Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Oh my, seeing her in water shows that this ship is definitely a paradigm shift in cruise ship design!

In what way is she a "paradigm shift". She looks like many other ships, but with a lopsided ass and an orange "crutch" on one side. If she were a human, she would look like she is recovering from a medical problem. :D

There are other ships that look more "futuristic and elegant", especially the under construction Virgin Voyages ship, for example.

Still, it's nice to see Celebrity expanding it's fleet with new ships. It tells us our favorite cruise line is doing well.

In what way is she a "paradigm shift". She looks like many other ships, but with a lopsided ass and an orange "crutch" on one side. If she were a human, she would look like she is recovering from a medical problem. :D

There are other ships that look more "futuristic and elegant", especially the under construction Virgin Voyages ship, for example.

Still, it's nice to see Celebrity expanding it's fleet with new ships. It tells us our favorite cruise line is doing well.

Hey Sloopsailor:

To me it is the design approach to have structural support of the cruise ship externally that is leading the design innovations internally as much as externally . Such focus on the water views is redundant because I must admit when I cruise I don't spend much time watching my ship cruise through the water as I am inside the ship ...:)

I also suggest I present my thoughts in a more elegant manner... may I say that perhaps you see the ship as having a "lopsided stern"....;)

Cheers, Murray

Edited by 44North
spelling

"She?"

Maybe Edge self identifies as a man?

Hey Sloopsailor:

To me it is the design approach to have structural support of the cruise ship externally that is leading the design innovations internally as much as externally . Such focus on the water views is redundant because I must admit when I cruise I don't spend much time watching my ship cruise through the water as I am inside the ship ...:)

I also suggest I present my thoughts in a more elegant manner... may I say that perhaps you see the ship as having a "lopsided stern"....;)

Cheers, Murray

:D:D:D

I agree with you that when on a ship, how the exterior looks is less important than what is inside. Unless we can somehow bungee jump off the decks in a horizontal trajectory, we won't see the ship from the outside very often.

But, it can be argued that for people NOT on the ship, the asymmetrical look may not appeal. I would bet that almost every cruiser will look at other cruise ships while in port or passing on the open seas. How a ship looks from the outside may affect the observer's interest in that ship, resulting in a pass on future cruises or desire to give it a try, based on that first look.

For instance, I clearly remember seeing for the first time the NCL Epic, with it's awful "uni-brow" look. This is a ship I have low interest in sailing on since it looks so odd. Other people may think the same about the Edge class.

The positive is that we will have even more ships to select from when this ship, and her sisters, come online. More choices is a good thing.

Fantastic video. Many thanks for sharing!

Like many I was sceptical of her design when first released but after watching her 'grow' and just now floated out of dry dock she has really 'grown' on me and I think will be quite a lovely looking ship once complete and all dolled up!

I do believe Celebrity have achieved a very modern, forward thinking design that they set out to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She is a beauty

But, celebrity is catering to higher end travelers, it would be nice if celebrity provides more details.

The ship clearly hasn’t been designed for families with young children. Not a waterslide or rock climibing wall in sight. Leaving the family market to RC.

This ship is clearly for the adult market. Not that I am complaining!

The ship clearly hasn’t been designed for families with young children. Not a waterslide or rock climibing wall in sight. Leaving the family market to RC.

This ship is clearly for the adult market. Not that I am complaining!

No ship of Celebrity had a climbing wall or a waterslide.

But Celebrity has a cool kids program. On our last cruise on the Eclipse, of the many children we noticed nothing because they were so busy

But Celebrity has a cool kids program. On our last cruise on the Eclipse, of the many children we noticed nothing because they were so busy

Agree, Our kids were 8 and 10 when in their first Celebrity cruise and still rave about it. They have a well run kids club which they loved and never missed the lack of a water park or rock climbing wall that are on RCI ships.

I can see a few venues already that I think they will enjoy (they are now young teenagers), the huge main pool being a major one!

Another shipspotting.com photo.

d61887b870196a2cbe07c3b1ad233d20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Ha! I had to do a double take on this one, at first glance I thought she was perched on the concrete pier!

So much for a float out, now Edge is doing a Sit In [emoji13]

We were also on the Eclipse, disembarked Sunday. Only a few kids on board in comparision to other cruise lines- Yes some kids were on board- but well under 100- and many were very young- but on a two week cruise during school time- not so busy- Royal could have many hundreds of kids on board at any given time- also NCL, Disney and Carnival-

Again, not that I am complaining! But the "camp" program for kids on Celebrity is fair- based on my own families evaluation.

:D:D:D

I agree with you that when on a ship, how the exterior looks is less important than what is inside. Unless we can somehow bungee jump off the decks in a horizontal trajectory, we won't see the ship from the outside very often.

But, it can be argued that for people NOT on the ship, the asymmetrical look may not appeal. I would bet that almost every cruiser will look at other cruise ships while in port or passing on the open seas. How a ship looks from the outside may affect the observer's interest in that ship, resulting in a pass on future cruises or desire to give it a try, based on that first look.

For instance, I clearly remember seeing for the first time the NCL Epic, with it's awful "uni-brow" look. This is a ship I have low interest in sailing on since it looks so odd. Other people may think the same about the Edge class.

The positive is that we will have even more ships to select from when this ship, and her sisters, come online. More choices is a good thing.

For the passenger, yes, the interior design matters more than the exterior appearance of the ship. However, for the cruise line the exterior of the ship is incredibly important. It’s how they communicate their brand to the world and potential customers. For example, when Royal Caribbean first launched back in the 70’s they advertised their ships with the slogan “Sail a Skyscraper” and images of the original Viking Crown lounge on the funnel. At the time RCI was branding themselves as ultra-modern and not a stodgy old liner.

Likewise, Carnival’s “Fun Ships” branding was captured by Joe Farcus’ design of the first whale tale funnel on the Tropicale. Carnival ships ever since have tried to project a “fun” image in their exterior design language.

Cunard’s brand is one of elegance and heritage...so their ships have black hulls. Could you imagine a Carnival ship with a black hull? Or a Cunard ship with a whale tale funnel? Exterior ship design matters because it sends a message to potential customers about the cruise line and its product.

I think Celebrity Edge mostly fits well with the brand Celebrity has been creating for itself—modern sophistication. The vertical bow, glass stern, X-shaped funnel... it looks very modern and very sophisticated. And that’s also why I think the Flying Carpet (particularly its obnoxious orange coloring) is a misfit. It looks gimmicky...like something NCL or Carnival would do. It’s “off-brand” as marketing people say.

If the Flying Carpet proves to be popular with guest, AND if it doesn’t cost too much to maintain mechanically, AND if it doesn’t lower revenues on cabins along it’s path, I suspect eventually we’ll see the structure repainted to better fit Celebrity’s sophisticated branding. If those things don’t prove to be true, I wouldn’t be surprised to find the feature removed from future Edge-class ships.