Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

I've been wondering too and these were my thoughts:

Dinner on the Edge on the 16th deck, is described as:

"Situated on the summit of the ship on Deck 16, Magic Carpet becomes the ultimate specialty restaurant high in the sky where mouthwatering experiences such as “Dinner on the Edge” are hosted for a select number of guests."

My guess is that it will be a set menu with a limited number of guests (like a Chef's Table dinner) so that it will be more manageable as far as delivering the food. My thought is that it will be offered 1-2 times on a cruise, like a Chef's Table experience.

Looking at the 16th deck, where Dinner on the Edge will occur, there are 2 WC's fairly close to the MC on the deck plans.

There is a built-in bar on the MC - they must be able to hook it up to a water source and would hopefully have a hand-washing sink.

I imagine the food will come up in a dumb waiter or elevator - hopefully won't be cold by the time it arrives.

The roof of the MC looks opaque from above in one of the pictures I have seen - maybe the mesh material is rain resistant?

All guesses, but fun to speculate. :D

Could be windy up there is the ship is sailing

No one is allowed on the MC while it is motion. That has been set from the beginning. Besides, don't like the "low glass sides". Anyone with a few drinks could easily fall over the side. BUT, let's see what it eventually looks like. Still, Celebrity said right from the beginning, no one will be allowed on it while it is moving.

No one is allowed on the MC while it is motion. That has been set from the beginning. Besides, don't like the "low glass sides". Anyone with a few drinks could easily fall over the side. BUT, let's see what it eventually looks like. Still, Celebrity said right from the beginning, no one will be allowed on it while it is moving.

No passengers will be allowed on the MC while it is repositioning up and down the track, but passengers can be on it while the ship is moving, which is what I was discussing (if comment was made to me). :D

I was wondering the same thing about the glass sides - I imagine they will be similar to balconies in height and hopefully not easy to fall over.

I thought they said it would be used at tendering ports !

if so people will be on it while in motion.

I thought they said it would be used at tendering ports !

if so people will be on it while in motion.

It will be stationary while being used as a tender platform. It will be lowered into position at the tendering deck and secured there. Then people will be allowed to use it for exiting the ship from a "tender lounge" area inside the ship to board the tenders. It will not be moving because it doesn't have to move to while functioning as a tender platform.

celebrity-edge-magic-carpet-2.jpg?w=764

2Q==

Edge_DestinationGateway.jpg?cf844b&cf844b

2Q==

Edited by sloopsailor

No running water. No hand washing sink for crew.

Although inside but it works pretty well on the Oasis class ships with the Rising Tide Bar. There´s a bar on that "elevator" too. You can build in a sink with a water depot. You obviously have to empty the waste water tank time by time.

steamboats

No passengers will be allowed on the MC while it is repositioning up and down the track, but passengers can be on it while the ship is moving, which is what I was discussing (if comment was made to me). :D

I was wondering the same thing about the glass sides - I imagine they will be similar to balconies in height and hopefully not easy to fall over.

From the original fact sheet and Q&A on Edge, it is not very clear if the Magic Carpet will have guests allowed when the ship is moving. Does anybody have any direct info one way or another? Celebrity mentions "dining under the stars" on the Magic Carpet so that might indicate it is open to dinner guests while the ship is moving at night. Or only for overnights when the ship is stationary? Confusing!

From the original fact sheet and Q&A on Edge, it is not very clear if the Magic Carpet will have guests allowed when the ship is moving. Does anybody have any direct info one way or another? Celebrity mentions "dining under the stars" on the Magic Carpet so that might indicate it is open to dinner guests while the ship is moving at night. Or only for overnights when the ship is stationary? Confusing!

This is the FAQs sheet answer to where the MC will be positioned, which led me to believe that on sea days the MC will be an extension of the pool deck, hence moving:

41. WILL WE HAVE A SCHEDULE OF THE MOVEMENT OF THE MAGIC CARPET?

The Magic Carpet will visit various decks throughout the voyage including Deck 2 during tender operation; Deck 14 as an extension of the Resort Deck on sea days and Deck 5 for al fresco dining. On occasion, the Magic Carpet will be positioned on Deck 16, just above the pool deck, for special "Dinner on the Edge" events. A schedule of Magic Carpet’s positioning will be published daily for guests.

Not sure if the Dinner on the Edge will be when the ship is moving, but I assume it will since there are no overnights or late times in port on the Western Carib itinerary - the Eastern itin does have a late departure in San Juan so could do it then. All speculation on my part. :)

Edited by vtcruising

This is the FAQs sheet answer to where the MC will be positioned, which led me to believe that on sea days the MC will be an extension of the pool deck, hence moving:

41. WILL WE HAVE A SCHEDULE OF THE MOVEMENT OF THE MAGIC CARPET?

The Magic Carpet will visit various decks throughout the voyage including Deck 2 during tender operation; Deck 14 as an extension of the Resort Deck on sea days and Deck 5 for al fresco dining. On occasion, the Magic Carpet will be positioned on Deck 16, just above the pool deck, for special "Dinner on the Edge" events. A schedule of Magic Carpet’s positioning will be published daily for guests.

Not sure if the Dinner on the Edge will be when the ship is moving, but I assume it will since there are no overnights or late times in port on the Western Carib itinerary - the Eastern itin does have a late departure in San Juan so could do it then. All speculation on my part. :)

As has been stated: all speculation.

However, it is rather evident that the Orange Elevator ("OE" nee Magic Carpet) is meant to be used while the ship is sailing: providing an al fresco space for Raw Bar-on-Five, special dinners on 16 and an extension of the Resort Deck. This makes sense only if sea days are included (you would NOT use the OE in on Transatlantic sea days?!). I think we can safely assume that Celebrity has figured how to make the OE work, even when underway. After all the Porch, Lawn Club Grill, Ocean View Bar area, Mast Grill, ... all work while at sea.

Of course the magic carpet will be used as a venue when the ship is moving. Securely locked in place on any deck, it is no different than any other place on the ship - just a great view. They will deal with wind the same way they do anywhere else. It doesn't have a glass floor. Sorry, but I'm at a loss understanding what other concerns people have.

Hi:

Yes the issue of riding the Magic Carpet has been made clear and you can find numerous references. Here is a paste when I queried this issue:

But guests shouldn’t harbor any fantasies about riding the Magic Carpet around the ship. Celebrity Cruises is already very clear that guests will not be able to sit aboard the Magic Carpet as it shifts levels.

So it is not an elevator per se but a moving platform of various venues. I for one can't wait to try it out. I think it will be more interesting than Rising Tides although that was fun as well.

I must admit I suggest Magic Carpet is perhaps a bit of a misnomer as it does not look like it will be carpeted. Perhaps the idea is the view from the bow or aft gives the impressing of flying...? We see it mainly from the side ...

Cheers all, Murray

PS I still like the orange.;)

As has been stated: all speculation.

However, it is rather evident that the Orange Elevator ("OE" nee Magic Carpet) is meant to be used while the ship is sailing: providing an al fresco space for Raw Bar-on-Five, special dinners on 16 and an extension of the Resort Deck. This makes sense only if sea days are included (you would NOT use the OE in on Transatlantic sea days?!). I think we can safely assume that Celebrity has figured how to make the OE work, even when underway. After all the Porch, Lawn Club Grill, Ocean View Bar area, Mast Grill, ... all work while at sea.

The Porch and Lawn club grill have their own kitchens- The Lawn Club is protected from the elements by plastic walls that can be rolled up or down. It also has ceiling fans to help keep the venue cool. Hopefully the Magic Carpet has something to protect guests from the elements- I am cautiously optimistic

The Porch and Lawn club grill have their own kitchens- The Lawn Club is protected from the elements by plastic walls that can be rolled up or down. It also has ceiling fans to help keep the venue cool. Hopefully the Magic Carpet has something to protect guests from the elements- I am cautiously optimistic

It's been a while since I dined and utilized the Lawn Club Grill (it was at dinnertime) and we had to use blankets to keep warm. Maybe it's different now, but after that experience I opted for a more comfortable dining experience inside. I'm interested to see how they've got this figured out, because wind and elements would be my biggest concern.

It's been a while since I dined and utilized the Lawn Club Grill (it was at dinnertime) and we had to use blankets to keep warm. Maybe it's different now, but after that experience I opted for a more comfortable dining experience inside. I'm interested to see how they've got this figured out, because wind and elements would be my biggest concern.

The Magic Carpet will be even more exposed than the Lawn Club Grill, which is at the back of a large superstructure that partially blocks the wind (in the photo below, it's under the funnel with the "X" on it). The MC is hanging off the side of the ship in the full exposure to the wind coming down the side of the ship with nothing to block that wind.

143cba60dc1a54bf8b6483c9322dcc99--celebrity-cruises-sandy-toes.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

Great photo....we ate at LCG early on before the plastic flaps were added needed heavy sweaters...The flaps do help quite a bit but we only dine there when the ship is docked....less wind and calmer seas,

We also have eaten up there on a rainy night..(never again ) and had to traverse the soggy lawn are in the rain to get to the grill.

Hope they figure it all out for the MC...to avoid wind tunnel effect. It is too "out there" for us..too high, too open..

Great photo....we ate at LCG early on before the plastic flaps were added needed heavy sweaters...The flaps do help quite a bit but we only dine there when the ship is docked....less wind and calmer seas,

We also have eaten up there on a rainy night..(never again ) and had to traverse the soggy lawn are in the rain to get to the grill.

Hope they figure it all out for the MC...to avoid wind tunnel effect. It is too "out there" for us..too high, too open..

And Isn't the LCG relatively sheltered compared to the Magic Carpet., which will be situated along the ship hitting the wind head on - a bit like sticking your head out of a moving vehicle. For dining, I think it will either have to be totally enclosed or only used in port.

LG never a problem in the Caribbean. Great restaurant. food excellent Cabins usually have an umbrella to use. We also travel with rain panchos for bad weather