Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

For the passenger, yes, the interior design matters more than the exterior appearance of the ship. However, for the cruise line the exterior of the ship is incredibly important. It’s how they communicate their brand to the world and potential customers. For example, when Royal Caribbean first launched back in the 70’s they advertised their ships with the slogan “Sail a Skyscraper” and images of the original Viking Crown lounge on the funnel. At the time RCI was branding themselves as ultra-modern and not a stodgy old liner.

Likewise, Carnival’s “Fun Ships” branding was captured by Joe Farcus’ design of the first whale tale funnel on the Tropicale. Carnival ships ever since have tried to project a “fun” image in their exterior design language.

Cunard’s brand is one of elegance and heritage...so their ships have black hulls. Could you imagine a Carnival ship with a black hull? Or a Cunard ship with a whale tale funnel? Exterior ship design matters because it sends a message to potential customers about the cruise line and its product.

I think Celebrity Edge mostly fits well with the brand Celebrity has been creating for itself—modern sophistication. The vertical bow, glass stern, X-shaped funnel... it looks very modern and very sophisticated. And that’s also why I think the Flying Carpet (particularly its obnoxious orange coloring) is a misfit. It looks gimmicky...like something NCL or Carnival would do. It’s “off-brand” as marketing people say.

If the Flying Carpet proves to be popular with guest, AND if it doesn’t cost too much to maintain mechanically, AND if it doesn’t lower revenues on cabins along it’s path, I suspect eventually we’ll see the structure repainted to better fit Celebrity’s sophisticated branding. If those things don’t prove to be true, I wouldn’t be surprised to find the feature removed from future Edge-class ships.

The flying carpet reminds me of some structures one sees on container ships. I second that it will be painted once the marketing benefit of highlighting the feature wains.

On the other hand the bow of the Edge reminds me of the battleships from the Spanish American War. AR-303079993.jpg

The flying carpet reminds me of some structures one sees on container ships. I second that it will be painted once the marketing benefit of highlighting the feature wains.

On the other hand the bow of the Edge reminds me of the battleships from the Spanish American War. AR-303079993.jpg

I agree the flying carpet looks like it has primer on it and needs painting. Perhaps navy blue. But agree that it will definitely hamper the view of the cabins close to it. The rails are an obstruction to visabilty and sb priced as an obstucted view cabin or suite

no, the magic carpet is not aesthetically pleasing. i don't really see it as a gimmick though, because celebrity understands their customers are interested in dining experiences and the like, not attractions like arms moving away from the ship over the ocean or "at sea skydiving" - but at the same time they are trying to offer an innovative experience for said dining experiences and gathering spaces. something different. it's hard to do this on a ship, and i think their thinking behind this space was that it is a way to bring passengers closer to the sea without going overboard (DEFINITELY no pun intended but certainly comes off that way!), but rather than spending so much money on something that is strictly a place for people to gather and eat, they looked to utilize it in other ways such as edge launches. i am in agreement it doesn't look great, but from an engineering standpoint it probably can't look great. any extra appendage on a ship to me looks awkward and i don't necessarily agree with the way they went about this concept, but, i shrug my shoulders and don't get all upset about how it looks because at the end of the day, does it really matter? i wasn't a huge fan of the lawn club and always thought the grass looked unhappy, but, I shrugged my shoulders over it because I could choose to either utilize it or not. now as far as the color - yes, i agree. anything but orange. a nice blue would be way more visually appealing, but i think celebrity's viewpoint on this was "let's paint it orange to make it stand out!" but, just, no. they want to show it off, but it's just not pretty.

I agree the flying carpet looks like it has primer on it and needs painting. Perhaps navy blue. But agree that it will definitely hamper the view of the cabins close to it. The rails are an obstruction to visabilty and sb priced as an obstucted view cabin or suite

I would be surprised if it could't be removed if needed.

Another shipspotting.com photo.

d61887b870196a2cbe07c3b1ad233d20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I wonder if the slope at the back added to the magic carpet overhanging will give the illusion that ship is listing when looked at from behind

I really wish it weren't bright orange, it's the only negative thing I have to say.[/quote

The Iconic Suite @ $52,000 USD was put on hold for our sailing... already on a "wait list".:p

Also, the Infinite Verandas are "sold out" at more than a year away.

Happy we booked early.

Other cruise lines in the earlier part of the 20th century including the White Star Line that built the Titanic also had bows similar to the Edge. 😊

I really wish it weren't bright orange, it's the only negative thing I have to say.[/quote

The Iconic Suite @ $52,000 USD was put on hold for our sailing... already on a "wait list".:p

Also, the Infinite Verandas are "sold out" at more than a year away.

Happy we booked early.

We are booked on 2 of the 3 night preview cruises and I was looking at switching cabins today. I was surprised that they are booking so well - the suites are selling nicely (there seemed to be quite a few S3's left though - the suites enclosed in the Magic Carpet) and insides and singles were gone. The cabins with the porthole balconies (deluxe ocean view with veranda) are selling well - they are $599 PP. The Iconic Suites are gone (they were around $20,000 for 2 for 3 nights). Celebrity knows what they are doing, I guess.

no, the magic carpet is not aesthetically pleasing. i don't really see it as a gimmick though, because celebrity understands their customers are interested in dining experiences and the like, not attractions like arms moving away from the ship over the ocean or "at sea skydiving" - but at the same time they are trying to offer an innovative experience for said dining experiences and gathering spaces. something different. it's hard to do this on a ship, and i think their thinking behind this space was that it is a way to bring passengers closer to the sea without going overboard (DEFINITELY no pun intended but certainly comes off that way!), but rather than spending so much money on something that is strictly a place for people to gather and eat, they looked to utilize it in other ways such as edge launches. i am in agreement it doesn't look great, but from an engineering standpoint it probably can't look great. any extra appendage on a ship to me looks awkward and i don't necessarily agree with the way they went about this concept, but, i shrug my shoulders and don't get all upset about how it looks because at the end of the day, does it really matter? i wasn't a huge fan of the lawn club and always thought the grass looked unhappy, but, I shrugged my shoulders over it because I could choose to either utilize it or not. now as far as the color - yes, i agree. anything but orange. a nice blue would be way more visually appealing, but i think celebrity's viewpoint on this was "let's paint it orange to make it stand out!" but, just, no. they want to show it off, but it's just not pretty.

I totally agree with you. I don’t have an issue with the orange because contrasting colors create whoa factor. Also, celebrity caters to high end passengers.

Thanks jc

I would be surprised if it could't be removed if needed.

Possibly but wonder how that would impact the whole tender process, seems to be a major use and replaces the traditional tender platforms that fold out from the hull when needed.

Other cruise lines in the earlier part of the 20th century including the White Star Line that built the Titanic also had bows similar to the Edge. [emoji4]

Its also under the waterline where the key changes are that provide a more efficient method for the bow to 'cut' through the water with less drag than the more traditional (and potentially more visually appealing!) bow design in common cruise ships to date.

https://www.marineinsight.com/naval-architecture/types-of-bow-designs-used-for-ships/amp/

It’s interesting though how the style looks the same as the older liners like Titanic and many Battleships.

Don’t they say what goes around comes around...particularly in fashion/design [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Possibly but wonder how that would impact the whole tender process, seems to be a major use and replaces the traditional tender platforms that fold out from the hull when needed.

Does it definitely replace them? Can't this just be used as well as or instead of the traditional platforms?

Does it definitely replace them? Can't this just be used as well as or instead of the traditional platforms?

I do wonder if they have a backup option!

Looking at all the photos there doesn’t seem to be any outlines or recesses where the traditional platforms would be housed.

But from some info Celebrity shared at the original release of the magic carpet a part of the presentation was how their improved tender boarding process evolved from existing concepts to various new ideas of which magic carpet was the final outcome!

(Found the original video ... the tender launch discussion kicks in at 8:27)

I would hate to think what would happen if the magic carpet was stuck on Deck 5 on a tender port day [emoji33]

I do wonder if they have a backup option!

Looking at all the photos there doesn’t seem to be any outlines or recesses where the traditional platforms would be housed.

But from some info Celebrity shared at the original release of the magic carpet a part of the presentation was how their improved tender boarding process evolved from existing concepts to various new ideas of which magic carpet was the final outcome!

(Found the original video ... the tender launch discussion kicks in at 8:27)

I would hate to think what would happen if the magic carpet was stuck on Deck 5 on a tender port day [emoji33]

Perhaps the Magic Carpet will be available for suite passengers while the normal tender platforms will be for non-suite guests. This would go along with Celebrity's increased emphasis on the suite experience on Edge.

Perhaps the Magic Carpet will be available for suite passengers while the normal tender platforms will be for non-suite guests. This would go along with Celebrity's increased emphasis on the suite experience on Edge.

Yeah..rowboats for the rest of us!

We do not have any tender ports on the Eastern Carib itin, so others will be the first to experience it,,

DYKWIA - Yes the magic carpet, along with a dedicated room inside the ship, will completely replace the normal tendering platform. Should help move more passengers and at the same time provide info via large flat screens about the current port. With air conditioning and bucket seats on the new tender design, this new concept will be a very big improvement over the present tendering process.

DYKWIA - Yes the magic carpet, along with a dedicated room inside the ship, will completely replace the normal tendering platform. Should help move more passengers and at the same time provide info via large flat screens about the current port. With air conditioning and bucket seats on the new tender design, this new concept will be a very big improvement over the present tendering process.

Thanks fo your positive remarks. I can’t wait, I guess that I am happy person and just looking for fun times.

I prefer the carpet them the thing over the ocean in anthem.

Lloyd - Those are some great close-up photos. Thanks for sharing.

Those that booked an S3 along the Magic Carpet route can get a sense of the views they will get from your above fourth photo. For safety reasons, there must be a lot of space/distance from the balcony to the Magic Carpet track.

Yves Pommeron Flickr photos

c0f3e739b3946b55b48ab2898d343338.jpg

3520bde7ad969b9b547f636efbee6301.jpg

637ad41d57ff45fd91f93f7b32de2db2.jpg

Zoom-in

9f556d4add0bb614166b0d124dfc5ddb.jpg

6e941eadda81f87aef861d8fe7f1230a.jpg

292d4d81ac6d3c96b5eb24763615ed0a.jpg

Does anyone know if those are windows at the side of the S1’s, either to the suites or perhaps a stairwell?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know if those are windows at the side of the S1’s, either to the suites or perhaps a stairwell?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The “windows” correspond to the 1A category cabins on the Aft of decks 7, 8 and 9. You can see the railings for the verandahs of those cabins inside the round openings.