Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

I agree that Qsine does offer a wide mix of foods, but I get the impression that EDEN dining may replace Qsine as the "experimental" dining option.

A rotational global/Mediterranean menu is an interesting concept, as is a dedicated seafood offering - HAL has been successful with Sel De Mer and NCL with Ocean Blue, so there is room in the industry for it.

I also see where others are coming from that they need to appeal to the broadest audience, but on the same token that often leads to uninspired menus and "same-as" unexciting options, and really shouldn't the MDR serve that function? If I went on a vessel with varied options such as Thai/Malay, Vietnamese, Indian, Persian, Mediterranean, French, Spanish, Italian, Ukrainian/Russian, German, Caribbean/S. American, Ethiopian, etc. as specialty dining options I would probably never return to the MDR. While many Americans do have a penchant for the "known"/"safe" when it comes to dining, there are also many of us who appreciate a much more varied cuisine. Are those of us with more adventurous tastes enough to support a truly global specialty dining program? Sadly probably not ....... but sure would be nice to see a cruise line try it!

Sure would be nice to get some "Shawarma", "Jerk Chicken" or some"Wat and Injera" :)

I googled the chef they mentioned as I was not familiar with him..The photos of food look great ( and healthy) and his write up/cv seems like it could be a promising adventure.

Anything overly exotic like they originally mentioned, (spiny sea creatures) or ultra spicy or niche will probably not interest the majority of cruises...but trying something new is exciting.

For us Q sine was a one and done. Food was good and it was a fun time but we prefer a cohesive meal over a series of lite bites!

I googled the chef they mentioned as I was not familiar with him..The photos of food look great ( and healthy) and his write up/cv seems like it could be a promising adventure.

Anything overly exotic like they originally mentioned, (spiny sea creatures) or ultra spicy or niche will probably not interest the majority of cruises...but trying something new is exciting.

For us Q sine was a one and done. Food was good and it was a fun time but we prefer a cohesive meal over a series of lite bites!

Sea urchins, guinea pigs (Peru), fish roe will never make it on ships because the mass market places too large a demand on food sources and there is too small an audience to eat it. Besides the portions are so small, people would complain. Leave it to special or high end land based restaurants to satisfy that demand.

Anybody want to make a prediction? Here is mine. In addition to the already announced Eden specialty restaurant, Edge will likely have Tuscan Grille and QSine. Sushi-on-5. Other ships have been standardized across the fleet to have these choices with no menu variation. All of the unique restaurants on M-Class were eliminated. Then for Edge-Class perhaps some type of "continental" restaurant very much like Murano with a different name. There might be one more new restaurant other than the one at Eden. Possibly a pub (like Gastropub but another name) that serves food. Martini Bar. World Class Bar. Wine Bar like Cellar Masters. MDR and Oceanview buffet (with perhaps a different name). Are we thinking that there will be anything completely unexpected? Let's look at the most recent new ship line by parent corp RCI which is Quantum Class. They tried a no MDR concept (Dynamic Dining) and it was a complete failure so that won't happen on Edge. They have one unique specialty restaurant (Wonderland) like Eden. Everything else standardized with other RCCL ships for the most part. It is fun to guess but we will know soon.

Anybody want to make a prediction? Here is mine. In addition to the already announced Eden specialty restaurant, Edge will likely have Tuscan Grille and QSine. Sushi-on-5........

If that survives then I'd be rather surprised. It was almost totally deserted at all hours when, by comparison, it was nigh on impossible to get a seat at Al Bacio on the Reflection last August. At some point (now?) one suspects they'll admit defeat on that idea.

Anybody want to make a prediction? Here is mine. In addition to the already announced Eden specialty restaurant, Edge will likely have Tuscan Grille and QSine. Sushi-on-5. Other ships have been standardized across the fleet to have these choices with no menu variation. All of the unique restaurants on M-Class were eliminated. Then for Edge-Class perhaps some type of "continental" restaurant very much like Murano with a different name. There might be one more new restaurant other than the one at Eden. Possibly a pub (like Gastropub but another name) that serves food. Martini Bar. World Class Bar. Wine Bar like Cellar Masters. MDR and Oceanview buffet (with perhaps a different name). Are we thinking that there will be anything completely unexpected? Let's look at the most recent new ship line by parent corp RCI which is Quantum Class. They tried a no MDR concept (Dynamic Dining) and it was a complete failure so that won't happen on Edge. They have one unique specialty restaurant (Wonderland) like Eden. Everything else standardized with other RCCL ships for the most part. It is fun to guess but we will know soon.

Hope they having something like the lawn grill- our favorite.

Seafood specialty restaurant: all the previously frozen fish and seafood you can eat! How much extra would you pay for that?

True but couldn’t they catch it fresh from the Lledge whilst at sea...yet another purpose for this orange marvel [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's look at the most recent new ship line by parent corp RCI which is Quantum Class. They tried a no MDR concept (Dynamic Dining) and it was a complete failure so that won't happen on Edge. They have one unique specialty restaurant (Wonderland) like Eden. Everything else standardized with other RCCL ships for the most part. It is fun to guess but we will know soon.

The Quantum class also introduced Jamie’s Italian, which was their take on a celebrity chef franchise, which seems the latest buzz.

I wonder if Celebrity will go down a similar path of a celebrity chef restaurant on the Edge class ships??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also feel that they will likely have most or all of the standard Celebrity specialties, maybe some with a new twist or name. I hope they will have a traditional Murano-type venue, which hasn't gotten old for us.

For bars, I'm happy that they still have the Sunset Bar-type venue - would also like to have an Ensemble Lounge-type venue for soloists and small groups, but with a better set-up. My husband would be happy with a pub with better beer selections (including some draft beers).

Will be interesting to see what they have come up with - I am guessing that they have released most of the new, attention-grabbing venues to help get early bookings, with the familiar with a possible twist being introduced Feb 28th. I have been happy so far with what has been released (not every venue is necessarily my thing, but I will give it all a try :D) and look forward to the next reveal.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the current selection of Celebrity restaurants get replaced. Tuscan Grill has been inundated with complaints over the past couple of years since they changed the menu and made service cutbacks so I think it may get replaced with a new Edge concept on S and M class. Qsine will probably stay but might get a menu overhaul. Murano is Celebrity’s signature restaurant so I think that will stay. I’m pretty sure Silk Harvest will be replaced. And I would bet that Sushi on 5 gets replaced as any cruise I’ve been on I’ve never seen more than 4 people eating there at any one time and frequently see it empty. Something I think needs an overhaul is the Lawn Club Grill as it was the worst dining experience I’ve ever had on Celebrity, but it seems to have a lot of fans so I’m guessing it won’t change. Remember that all the S and M class ships will be undergoing the “Celebrity Revolution” updates over the next few years which will add The Retreat and make cabin changes but I’m also assuming will make dining changes.

One update that I got pretty much confirmed from a staff member on my recent Silhouette cruise was regarding Luminae. I asked if there will be new Luminae menus on Edge that will then roll out to the rest of the fleet. The staff member said that while they have not gotten official word of that they are all expecting that to happen. That is great news. While I think the Luminae menus have been fine, we’ve had them for over 2 years now (with only minor updates) and I’m ready for some changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Tuscan Room and Normandie Room are on the Edge. That's all I'm saying. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Lloyd! I hope the Normandie Room is a Murano-like restaurant (similar to the old Normandie) and hopefully the Tuscan Room will have a new and improved menu.

Also, thanks Wonderman for the Luminae menu change possibility heads up. I was hoping they would use the opportunity of having a new class of ship to change it up. We will be in a suite Nov 21 so will see if it is up and running then. :D

Thanks, Lloyd! I hope the Normandie Room is a Murano-like restaurant (similar to the old Normandie) and hopefully the Tuscan Room will have a new and improved menu.

Also, thanks Wonderman for the Luminae menu change possibility heads up. I was hoping they would use the opportunity of having a new class of ship to change it up. We will be in a suite Nov 21 so will see if it is up and running then. :D

Doubtful since Edge doesn’t sail until Nov 27th. The staff member was indicating that it would roll out in Edge first and then to the rest of the fleet afterward. I would imagine that they’ll want to get the menus down pat on Edge for a month or so before spreading them out. So maybe for the new year, Jan 2019? He did say that corporate likes to keep things consistent among all the ships so I don’t think they’d be running with two different menus for very long.

Doubtful since Edge doesn’t sail until Nov 27th. The staff member was indicating that it would roll out in Edge first and then to the rest of the fleet afterward. I would imagine that they’ll want to get the menus down pat on Edge for a month or so before spreading them out. So maybe for the new year, Jan 2019? He did say that corporate likes to keep things consistent among all the ships so I don’t think they’d be running with two different menus for very long.

I am on the first 2 Edge preview cruises Nov 21 and Nov 24 (unless you know something I don't know - they still show availability :D).

Our first 3 experiences with Tuscan Grill (2 different sailings in 2013 and 2014) were absolutely fantastic. Their marinated mushrooms they brought out in the beginning and the mushroom ravioli (which they gave me the recipe for and I MUST find where I put it) were amazing. When they changed the menu and I noticed on our last sailing, I was so disappointed. They literally removed every good thing we ate there, and we didn't even go and went to Murano instead, which had not been as good by experience. Luckily it was a little better that time around, but they ruined Tuscan Grill for us when it had previously was our favorite specialty restaurant. Hoping they bring something back similar to the way it was.

Our first 3 experiences with Tuscan Grill (2 different sailings in 2013 and 2014) were absolutely fantastic. Their marinated mushrooms they brought out in the beginning and the mushroom ravioli (which they gave me the recipe for and I MUST find where I put it) were amazing. When they changed the menu and I noticed on our last sailing, I was so disappointed. They literally removed every good thing we ate there, and we didn't even go and went to Murano instead, which had not been as good by experience. Luckily it was a little better that time around, but they ruined Tuscan Grill for us when it had previously was our favorite specialty restaurant. Hoping they bring something back similar to the way it was.

Yes. We had amazing dining experiences there from 2013-2015, but then they made the changes and it’s been downhill ever since. Even the staff was perplexed by the menu changes after it happened. It was clearly cost cutting on Celebrity’s part.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who misses the mushroom pasta in Tuscan. I was so disappointed when they took that off the menu. Maybe it will be back in the Tuscan Room. :D

I thought there were 4 of the 3 night preview cruises, but I guess there are 6 then?

There are four preview cruises at this point: Nov 21, 24 and Dec 3, 6 (thought Dec 3 isn't on the website at the moment, for some reason). Who knows what is happening between Nov 27th-Dec 3rd? Maybe it will be a cruise for TAs or a charter?

We're on the Nov 21 cruise also and while we thought about a sky suite (we really enjoy Luminae and the "Suite Life") we opted for the infinite veranda room to see what it was like since it's such a short trip. Now I'm debating specialty dining each of the three nights we're on board, or maybe 2 specialties and the MDR one night. Oh the choices.... vtcruising, we'll be asking you about Luminae and the whole "retreat" area too!

I would give anything to see the Bistro on 5 again with that heavenly portobello mushroom burger. We always had it on embarkation day lunch and at least 2 more times during the cruises. I'm drooling just thinking about it. Can't stand sushi.

Us too... not big sushi fans....B on 5, we ate there almost every day, It was great for brunch, lunch and dinner. We missed out on the added roast beef which we heard was a big hit.

We like Silk Harvest, are a maybe on Tuscan...poor service issues, and a big yes on Nomandie if it is like Murano and the Normandy. The rooftop grill sounds good...if food quality is improved.

We're on the Nov 21 cruise also and while we thought about a sky suite (we really enjoy Luminae and the "Suite Life") we opted for the infinite veranda room to see what it was like since it's such a short trip. Now I'm debating specialty dining each of the three nights we're on board, or maybe 2 specialties and the MDR one night. Oh the choices.... vtcruising, we'll be asking you about Luminae and the whole "retreat" area too!

I could have written exactly what you wrote.... we feel the same way...if booked the Sky we would have felt we “needed” to eat in Luminae every evening....we decided we will want to try the specialties on board. Interested to see what will be offered on Thanksgiving.... looking forward to a new adventure on Edge!

Sent from my iPad using Forums