RAIN! Excursions cancelled?

Jayfo

Leaving tomorrow for this long ago planned cruise but the weather forecast for every port shows 80%+ chance of rain. :( Does Carnival cancel their excursions for pounding rain/storms? Kids are bummed about the upcoming dolphin snorkel most of all. I say pack the rain gear and carry on but for the snorkeling in almost every port, it's looking like it will be a washout. Boo. Hiss.

It does depend on the excursion. If the storm would mean that the safety of the guest would be compromised they cancel it. With that said, summer in Florida and the Caribbean it rains almost every day. Now, it usually rains between 3 and 6 and for only an hour. You should be ok. Enjoy your cruise.

We were in Cozumel once when it poured. We were given the option to cancel our excursion or go in the rain. We opted to give it a try and had a blast. I can't say that you will always be given a choice but unless there is a safety issue, they will try to keep the excursions going.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do not know if this is still the case, but until at least recently the tour descriptions contained language stating tours go rain or shine. It is up to the tour vendor to decide whether or not to cancel and I am sure they would only do so if the impact is severe.

Having said that, the chance of rain in the Caribbean is always high. :p Usually the rain does not last long though.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Just moved to Florida so I've seen the afternoon shower followed by the blazing heat & humidity (yay for thick frizzy hair :eek:) and I was wondering if the cruise would be any different if the storms didn't let up.

Don't lose heart! The forecast showed 80% chance of rain at both ports last year (Cozumel, Progresso) and it ended up being sunny and blue skies! We never even saw a sprinkle. So now I don't even look up the forecast - it just stresses me out. :)

We had rain (and in at least one case, thunderstorms) in the forecast for every one of the ports on my last cruise. In reality it only rained once, for about an hour, and we were on the tour bus on our way back from an excursion when it happened anyway. I don't think you have anything to worry about. From what I hear, rain in the forecast for the Caribbean usually means a passing shower, not all day or most of the day like it would here in the US. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

Leaving tomorrow for this long ago planned cruise but the weather forecast for every port shows 80%+ chance of rain. :( Does Carnival cancel their excursions for pounding rain/storms? Kids are bummed about the upcoming dolphin snorkel most of all. I say pack the rain gear and carry on but for the snorkeling in almost every port, it's looking like it will be a washout. Boo. Hiss.

Remember, that rain in the Caribbean is like rain in Florida most times...there is one small storm and in 30 minutes it's over. Not always the case but keep that in mind. For our April 2013 cruise, my MIL's 60th birthday celebration, we had 5 ports and she was bummed that "it was going to rain 75+ chance in each one." It rained once for 5 minutes while snorkeling and then passed over. Sun came out soon after.

The only snorkeling excursion that was ever cancelled for us was in Belize - pounding thunderstorms from 1am (great to see from the vast ocean view of the ship) through 7am. No visability underwater so rightfully but disappointingly so, it was cancelled.

I hope you get nothing but sunshine!!!! bring sunscreen rain or shine!

They usually only cancel for lightning, which most storms don't have in the Caribbean. The vendors call rain "Liquid Sunshine". We have snorkeled and swam with the dolphins in liquid sunshine. Most of the time it only last 30 minutes to hour tops.

Every time I go to the Caribbean there is a forecast for thunderstorms - and usually I've seen one nearby. Sometimes it hits, sometimes it is off in the distance. Unless it is some kind of huge system, I wouldnt worry about it.

Rain doesn't stop most of the excursions. But if there are waves with the rain that can be a different story. Even waves without rain can cause cancellations. On our cruise in March there were some large waves in Cozumel and several Carnival excursions were cancelled. There were people walking around trying to figure out what to do since their excursion was cancelled. Since most of them said they wanted to go someplace where their children could play in the sand I suggested Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach.

They cancelled excursions in Roatan when there was flooding but didn't bother to tell anyone. I went out in the drizzle and waited and waited for the person. Ran to the taxi stand area and was told they left already, then told it was cancelled. Got back on ship and went to excursion desk and was told it was cancelled. Thanks a lot.

Many of the island have a 3pm shower that is brief but will make it be an 80% chance of rain forecast.

Best buy ever on Carnival was a $1.99 poncho sold when it was raining at a port.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Don't fret about those forecasts. We were on vacation in Mexico last month at a very expensive all inclusive. I looked at the forecasts every day the week before we left and saw our $$$$ going down the drain, since our only plan was for the beach. We could have canceled because we had a cancel for any reason policy, but we went anyway and ended up having sunny skies for all but 2 hours of the trip. It rained one afternoon from 3-5 pm. I would have been kicking myself from here to Kingdom come if I had cancelled the trip. It was a great vacation.

Edited by DebJ14

Those APPS are known for having a hard time with the weather in the tropics this time of year. Rain might be for 5 mins and the 80% is right because it did rain. It isn't like forecasting the weather in the U.S. You are in the tropics, and it will probably rain on you several times, but it probably won't impact your vacation.

The Caribbean is like Florida. Usually passing showers. Once in 12 cruises we had a cancelled excursion. It was a dive excursion and cancelled due to poor visibility in the water. We went with the flow, booked a different excursion and took the teenagers on an ATV adventure complete with huge mud puddles. They still claim it as their favorite!

I do not know if this is still the case, but until at least recently the tour descriptions contained language stating tours go rain or shine. It is up to the tour vendor to decide whether or not to cancel and I am sure they would only do so if the impact is severe.

Having said that, the chance of rain in the Caribbean is always high. :p Usually the rain does not last long though.

This is not true, as a 50 ton USCG Capt, the Harbour Master makes most of the decisions on small craft trips or any trips dealing with boating. Zip lines and interior type trips can be cancelled at tour operators discretion. My son is also a Capt, work for a sailing tour in STT. The last thing these companies want to do is cancel a several thousand dollar tour. Snorkeling in the rain is so much fun.

We had pouring rain for our dolphin encounter excursion in Cozumel. They still had the excursion if you still wanted to go. They refunded anyone who opted not to go.

Most people went and so did we and it rained on and off throughout our excursion, but we had a blast! We did not get to enjoy the beach afterwards, but we were OK with that, we had fun with the dolphins!

Enjoy your cruise!

You will find out.

Rain doesn't stop most of the excursions. But if there are waves with the rain that can be a different story. Even waves without rain can cause cancellations. On our cruise in March there were some large waves in Cozumel and several Carnival excursions were cancelled. There were people walking around trying to figure out what to do since their excursion was cancelled. Since most of them said they wanted to go someplace where their children could play in the sand I suggested Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach.

Well Mr. Sancho's is already reserved that day for us...that will be one almost sure thing. Even if it rains. ;)