souvenirs?

cruisentn

We've gradually started getting things we can USE. Towels, etc. Although I did buy one of those little puzzle houses in Belize where I could post on my Facebook that I

'Bought a house in Belize!'

What's your souvenir gig? I mean, you feel the need to buy something to bring home.

If I need something new, or see something I can use, like towels, or glasses - I buy them. Also buy souvenirs for friends and family, mostly the edible type, like maple cookies from Canada, or coffee and rum from Caribbean.

As for us - photos are the best souvenirs.

Occasionally we will buy something hand made from the individual that made it that can be hung on a wall or set on an end table that is representative of the islands we've visited.

Separately, I buy a coffee mug from the ship's gift store that is of the ship that we are on. To date I have 15 different mugs representing the 15 different ships we've been on. (Only one from each, even though we've been on a number of ships several times).

We are very big into Christmas and have several trees during the season. One of my trees I call my vacation tree. I pick up an ornament from each place we go (cruise & land) and place those on the tree each year. It has to be something made by a local though.

Hubby picks up a travel mug on each ship we have been on and I have picked up coffee mugs from places we have stopped at as well. Something fun to drink our coffee out of each day that reminds us that not every day is a work day

We've gradually started getting things we can USE. Towels, etc. Although I did buy one of those little puzzle houses in Belize where I could post on my Facebook that I

'Bought a house in Belize!'

What's your souvenir gig? I mean, you feel the need to buy something to bring home.

I used to get both a christmas ornament and magnet.

my current fridge is stainless steel and NOT magnetic, so all the ones from prior cruises are stuck in a plastic bag in my junk drawer. I have also decided that I probably will not ever do another Tree, as they are just too much effort, the cats like to eat the (fake) needles and no one ever actually enjoys it since we have no social life or friends.

I find myself getting away from them overall. who needs another sand filled glass jar that's been etched with 'insert caribbean island here' i have three hundred too many coffee mugs or shot glasses already.

We don't buy or need things to "remind" us of a great vacation....if you can't recall your vacation without some "doo-dad", it was a waste of money!

Now, if I see something I can use or love, that I can't get at home, I'll buy it.

For ports that are new to us, a little bit of cultural research will quickly identify native arts and crafts that typify the region as well as any artists' collectives or well respected dealers doing retail sales. Though it means not necessarily buying something at every stop, we generally go looking for something very particular, which is unusual and unique while offering affordable value.

Bottom line: stuff with a story.

We don't buy knicknacks either. I prefer to get specialty food items if possible, or useful items like kitchen tools, candles, etc. I don't buy clothing since so often it shrinks or warps after washing, or is too garish in color and theme for wearing at home, out of context so to speak.

Hi,

When we go cruising I try and buy my sister something "foodie" and she does the same for us, we always get something that is local and either impossible or difficult to obtain back home.

On one occasion we visited France and I bought some of the most smelliest cheeses that I could find as it gives me pleasure thinking that her house will be smelly only problem was it made our cabin smell, we had to triple wrap them in plastic bags and put them in the fridge.

Another occasion was when we went to Sweden and I tried to get some Surstromming, it is canned fermented herring that only the Swedes like, it is the worst smelling thing ever, it isn't allowed on planes because if the can was to burst it would stink the plane out. It even causes the tin can to expand at the top and bottom so you can't stack them. It gave me perverse pleasure thinking that when my sister would open it up she would be sick. Only problem about obtaining it was it was out of season.

Pete

Usually some reasonably priced jewelry such as bracelets or necklaces. Some of it I get from street vendors, some from stores. Nothing too expensive. Just pretty things that I like. I wear my stuff to work. When someone asks about it I can say I got it in Hawaii or Mexico or the Virgin Islands. :)

Edited by candycaramel

I have a shelving unit in our En Suite Bathroom where our towels are kept that I keep knick knacks from our trips. I keep an eye out for unique things to add to that. I also try to buy small gifts for my kids (now adults), my Mom, and my nephews, based on their interests if I see something that they may like. We are always on the look out for a deal on T-Shirts for DH or jewelry for me. DH used to collect shot glasses but he has too many to count now and the are stored away. Now he only buys them if there is one that he really likes. Sometimes we come home with stuff and sometimes we don't.

Edited by Warm Breezes

During many trips to Europe, I started collecting bookmarks drom plafgces we v isited suxh as c agthedrals and museums. they are leatther, lace, plastic, papaer, all sorts of magerials and all name the museum shop from which I bought, it, Westminsger Abbey, St. Peter's, St. Pauls, S. Marks, Louvre, Prado Notre Dame etc, I treasure them all as they are firm reminders of the amazing places we visited, he things we saw. Thery pqfck emwall aned lilght to bring them home. ;) I HQVE CONTINUED DCOLLECTING THEM THROU maqnay trips/ cruises to Carirbbeaan aqnd domestic trips in U S .

We buy Christmas ornament and one of those ship models they sell in the gift store. We also try and find local handmade/carved items. However, we have to really like the ornament or handmade/carved item to buy it as we don't buy something from every country/port just to buy something.

We also like picking up ornaments from places we visit but only if they are locally made...I don't need a "Honduras" stamped turtle made in China. [emoji6]

I also buy earrings...not much of a "jewelry" person but always find something funky and cool. love to remember the places we've been when I wear each pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums