Do you cruise for the ship or the ports?

BOTH- Although I should say we booked the Allure 2016/Christmas -to experience a large ship!! It helps that the list of ports are warm weather locations. Coming from cold Montana we need a 'warm weather' vacation.

My husband seems to enjoy the relaxation that the boat can provide. I love the excursions. Either way we are happy.

:D

It depends on the itinerary as some are the same ports and then we just go for the ship experience. As I say that it is important to us to see some new ports but we do love those sea days especially TA days. We have experienced so many wonderful ports in Europe that although we love to cruise some of the trips afford just some wonderful time on the ship. We try to pick some places that we have not seen and yes, we would get off at some of the ports Don't you love just being on the ship and away from all this mess going on?

Itinerary is our primary consideration, and includes both the selection of ports and number of sea days. The specific ship or line is a secondary consideration, although there are lines we prefer and those we wouldn't use. Add to that mix sales and perks and we somehow come to a decision!

I'll cruise on any ship that has a Promenade and sails in the Caribbean (east, west or south) from November through April.

Warm weather is the key, the Promenade is to get coffee before 7:00 a.m. and after 12 midnight.

DH and I like cruising as a form of vacation (we do more land trips however). He could go on a cruise to nowhere and be happy. He just likes to be on a ship. I couldn't do that. I cruise as an enjoyable method to get to different ports.

How about you?

It depends, but in next couple of years we will sail based on itinerary.

We too are doing lots of land based trips right now and see us continuing that trend as we gain granddaughters (no grandsons yet). :)

Not sure I could just stay on ship, but have done 5 straight days due to a missed port in 2009. Was glad to get off and tour some too.

We love the sea days too and some of our favorite times have been when everyone else gets off the ship in port. Feels like our own private ship. I do wish they would leave the dining room open on port days though.

Me too!!!! I traveled with my parents years ago and they did leave the dining room open at sea days. It was like a private dining room!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For me it's really hard to answer. I like the oasis class ship but don't like when it goes to eastern itinerary and waste like 5 hrs in Nassau and only 2 more port of call left. I like when a ship has more port days, but I don't like when onboard an old ship. What a dilema [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not into sailing just for the ship, but DH loves the Oasis class, so we work in one of those every year to keep him happy. I prefer to have at least as many port days as sea days, so haven't booked a southern TA. Maybe I will feel differently in a decade or two when my wanderlust has faded.

Cruise Time

The ship is our destination ,then the ports . We have seen most of what want in the ports . Go ashore a bit on port days. Then head back to ship. And enjoy our time on the ship. That's our best cruise time':)

Best times Cruising

kruise runner :cool:, kruise kat:)

It depends, but in next couple of years we will sail based on itinerary.

We too are doing lots of land based trips right now and see us continuing that trend as we gain granddaughters (no grandsons yet). :)

Not sure I could just stay on ship, but have done 5 straight days due to a missed port in 2009. Was glad to get off and tour some too.

this...

Like to just relax and enjoy the sea around me.

and this. We like both. It's exciting to visit favorite ports and see new ones, but there's nothing like hanging around the ship and enjoying all the activities too.

The majority of time we cruise for the ports/countries first and then find a ship we will be happy to cruise on. We like to see new things but also enjoy the cruising experience - and we love sea days, especially on a port intensive cruise :)

DH and I like cruising as a form of vacation (we do more land trips however). He could go on a cruise to nowhere and be happy. He just likes to be on a ship. I couldn't do that. I cruise as an enjoyable method to get to different ports.

How about you?

Always the ship after being to all these ports so many times.

How about you?

I like both types of holidays. Sometimes the ship appeals eg. Oasis class. Enough on the ship that I don't care where it is going. Other ships might not appeal so much but it doesn't matter if there is a good itinerary.

When booking a cruise, I make a decision on what type of holiday I am after. Relaxation on my favourite ship or a tour of my favourite ports.

Both the ship and the itinerary. Having either vacationed on or visited most of the Islands in the Caribbean, I rarely get off the ship and prefer the more intimate, less hustle and bustle nature of the smaller ships (not a fan of Oasis or Quantum class). I also find the Southern Caribbean, ABC islands, to have the most consistent weather and when I am cruising, I want to be warm and dry!