Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Princess

shredie

The corporation does. This has been coming up a lot lately, and I think some people need to have their confusion sorted. My analogy is that Carnival Corporation is like the dad, and the individual cruise lines are his sons (or I guess you can do mothers and daughter if you choose). Carnival Corporation's first name is "Carnival," and he has a son named "Carnival," too. His son is Carnival Cruise Lines. He also has other sons named "Princess," "HAL," etc. Dad makes the rules for all the sons. The son Carnival CL does not get to make the rules for everyone. He has the same first name as his dad, but he's not the dad.

I'm sure someone else can explain this better than I can, but it is inaccurate to say that Carnival Cruise Lines owns Princess.

Carnival Cruise Lines back in the 1980's started buying other cruise lines and retaining their names and staff. The company then became Carnival Corp & PLC registered in the USA and UK for a dual listed corporation. Carnival Corp is a holding company with 10 operating cruise lines in their portfolio each run independently by a president. The 10 individual cruise lines acting independently can and do compete with each other although Carnival Corp announced about a year or so ago that they were making moves to stop the competition between the 10 different cruise lines. The 10 cruise lines were organized into groups with Princess being part of the Holland America Group (HAL, Princess, Seabourn and P&O Cruises Australia). Because the subsidiary cruise lines are operated as separate cruise lines is why there is not much sharing between them like recognizing loyalty levels. Do not confuse Carnival Corp & plc with CCL, one of its subsidiary cruise lines.

Interesting side note is that RCCL was in the process of merging with P&O Princess Cruises when Carnival Corp executed a hostile takeover of P&O Princess dividing it into P&O Cruises UK, P&O Cruises Australia and Princess Cruise Line - three separate cruise lines all owned by Carnival Corp & plc.

Edited by satxdiver

Carnival Cruise Lines back in the 1980's started buying other cruise lines and retaining their names and staff. The company then became Carnival Corp & PLC registered in the USA and UK for a dual listed corporation. Carnival Corp is a holding company with 10 operating cruise lines in their portfolio each run independently by a president. The 10 individual cruise lines acting independently can and do compete with each other although Carnival Corp announced about a year or so ago that they were making moves to stop the competition between the 10 different cruise lines. The 10 cruise lines were organized into groups with Princess being part of the Holland America Group (HAL, Princess, Seabourn and P&O Cruises Australia). Because the subsidiary cruise lines are operated as separate cruise lines is why there is not much sharing between them like recognizing loyalty levels. Do not confuse Carnival Corp & plc with CCL, one of its subsidiary cruise lines.

Interesting side note is that RCCL was in the process of merging with P&O Princess Cruises when Carnival Corp executed a hostile takeover of P&O Princess dividing it into P&O Cruises UK, P&O Cruises Australia and Princess Cruise Line - three separate cruise lines all owned by Carnival Corp & plc.

Regarding the P&O side they were always separate lines. Carnival never divided them at all. P&O was originally part of the P&O Ports and demerged around 2001. P&O has had a long history and had formed many cruise lines under its banner like Princess, P&O Australia, Swan Hellenic, Ocean Village.

If you look at some of the older Princess ships like Grand, Golden and Star Princess you can still see the P&O markings on the side that have been painted over.

For those of us who cruised P&O and Princess prior to Carnival getting its claws in the operation remember the quality to be much better than what it is today with much more inclusive options throughout the cruise.

Prior to the Carnival merger P&O existed as P&O UK, Princess, P&O Australia, Ocean Village and Swan Hellenic. Carnival did not split them into what we know today.

Carnival Corporation owns many cruise lines.

Different lines which operate their own brand to meet the needs of varied passenger desires.

AIDA Cruises, Carnival Cruise Line, Costa, Cunard, fathom, Holland America, Ibero cruises, P&O (UK & Australia), Princess, Seabourn, etc.

:)

Actually, Carnival Corp & PLC is incorporated in Panama and UK, not the US.

I think Dad told his son, HAL, that he was going to have to share his toy private island. I think he also told him it was going to be refurnished with a pirate ship bar with really loud speakers and huge high-rise cabanas.

And I think he told most of his children that they were also going to share Grand Turk, Amber Cove, and Mahogany Bay.

Edited by John Reid

Carnival Corporation owns many cruise lines.

Different lines which operate their own brand to meet the needs of varied passenger desires.

AIDA Cruises, Carnival Cruise Line, Costa, Cunard, fathom, Holland America, Ibero cruises, P&O (UK & Australia), Princess, Seabourn, etc.

:)

simply put..:)

. Do not confuse Carnival Corp & plc with CCL, one of its subsidiary cruise lines.

Ah, but you jut did.

Carnival Corp and plc is listed on the New York Stock Exchange as "CCL".

Calling the daughter cruise line Carnival Cruises CCL is just adding to the confusion.

The corporation does. This has been coming up a lot lately, and I think some people need to have their confusion sorted. My analogy is that Carnival Corporation is like the dad, and the individual cruise lines are his sons (or I guess you can do mothers and daughter if you choose). Carnival Corporation's first name is "Carnival," and he has a son named "Carnival," too. His son is Carnival Cruise Lines. He also has other sons named "Princess," "HAL," etc. Dad makes the rules for all the sons. The son Carnival CL does not get to make the rules for everyone. He has the same first name as his dad, but he's not the dad.

I'm sure someone else can explain this better than I can, but it is inaccurate to say that Carnival Cruise Lines owns Princess.

WHO CARES.....it is all semantics....and I wish Princess (passengers take themselves way to seriously and they are not all that!!) was a lot more like Carnival...:D:D

semantics! If Nissan owns Rolls Royce it doesn't make a rolls any less of a Rolls

Regarding the P&O side they were always separate lines. Carnival never divided them at all. P&O was originally part of the P&O Ports and demerged around 2001. P&O has had a long history and had formed many cruise lines under its banner like Princess, P&O Australia, Swan Hellenic, Ocean Village.

If you look at some of the older Princess ships like Grand, Golden and Star Princess you can still see the P&O markings on the side that have been painted over.

1991 Crown Princess.

e43cb9c608f53b6435508f8d3e6c9244.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

semantics! If Nissan owns Rolls Royce it doesn't make a rolls any less of a Rolls

That's true. So tell that to the several posters of late who wonder why Carnival's loyalty points don't count on Princess because "Carnival owns Princess." Etc.

Who cares? It isn't mandatory to open a thread and comment. :rolleyes: