Escape to sail from NYC in 2018???

shipfriend_max

Bummer: I have found NCL Escape for summer and fall 2018 on the cruise list for Portland, Maine: http://www.cruiseportlandmaine.com/why-cruise-here/cruise-schedule/2018-2/

Seems she is going to replace Gem out of NYC, which might sail elsewhere then...

So NCL may have to huge ships from NYC in 2018? Escape and Breakaway...:eek::cool:

Very interesting indeed. Makes me wonder if it is true or just a place holder for the time being until NCL makes full arrangements.

It is always curious to me how they build and promote a ship as a "Miami" ship and then send it north to somewhere else.

Guess we will wait and see

Interesting and I hope this is true. Will it do Caribbean in the summer? Sailing on Escape July 2017 with dh but want to do a cruise with kids, 22 and 18 along with my mom and sisters family with three boys under 12 Summer or NYE 2018. Have done the Breakaway three times and if we can not have to fly the Escape would be perfect. Will look tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So with the Getaway moving to Europe and the Escape moving to NYC...that will leave NCL with what ship in Miami?

I know the Epic will sail out of Port Canaveral and they'll likely have a ship in Tampa but I find it comical that they can't make the Caribbean work with 2 big ships out of Miami when RCL makes it work with more than twice the capacity out of FLL. Maybe if they raised cruise prices by $50-100 per cabin and didn't nickle and dime everyone so much then they'd have higher yields.

There also remains the possibility that the Escape and Breakaway just swap home ports and Gem stays in NYC. It could also be possible that the Gem does Bermuda and the Escape would then do FL/Bahamas and Canada/NE in summer/fall 2018. It will be some time before NCL release summer 2018 itineraries. I don't think they have fully completed the winter 2017/spring 2018 deployments yet :eek:

MSC is growing on the Caribbean and so is RCL with the addition of the Harmony of the Seas later on this year and the Oasis moving to Port Canaveral.

NCL is going to be run out of town. They really offer nothing unique or special. They're a bit cheaper than RCL but RCL doesn't nickle and dime you like NCL. Carnival is also improving their product and image with the addition of Vista.

NCL should get rid of the free drinks promotion, cut the price of the drink package to about $45-50, increase cruise fares by $50-100 and include 4 nights in a specialty restaurant, and rename mini-suites "large balconies".

MSC is growing on the Caribbean and so is RCL with the addition of the Harmony of the Seas later on this year and the Oasis moving to Port Canaveral.

NCL is going to be run out of town. They really offer nothing unique or special. They're a bit cheaper than RCL but RCL doesn't nickle and dime you like NCL. Carnival is also improving their product and image with the addition of Vista.

NCL should get rid of the free drinks promotion, cut the price of the drink package to about $45-50, increase cruise fares by $50-100 and include 4 nights in a specialty restaurant, and rename mini-suites "large balconies".

Where's the "LIKE" button when you need it!

So with the Getaway moving to Europe and the Escape moving to NYC...that will leave NCL with what ship in Miami? ... I find it comical that they can't make the Caribbean work with 2 big ships out of Miami when RCL makes it work with more than twice the capacity out of FLL. Maybe if they raised cruise prices by $50-100 per cabin and didn't nickle and dime everyone so much then they'd have higher yields.

+1 ;) :D :p :eek: - wow, same "milky" runs, however. Or, maybe not.

What about the onboard spending/revenue drop ?? Maybe another round of increases in DSC, new fees, service charges, supplement and "yield management" in cost cutting. All of which aren't necessary going to fix their revenue shortfall. Wall Street is trying to remain upbeat and bullish on outlook & growth.

Just checkout the latest round of last minute discounts and fire sale for September, amazing fares & deals out on the coastal out on the West Coast - unsold staterooms sailing empty could be the newest strategy, whether it's going to be successful or not ... we shall see, almost 2/3 way into Q3 already.

Maybe the Escape deployment out of NYC in 2018 means that the 2018 newbuild is going to take over the year-round Miami runs, currently operated by Escape (and Getaway this summer and winter season 2017/18).

But this also means that we have Epic another season in Europe from Barcelona - was hoping for the newbuild... :rolleyes:

Interesting where Gem is going to sail, I would like to see her back in Europe in 2018 to sail from Venice or Rome and replace either Star or Spirit.

RCL's Anthem of the Seas visited Boston recently so maybe the Escape is headed to Boston...one can hope!! :D

We know Boston can handle a ship that size. The port authority has said they are expanding to eventually have cruise ships sail year round out of Boston. I would love to have a 9 day itinerary like the Anthem of the Seas Bermuda/Caribbean runs with the 5 day Bermuda runs in between. FDR has said that although the Caribbean bookings have been 'soft" Bermuda bookings remain very strong.

Edited by Chesneygirl

There also remains the possibility that the Escape and Breakaway just swap home ports and Gem stays in NYC

That's what I am hoping-don't take my Gem away!

Maybe the Escape has a retractable roof over the pool and Breakaway doesn't? That would make it better for winters out of NY...

That's what I am hoping-don't take my Gem away!

Maybe the Escape has a retractable roof over the pool and Breakaway doesn't? That would make it better for winters out of NY...

Breakaway has a retractable roof I believe the Escape does not but I could be wrong as I have never sailed Escape though if it sails out of NY I will.

Bummer: I have found NCL Escape for summer and fall 2018 on the cruise list for Portland, Maine: http://www.cruiseportlandmaine.com/why-cruise-here/cruise-schedule/2018-2/

Seems she is going to replace Gem out of NYC, which might sail elsewhere then...

So NCL may have to huge ships from NYC in 2018? Escape and Breakaway...:eek::cool:

I see it for September and October only

RCL's Anthem of the Seas visited Boston recently so maybe the Escape is headed to Boston...one can hope!! :D

We know Boston can handle a ship that size. The port authority has said they are expanding to eventually have cruise ships sail year round out of Boston. I would love to have a 9 day itinerary like the Anthem of the Seas Bermuda/Caribbean runs with the 5 day Bermuda runs in between. FDR has said that although the Caribbean bookings have been 'soft" Bermuda bookings remain very strong.

Boston can accommodate the larger ships in the harbor but the problem comes with loading them. The tidal flows in Boston harbor are such that we can't provision a large ship without multiple transfers. It would delay sailing and not to mention the cruise lines don't like to sail around Cape Cod as it's more to their fuel economy and impacting the bottom line. Heading further south this is the issue and why they haven't based any year round ships here yet - especially none with large capacities. I would like to see the Escape home port in Boston but I don't think it'll happen. Now that they've re-done the Dawn it's like having a new ship in Boston so that's good enough for now I guess. Just don't look at her outside. :cool:

That's because Bermuda is far nicer than the Caribbean ports .

I would love that! Tired of the Dawn.