Hurricane Matthew - Princess Cays

CRLess

Just watching the satellite image of the current motion of Matthew....Princess Cays is going to take a shellacking :( It is on the Northeast side of the storm, which is the worst possible hit from a hurricane. Keeping my fingers crossed that the residents of the island are safe and damage is minimal.

Watching this storm with interest... as we are on a TA leaving Spain next October 21.... would hate to head into a storm...

Do hope folks are safe...

Wonder what happens to folks on ships in this situation...

Just watching the satellite image of the current motion of Matthew....Princess Cays is going to take a shellacking :( It is on the Northeast side of the storm, which is the worst possible hit from a hurricane. Keeping my fingers crossed that the residents of the island are safe and damage is minimal.

The Weather Channel is talking to an official in Nassau, and they are talking about storm surge. The Bahamas are basically flat. I think Princess Cays will be almost under water if the storm surge is as high as they are expecting. Thoughts and prayers going out to all affected by this storm.

AC

Watching this storm with interest... as we are on a TA leaving Spain next October 21.... would hate to head into a storm...

Do hope folks are safe...

Wonder what happens to folks on ships in this situation...

Oct 22 is more than two weeks away, Matthew will be long gone from the area by then.

As for ships at sea during a storm, they steer around and away from the. For all the ships that are supposed to be into port in South Florida between now and Friday, the ships will stay at sea until the can return. And the cruise following will be cut short....usually with compensation for those who are missing a day or two or so of their sailing

Happy sails to you on your TA.

Princess Cays will likely are some major storm surge and a solid battering from the winds and rain. In sure the place has been locked down as tight as it can be made.. Fingers crossed there's no massive damage....

Edited by reedprincess

Princess Cays will likely are some major storm surge and a solid battering from the winds and rain. In sure the place has been locked down as tight as it can be made.. Fingers crossed there's no massive damage....

I'm guessing that the first few stops at Princess Cay will be skipped until they rebuild some of the structures. I can't believe they won't escape major damage.

Maybe they can substitute Freeport in it's place for a while, which wouldn't be all bad for a change. Although it's OK I'm getting a little tired of Princess Cays.

I will agree with you on 'change' itinerary for Princess Cays. I will say though that I hope little damage is done and have enjoyed the stops at Princess Cays, we are now at a point of 'been there/done that' and have searched out cruises without the stop at Cays. The stop has become an anchored ship day for us, so we enjoy the ship and no longer go to shore.

If I had grandchildren with me, Princess Cays would certainly be a high on the list destination for the beach, but wow- when did sand become so difficult to walk in. :-) My age and knees are creeping up on me..

I will agree with you on 'change' itinerary for Princess Cays. I will say though that I hope little damage is done and have enjoyed the stops at Princess Cays, we are now at a point of 'been there/done that' and have searched out cruises without the stop at Cays. The stop has become an anchored ship day for us, so we enjoy the ship and no longer go to shore.

If I had grandchildren with me, Princess Cays would certainly be a high on the list destination for the beach, but wow- when did sand become so difficult to walk in. :-) My age and knees are creeping up on me..

It's tough walking that's for sure compared to any other beach we go to in the Caribbean. It's to bad they can't dredge up some finer sand & fill over all the rocks.

Maybe they can substitute Freeport in it's place for a while, which wouldn't be all bad for a change. Although it's OK I'm getting a little tired of Princess Cays.

Freeport is getting clobbered right now too...

We went to Nassau several years ago on a December cruise after damage to Princess Cays earlier in the hurricane season. I believe it was an October storm as well. We stayed on the ship in Nassau. It's not our favorite port and not really a good substitution for a relaxing day at the beach at Princess Cays. Grand Turk would have been better, but I guess operational considerations kept us from going there.

One year it was closed for months.

We were on the first ship to go to the island after they re-opened it... It was our Sun Princess cruise back in 2006. I was looking forward to going as we have not been back since. We are scheduled to be there November 17th. If the damage is not too bad, they may be able to get it cleaned up and open by then.

If I were going to sub in a port, we would leave port Everglades, then a day at sea on the 17th, then a stop in St. Croix or San Juan on the 18th. That would give us plenty of time to get back on track and stop in St. Thomas on Nov 19th as planned.

We are already scheduled to be in Grand Turk two times on this 14 day itinerary.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.

AC

Edited by CaliforniaAC

We were on the first ship to go to the island after they re-opened it... It was our Sun Princess cruise back in 2006. I was looking forward to going as we have not been back since. We are scheduled to be there November 17th. If the damage is not too bad, they may be able to get it cleaned up and open by then.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.

Actually - I think it has been damaged a few times :(.

I agree - prayers to everyone affected. I can't even imagine....

We are riding out the storm here in Boca Raton, FL (between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach). Hope everyone stays safe.

Stay safe!!

I rode out the storm in Jamaica (working here). When I finally freaked out enough to leave there were no flights out and then, we were barely affected. we've had more rain today than during hurricane watch.

It was a huge relief that we were safe, but Haiti was hit hard :( and Florida is at risk. So scary.

We are planning on being at Princess Cays in March. It will be our first time. I wonder how bad the damage will be.

Prayers for everyone involved in this storm.

We are riding out the storm here in Boca Raton, FL (between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach). Hope everyone stays safe.

Oh my! Please stay safe. We just left friends who have a condo on Cape Canaveral beach yesterday and are praying for them as well.