Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Two photos of the Edge's aft from shipspotting.com

83ca18cc0d5b41ce7ac2a7043e9e255f.jpg

fa86c1685c5e7ed386f6343ed1c88df0.jpg

Cropped image...

028b3f0515ca81173f293c1add5199f3.jpg

The asymetric design of the Eden looks weird. Any idea what it was designed this way? Looks like it's not leveled correctly. Kinda weird...

The asymetric design of the Eden looks weird.

Any idea what it was designed this way?

Looks like it's not leveled correctly. Kinda weird...

I see what you mean, but can't complain. Imagine what it takes to put a ship together!

It took me two days just to get my storm door in straight.;p

Edited by $hip$hape

I see what you mean, but can't complain. Imagine what it takes to put a ship together!

It took me two days just to get my storm door in straight.;p

Just found the answer to my question... The asymetric design is due to the spiral ramp that suround the Eden inside. It's a great idea for the inside, but not so cool for the outside look.... Just my 2 cents.

Just found the answer to my question... The asymetric design is due to the spiral ramp that suround the Eden inside. It's a great idea for the inside, but not so cool for the outside look.... Just my 2 cents.

I was just going to suggest looking at post 560 and 563. 😃

The asymetric design of the Eden looks weird. Any idea what it was designed this way? Looks like it's not leveled correctly. Kinda weird...

The indoor rampway!

I will never adjust to that off kilter appearance....I dislike it in land based architecture and feel the same about ships. Seems everyone wants to be different! The interviews with some of the designers are quite informative about their spatial and other concepts for EDGE.

How odd. The whole assembly trying to follow the angle of the ramp makes the rear look lopsided. Makes it look like a design error. Not a good look at all.

The Eden glass framing does indeed appear to be slanted/asymmetrical.

I notice it now in the screen grab from the reveal video. Wasn't paying attention when I first saw it. ;p

0248a1500d52bcb7f8c52cc1e2ccb5ab.jpg

Thanks for posting;

I like the slant.

Skateboarding anyone?

Edited by $hip$hape

It looks terrible! Gives it the appearance of listing to the port side. Why they didn't keep the angles of the glass courses level is beyond me, even considering the ramp inside. To me this is poor work by the designers.

Almost everyone looking at this ship from the outside will be wondering why they did that since they will have no idea about the ramp inside. Not attractive at all. It's like Celebrity no longer knows how to make a ship's appearance appealing. With that slant, along with the horrible looking (and horribly named) Magic Carpet contraption, and the large gaping holes in her upper levels for those two-level suites, she'll look more like an ugly duckling than a beautiful swan.

Edited by sloopsailor

I am in cabin 8136 I hope the view is good, I am handcapped

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I luv it as is different, it’s suppose to be a feeling like you are in touch with the sea.

My wife is handicap and I think it will be great for passengers with disabilities. I am sure the interior slope is not that bad because it must meet ada guilines.

I hate being a Monday morning quarterback, but I luv it, it’s different:D:D:D

The exterior of the ship was designed by WKK Architects of which Tom Wright is a partner. They have designed the exterior concepts for Royal Caribbean’s Oasis class (quite different from what it ended up being), Quantum class, and a couple other smaller projects for the company. Their main focus is land based architecture.

For reference, the exterior of Celebrity’s Millenium class was designed by renowned yacht designer Jon Bannenberg, Solstice class was designed by Martin Francis, another prominent naval architect and yacht designer.

Edge has quite a few interesting details, inside and out, but I feel the overall design is not as cohesive as it should be.

028b3f0515ca81173f293c1add5199f3.jpg

The assymetry is growing on me.

It threw me off at first, but since starting to take more of an interest in photography, I like things that are off ... like this ...

( not my photos. Images found on the web)

333fdcf31aa97a0f904262dfb3d648ec.jpgc776b072320ec3016f631500a73b3ee1.jpg01ca13d2a93a2594bb4774e09031803f.jpg401619011c0bc4a32a787b363d628b4e.jpg370525ec5ceb9a88f3f5b0f9352aa9a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

The exterior of the ship was designed by WKK Architects of which Tom Wright is a partner. They have designed the exterior concepts for Royal Caribbean’s Oasis class (quite different from what it ended up being), Quantum class, and a couple other smaller projects for the company. Their main focus is land based architecture.

For reference, the exterior of Celebrity’s Millenium class was designed by renowned yacht designer Jon Bannenberg, Solstice class was designed by Martin Francis, another prominent naval architect and yacht designer.

Edge has quite a few interesting details, inside and out, but I feel the overall design is not as cohesive as it should be.

Thanks for the facts

Thanks, Lloyd, for the asymmetric photos. I agree that asymmetric things can be interesting. I will reserve judgment of the Edge until the trim is in place and everything is all shined up.

It will be fun to pull into ports and see all the reactions. I will be waving from my aft balcony above the asymmetric Garden of Eden. ;)

Aesthetics aside, which are personal, I would presume that the “slant” or “asymmetry” of the glass arrangement is a nod to the “Fibonacci series” which the designer of Eden references as an inspiration for the planning and layout of the space. nautilus-spiral-vs-golden-spiral.gif

Please watch The YouTube video called Celebrity Edge Eden Reveal; it will give you a better understanding how Eden and that slant will really look from the inside .

Celebrity are updating their videos gradually .

Eden is going to be “Awesome.”

Celebrity have also added more video clips to their Magic Carpet video.