quiet.Had a balcony once,was either to hot,to windy,to wet,and was tiny.But when we book an inside they give us a huge patio/balcony area on deck 12,14,15 all with shade,bars,pools,entertainment and food.

I would book the balcony and then worry about where the placement of the cabin is.

Pros for a balcony, daylight, air, space, view. Waking up to natural light is a big plus for me and well as judging time of day and weather with a quick view (opposed to channel surfing for the bridge cam).

However, location of the room could be bothersome. Elevators are NOT an issue. Been there, done that many times with no problem However, as a previous poster mentioned, it is way more important what is above and below your room. If you are below the pool deck, you probably won't be happy as the crew sets up lounge chairs early and you will hear it. Also. some music venues could cause issues. So, it's a roll of the dice on that. I only book a balcony with a known location. But only you can decided what your acceptable risk on noise will be. Even with that said, I would book the balcony and take some ear plugs, good ones.

I think I agree with everything you wrote.