Our thoughts on Koningsdam

mancunian

Hi everyone. We have just earlier in the week returned from Koningsdam. There have by now been quite a few reviews, but I promised I would do one, and feel that as a traditional cruiser may be of use to some people. Just a bit about us – I am early 70’s and we have been on 45 cruises over 25 years on 10 different cruiselines. Our last 17 cruises have been 14 to HAL, 2 to Oceania Riviera, and one on Celebrity Eclipse. You can see from this we love HAL, we actually quite like Oceania though feel it has not got the ambience of HAL, and hated Celebrity.

Our cruise on Koningsdam was from Rome back to Rome. The transfers and embarkation and disembarkation were good, in fact embarkation took 25 minutes from walking into the hall to arriving in cabin. For a ship of this size we thought that excellent. From the point of view of getting on and off during the cruise, again very, very good. Two gangplanks – one for excursion passengers, one for everyone else. We were usually everyone else and never once encountered queues.

Arriving in our cabin we were pleased. Feel cabin is smaller but well thought out. The only problem I encountered was getting from the window side of the cabin to the bathroom at night without waking husband. The end of the wardrobe unit had a corner unit with a glass cupboard at the top, then a shelf with the tray (which overlapped the edge) with the ice bucket and finally a shelf with the fruit basket. That felt quite narrow in the dark. Things we really liked – the bathroom very light and well lit and the shower compartment which was about the equivalent of the old bath in size had a glass door. You could stand in one end of it without getting wet whilst adjusting the water pressure and heat. The cabin had a large flat screen TV positioned on the wall opposite the bed, and the safe was big enough for laptop, cameras, jewellery and paperwork.

Then up to lunch in the Lido. We liked the decor of all the eating places particularly the MDR, Lido and Tamarind. The Lido was quite difficult to get a table at busy times but then it is on the other ships. The food we enjoyed very much. Realise this is subjective but we are not foodies eating out in expensive restaurants, nor (except for the occasional pizza) fast food people and for us everything was good in the MDR where we had breakfast and dinner, and Tamarind which was excellent. We had one pizza at the New York place which we thought was also good. We did not go to Canaletto which we had recently gone off as since the shared dishes less keen on the menu. Strangely this time, for the first time we didn’t go to the Pinnacle.

Whilst we liked the decor of the eating places, we were much less keen on the lounges which were geared to the music walk and seemed dark for sitting in during the day. The crow’s nest which we thought was the only really nice place to sit we found a bit strange as because they had put very well spaced groups of chairs around coffee tables and used actually quite big chairs we felt that there was actually less seating than on the R and S class ships. This of course showed up badly at trivia time and things like the flower arranging demo which is now up there.

The ocean bar was also a nice area with a few large chairs and a grand piano, but strangely with a wall across the middle which meant half the room could not see the pianist. I guess the two storey Queens Room would be nice at night, and they also serve afternoon tea there. There is a large dance floor and they even made what used to be called Dutch High Tea into a tea dance. The word Dutch has been removed and the food choice reduced as just the same as the usual afternoon tea.

The big hit was the classical quintet. Yes, quintet – strange when they have reduced to duo’s on other ships. They were from the Lincoln Centre and were superb garnering crowds of about 70+ - more we felt than other musical offerings on the walk. The downside was no more listening to them in an attractive explorer’s lounge with a big flower arrangement and lamps. The whole area is drab and consists of row up row of club chairs.

The crew was as usual superb. We are of the opinion that HAL has the best crew at sea. As well as the cabin stewards and dining stewards I was particularly impressed with the lovely crew on the gangplank who rushed up or down it to help me every time I ventured ashore.

Those were the generally good things, or things we were fairly happy to live with. Of course there were things we did not like so much.

Firstly I should say here that I am getting steadily more disabled and walk with two sticks finding walking painful. This is the area Koningsdam lets you down badly as compared with Nieuw Amsterdam which had three fixed seats in all the escalator areas, seating here and there along corridors, room usually to find a seat in the main music areas, bench seats at the entrance to the dining room. All of that has gone. In the Thermal Suite area you went in the reception area by the lifts, then went up a long corridor past two gym classrooms to the main gym, turned left along another long corridor past the treatment rooms, left again along another long corridor to get to the thermal suite (at the other side of the escalators.) This completely took away the pleasure of the heated beds on my arthritis. To walk to the dining room because the musical areas were full and the last area was again another very long corridor where they could quite easily put seats was a nightmare. The dining room manager one evening offered us a bleeper and I pointed out there was absolutely nowhere for me to take it where I could sit down.

The promenade deck was a great disappointment. DH likes to walk there every day but after two days gave up because he said it was a miserable experience. We also sit on the promenade deck. We are cruisers who love the sea and like sitting looking at the movement of the water, any seabirds and land when there is any. We have never in all our cruises sat on the pool deck facing the pool, music in the background and noise. Even when we have a balcony we still sit on the prom deck because the land is often on the other side, or it is too windy or sunny on the balcony side. The size of the promenade deck worries us if there is an emergency too.

Our next disappointment was no library. DH usually checks it out immediately after lunch the first day. He was back very quickly. The library bit is the size of a cabin with the bathroom and wardrobes removed. Shelves along one side contain games, a shelf on the other wall contains a few travel books, the third open side has round about 15 coffee table books on open shelving. No books to browse or borrow and no magazines. Definitely no squashy sofas as on the R and S class ships. There is an area next to this with like a breakfast bar by the window with about 3/4 computers and some squashed up tables and chairs to play games or drink coffee. This was devastating and upset a lot of people we met. As people said even if you had a kindle when on a cruise they always borrowed a book or two and I do the same. DH has nothing electronic and loved the browse the books.

These three things are dealbreakers for us and we will not be travelling on Koningsdam again.

The other two things that we did not like but might live with are there is no cinema, just a large screen on the pool deck. If I have showered and got dressed up for dinner there is no way I want to lie on a sunbed under a glass roof, with the pool splashing alongside, people passing through and in quiet bits of film people playing table tennis above. We lasted 15 minutes. It was like being in a sportshall.

Finally although the programme said formal (or rather gala) for dress they have abolished the captain’s toast. Many people said the captain had just become a disembodied voice and they did not know who the officers were. Worse than this I felt was that many passengers just degraded the whole evening and there were many men in shirt sleeves in the dining room, and lots with suits but not ties.

Thank you for your well thought out review. I think many of the negatives you have pointed out reflect the fact that HAL is trying to attract a younger crowd. I look forward to the positives and will be aware of the negatives for our January cruise. I'll be sure my Nook is loaded with a few good books to read. Bob

Edited by CTBob

Thank you for your well thought out review. I think many of the negatives you have pointed out reflect the fact that HAL is trying to attract a younger crowd. I look forward to the positives and will be aware of the negatives for our January cruise. I'll be sure my Nook is loaded with a few good books to read. Bob

Bob, there is another thread in answer to the deplorable library situation. Books were supposed to be on the shelves, but delayed in transit. A Seattle book store is shipping boxes and boxes of (mostly destination related) books to the K. Hopefully they will have arrived by January for you - but stay tuned - I am sure you will hear when they arrive.

Mancunian; thanks for the report. It sounds like some of the 'new ship growing pains' are easing up; but that some structural and design 'flaws' are due to the intent to change the demographics of the HAL cruiser. Thankfully, there are plenty of other choices for you. Happy sailing.

Thank-you for posting your thoughts/reflections of your cruise on the Koningsdam. Your perspective is appreciated. I have not read anywhere about the lack of "sitting" benches or the maze to the Thermal suite area. This is an eye opener as we quite often travel with my DMIL of 86. She uses an "assistance stick" as she calls it but still enjoys a sit after a bit of a walk. We have not yet booked a cruise with her on the new ship and now shall wait until our completed cruise on the Koningsdam in December. Again Thank-you for your insightful observations.

Your review comfirms what I had already thought. Looking for a cruise in the future... checked out this new ship. We are similar in age and cruise history.

Do not have any mobility issues though.

Even so, no main deck, no library, no bath tubs in balcony or vista cabins. left me wanting, so decided we would pass on this ship for now.

I would prefer to go on the Nieuw Amsterdam again where I would still have a more traditional cruise experience.

We cruise Princess, HAL and Cunard primarily. It is amazing to me how much the various lines are copying one another, some good and some no so.

It appears this ship has copied the ballroom from Cunard and many of the characteristics from Celebrity, i..e, no library, no main deck... no bath tubs in balcony cabins.... for example. Even though we are elite on Celebrity I do not enjoy the new Celebrity ships.... actually tried them out a few times.

For our future cruise, will stick with the NA. I do agree it appears HAL is chasing the almighty dollar and younger cruisers with this new build.

Edited by pris993
meant to say, I donot enjoy the new Celebrity ships.

Interesting comment re library. The travel books are there already - one shelf of them. Cannot quite see where they are going to put more.

Writing this review was not to put people off, it was to make them think. There are many good things on Koningsdam. However for us the things NA does not have that Koningsdam has are not deal breakers to us. However, the things that Koningsdam does not have and NA does are important to us. We feel that NA is a much better ship and are going on her again in November.

It is for everyone to decide from my report and those of others what is important to them, but the warning about lack of seating and exceptionally long walks is very important to the very elderly and people with a walking disability.

Happy cruising everybody.

Thanks for your thoughtful review. We are looking forward to experiencing the Koningsdam in July.

Very sad to hear about the lack of books in the library - one of the things we always look forward to on HAL even though we normally read via the Kindle app on our iPads.

Thanks for your review. Like the other reviews there are lots of good & bad so people can make an informed decision about if they should or shouldn't cruise on her. I'm still trying to make up my mind if we want to or not.

Allan

Thank you so very much for your comprehensive review. Since I know a little something about your tastes, that you are not a Negative Nellie or HAL apologist, I know that I can trust your observations and take them to heart.

I can hope that there will be an improved library by the time I sail this ship. If not, then maybe someday in the near future that mistake can be corrected.

Perhaps places to sit and rest can be added along passages in the public areas, especially outside of areas where people congregate waiting for doors to open. You did say there is room for such.

Overall I hope you found more good than bad in your cruise, but from all I have read, I do understand your preference for other HAL ships.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know your point of view.

Interesting comment re library. The travel books are there already - one shelf of them. Cannot quite see where they are going to put more.

Writing this review was not to put people off, it was to make them think. There are many good things on Koningsdam. However for us the things NA does not have that Koningsdam has are not deal breakers to us. However, the things that Koningsdam does not have and NA does are important to us. We feel that NA is a much better ship and are going on her again in November.

It is for everyone to decide from my report and those of others what is important to them, but the warning about lack of seating and exceptionally long walks is very important to the very elderly and people with a walking disability.

Happy cruising everybody.

The 'destination specific' books is not just tour books. They plan reading groups and reading lists for 2017 which are 'destination specific'. I am thinking non-fiction located in one of the areas the ship cruises to. As HAL is pretty global, that could be anything from New England to New Zealand. I think the point I was trying to make is that it may not be the restful NA, but they are trying to resolve the problem and have some sort of library.

I am sorry they are not providing sufficient seating to support those wishing/needing a break enroute to somewhere else. This is certainly not one of the things indicated in other reviews. It is very helpful. Thanks.

I do appreciate your report. Thank you very much for taking the time to prepare it. Other than the lighting and the size of the shower in the bathroom, what was your opinion as to its layout and overall size?

As to the books, a poster made the comment that there was a "delay" in getting them to the Koningsdam. How can that be? In a previous thread, I was told when on the Statendam approaching Singapore the books being boxed were to be off-loaded, stored at Singapore until the Amsterdam arrived, re-loaded onto the Amsterdam and taken to Italy when the two ships would first meet. Transfer of the books would then taken place.

I am starting to believe that I was told another "fable" as I have been in the past when I have asked about certain operations on a HAL ship.

I do appreciate your report. Thank you very much for taking the time to prepare it. Other than the lighting and the size of the shower in the bathroom, what was your opinion as to its layout and overall size?

As to the books, a poster made the comment that there was a "delay" in getting them to the Koningsdam. How can that be? In a previous thread, I was told when on the Statendam approaching Singapore the books being boxed were to be off-loaded, stored at Singapore until the Amsterdam arrived, re-loaded onto the Amsterdam and taken to Italy when the two ships would first meet. Transfer of the books would then taken place.

I am starting to believe that I was told another "fable" as I have been in the past when I have asked about certain operations on a HAL ship.

There are other recent threads here about the atrocious / non existant library on the K. One links to a Seattle TV station Facebook coverage of the Elliott Bay Book Company being hired to provide books for the K and to develop a book reading list for 2017.

I mean, it was on the news so it must be true, right?...;)

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Your comments particularly about the promenade confirm what we have gleaned from deck plans and pictures. Some have chosen to criticize those of us who may have reached conclusions without actually sailing on the ship yet your comments confirm, at least for us, that our initial impressions were accurate. Hopefully you enjoyed the cruise but it sounds like it will be your last on this particular ship.

Thank you for the comprehensive and balanced review. Did you notice, on Gala nights, did the gals wear heels and hose? a lot is often written about men's dress, wondered about women. No criticism intended, just want to know for my decisions on future cruises.

Thanks for your wonderful review OP.

I have a question concerning cabin size that I hope you can answer. You mentioned that the cabin on the K was small. I have seen videos of different cabins on the K and I think that they look smaller than cabins on other HAL ships.

How would you compare the cabin size of the K to the NA? The NA is our favourite HAL ship and it seems like the balcony cabin on the NA are larger than the balcony cabins on the K.

Thanks for the review.

I am sad to have my suspicions regarding the lack of a proper prom walking deck confirmed.

The library issue is also bothersome but I suppose if enough people complain that HAL could perhaps find room somewhere on the ship for a proper library....but unfortunately it seems the prom deck leaves little room to hope that it could be made wider.

What a shame that on a big new ship the wide prom deck with deck chairs got left on the design room floor. Surely there is plenty of space inside already for further "revenue enhancements" without cutting out the wonderful wide wrap around decks that so many passengers enjoy and consider to be a crucial part of the cruise experience.

Thanks for your wonderful review OP.

I have a question concerning cabin size that I hope you can answer. You mentioned that the cabin on the K was small. I have seen videos of different cabins on the K and I think that they look smaller than cabins on other HAL ships.

How would you compare the cabin size of the K to the NA? The NA is our favourite HAL ship and it seems like the balcony cabin on the NA are larger than the balcony cabins on the K.

I'm not the OP but the small comments are strictly made due to the loss of the mirrored wall across from the TV. Mirrors make rooms larger, when in reality they aren't. The perception is real, I'm not denying the OP, just saying the feel doesn't necessarily match the tape measure. :)

Thanks for your review, it is greatly appreciated! I love the look of the ship, and some of the new features. I need to get feedback from DH about the promenade deck, since that is one area we utilize a lot. I really appreciate your comments about it. But so far, I think the good outweighs the poor promenade deck, and I'm definitely looking at cruises on the K-dam. That may change when DH sees the videos and stills of the promenade deck.

Edited by CowPrincess