Viking Sea returning to Barcelona?

photopro2

So sorry for the abrupt change in plans--but there is so much to do in the Barcelona area. The food, spa, and accommodations are wonderful on board--so you do have a floating 5 star all inclusive resort to stay on.

Sitges, a little beach town not too far away, is my husband's great grandfather's home town before he emigrated to Cuba!

With our fogged in Venice port and now this, Viking has had lot of extra expenses it hadn't planned on for the Sea.

It is snowing at home. Our daughter is hunkered down 5 hours from home waiting for the storm to pass through and the interstates to be cleared and safe to drive. We are doing fine. We are gonna have a great time here in Barcelona. Already you have shared some great suggestions. Some we have done already and others we have not.

It is a fun week to be stuck in Barcelona. The kids are home for school vacation and families are out and about and waiting for the arrival of the 3 Kings. Barcelona is jumping this week and we are gonna enjoy it.

Fortunately, Viking is allowing us to remain on the ship until January 8, so we don't have to worry about accommodation until our post cruise plans begin. So what if it wasn't the cruise we were expecting. It isn't snowing and my hat and gloves are still in the suitcase.

For those who asked, I am not keeping up on the technical issues. I don't want to become in engaged in game of whispering down the lane the engineers edition. I never could play that game. Something really important on boat broke. They have to fix it. It is going to take enough days to accomplish that they decided that best thing to do was to bring us back to Barcelona. That about as complicated as i want to get.

Hazel, et al. thanks but not to worry. It was a little strange at first to have the sudden change dropped on us but you have to understand that I've just been given the best of both worlds--a floating resort hotel on the coast of Spain. I'm a happy camper! We'll get to Malta and Tunis another time.

I will join the others in being happy for your uplifting attitude. That's the way to look at life! There's always an adventure to be had if you have the eyes to see it. Good for you.

Looks like plan B is up and running for all of you on this aborted cruise.

What are the repairs that will be done back in Barcelona?

Enjoy all your day trips ,hope going to Monserrat is on your list. It is worth the 45 mintue trip there. Also check out the maritime museum in Barcelona. It is located down by the Columbus statue. It has a life size replica of a colonial ship , you can explore. The Musuem of Art of Catalonia up on Mount Jurric is a great way to send an afternoon.

Look forward to your reports of a cruise now turned into a land vacation.

maybe you can offer an opinion regarding Monserrat, please. Friends tell us it's not a strenuous trip yet Viking has it categorized as 'demanding'. My wife doesn't use a walker but she cannot walk long distances...we're up in the air about this tour (no pun intended).

maybe you can offer an opinion regarding Monserrat, please. Friends tell us it's not a strenuous trip yet Viking has it categorized as 'demanding'. My wife doesn't use a walker but she cannot walk long distances...we're up in the air about this tour (no pun intended).

Viking may mark a tour as demanding if there is rough, uneven terrain, a lot of steps or even long distances. Able bodied walkers with no balance issues will scoff at such a description for Monserrat.

I suggest you use google to look for pictures and plans of the complex. Do note that once you are on the train you will be on foot the whole time.

We took a van and they dropped us off below the church where all vans , cars etc drop off passengers. It is about three blocks of incline to reach the church entrance itself. Wide sidewalks on both side of paved street, not cobblestone. Benches and places to stop along the wall overlooking the valley while you are walking.

The walking trails beyond the church out onto the pinnacle is real hiking, not something I did. Two in our party did hike part of the way and back.

There are gift shops, cafeteia , coffee shop and art museum outside the church.

A nice group of stalls selling local cheeses, jams, breads, nuts etc. It was so fun.

The church and it history is fascinating.It still is a monestary and retreat center and pilgrimage site.

I think your wife will be fine if she just takes her time and at her own pace.

We had a great guide from Bacelona Day tours. She gave us the history of the reigon as we drove in this mountain area. Beautiful, breathtaking views at every turn.

Edited by Azulann

Hopefully they have learned from whatever the "mechanical/powerplant" issues are and can apply to the sister ships. The Viking Sky is about to come online for her first cruise(s) in late February.

Sounds similar to our engine malfunction on the Viking Star back in 2015. Timing from the inaugural voyage to the malfunction is very close as well.

Peregrina651 and others on the Viking Sea, so sorry that your cruise has been cut short. Didn't realize that you were in Spain when we were conversing about my plans for Spain next year. Sounds like you are maintaining a positive attitude. I'm hearing from my cousin in VT and a friend who just moved to NH about the snow. So yes - given the choice between snow and Mediterranean sun - the choice is a no brainer. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took a van and they dropped us off below the church where all vans , cars etc drop off passengers. It is about three blocks of incline to reach the church entrance itself. Wide sidewalks on both side of paved street, not cobblestone. Benches and places to stop along the wall overlooking the valley while you are walking.

The walking trails beyond the church out onto the pinnacle is real hiking, not something I did. Two in our party did hike part of the way and back.

There are gift shops, cafeteia , coffee shop and art museum outside the church.

A nice group of stalls selling local cheeses, jams, breads, nuts etc. It was so fun.

The church and it history is fascinating.It still is a monestary and retreat center and pilgrimage site.

I think your wife will be fine if she just takes her time and at her own pace.

We had a great guide from Bacelona Day tours. She gave us the history of the reigon as we drove in this mountain area. Beautiful, breathtaking views at every turn.

a BIG (not "bigly") thanks to you and Peregrina for this info. We decided that since we have not yet visited Sagrada Famiglia nor the Parc, we'll do that instead. We think the altitude of Monserrate and the 3 block walk up the incline might be problematic....I think Peregrina's positive attitude has infected us and we'll fine with the swap in tours. We wish you and she a fantastic vacation.

Edited by CTLeeA

a BIG (not "bigly") thanks to you and Peregrina for this info. We decided that since we have not yet visited Sagrada Famiglia nor the Parc, we'll do that instead. We think the altitude of Monserrate and the 3 block walk up the incline might be problematic....I think Peregrina's positive attitude has infected us and we'll fine with the swap in tours. We wish you and she a fantastic vacation.

If your wife has difficulty in walking long distances, you might want to rethink Parc Guell. We did Viking's 'Gaudi Architecture Tour', and Park Guell was our first stop. The bus dropped us at the top and then we walked down while admiring the buildings and other structures in the park. We then had to walk along a long path back to the bus. Just an FYI.

Becki

If your wife has difficulty in walking long distances, you might want to rethink Parc Guell. We did Viking's 'Gaudi Architecture Tour', and Park Guell was our first stop. The bus dropped us at the top and then we walked down while admiring the buildings and other structures in the park. We then had to walk along a long path back to the bus. Just an FYI.

Becki

Thanks for that, Becki! Do you happen to remember if there is a park entrance/exit at the bottom of that long path?

CTLeeA: My wife has similar mobility issues to your wife's. We have been to Barcelona before, but had not visited Park Guell or Sagrada Familia, so were thinking of visiting them this time (3/6?). If the Park can be done one way (down hill), I'm thinking of taking a taxi to the top, then picking up a taxi at the bottom to go to Sagrada Familia.

There is a park entrance from the bottom of PAC Guell.....we caught the hop on hop off buss to Sagradia (where we had reservations and I highly recommend) then took it to their drop point at the bottom. It required a lot of uphill walking to get to the entrance.....where we did not have reservations and had to wait a couple hours. We ate lunch right outside the park.....that was okay for me, but any mobility issues would absolutely have a difficult time....

Thanks for that, Becki! Do you happen to remember if there is a park entrance/exit at the bottom of that long path?

CTLeeA: My wife has similar mobility issues to your wife's. We have been to Barcelona before, but had not visited Park Guell or Sagrada Familia, so were thinking of visiting them this time (3/6?). If the Park can be done one way (down hill), I'm thinking of taking a taxi to the top, then picking up a taxi at the bottom to go to Sagrada Familia.

Becki: thanks so much for the info...we bought Viking tix for the Gaudi Arch Tour as you did...

Mort and Fran: We thought about doing Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell on our own as well, but then we're faced with standing in long lines v. being whisked in with the tour group.

I think what's best for us is just to deal what my wife's limitations are. Now that we know that a long walk downhill at the parc means an equally long walk uphill to return to the bus, we just won't go all the way down...at Sagrada, I understand the elevator is to go up only and stairs must be taken to go back down...so I'll do that alone and she'll wait for me below. Europe is, unfortunately, a very hilly place and my wife is ok with me doing more exploring while she waits for me to return...

There is a disabled entrance and exit to Sagrada Familia via a ramp ramp that comes out near the gift shop. The staff around there will show you, as it's not well signposted. Parc Guell is hilly and may be too much for someone with mobility issues.

You can easily book tickets for Sagrada Familia online and skip any queues. If you are over 65 and can prove it with your passport then you get a substantial discount on the entrance fee. It really is a place that shouldn't be missed. It's completely amazing.

Back to the original purpose of this thread.....just wondering, like all of us on the Jan 8th cruise, whether we will actually be going? It's very frustrating not having any info from Viking itself about the likelihood of the repairs being done in time for our cruise to go ahead. Logically, it must be a pretty major problem for Peregrina's whole cruise to be cancelled and naturally we have concerns. Peregrina was more than kind in alerting us to the problem, but it's not her job to provide us with further info....it's Viking's job and they are not doing it!

Some people will be heading off to Barcelona in a few days for pre cruise stays, yet our TA's and ourselves have heard nothing. Many people who are not on CC would have no idea there is anything wrong with the ship and may be travelling a long distance.

I realise that detailed info may not be available yet, but surely someone from Viking could give us some information here? I know they monitor these boards.

Becki: thanks so much for the info...we bought Viking tix for the Gaudi Arch Tour as you did...

Mort and Fran: We thought about doing Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell on our own as well, but then we're faced with standing in long lines v. being whisked in with the tour group.

I think what's best for us is just to deal what my wife's limitations are. Now that we know that a long walk downhill at the parc means an equally long walk uphill to return to the bus, we just won't go all the way down...at Sagrada, I understand the elevator is to go up only and stairs must be taken to go back down...so I'll do that alone and she'll wait for me below. Europe is, unfortunately, a very hilly place and my wife is ok with me doing more exploring while she waits for me to return...

You are most welcome! I hope you have as great a guide as we did; she was fantastic. There were a couple of people who had some mobility issues on our tour and I overheard her direct them to the best route to save steps. There will also be some walking to get to Sagrada Familia from where the bus will park and then a bit of winding thru the ropes and standing in line until your tour gets in, but, oh, it is so worth it!

As for your wife wife waiting while you do more exploring; i've done plenty of that, as I have a terrible fear of heights and many times I have sat and waited while my husband has climbed lighthouses or taken a helicopter ride. ;)

Becki

We plan to get tickets for the Sagrada Familia on line, but we do not know how to get to the site on disembarkation. Is it by taxi/limo? or by some public transport? Thanks. J

I would get a taxi directly from the port. Should cost around €12 -15 depending on traffic. There is a taxi rank just outside the port and very near Sagrada Familia to return to the ship or go to Plaza Catalunya. Your other option is to do a HOHO bus tour....there is a stop outside the port buildings. You can hop off at Sagrada Familia, do your visit inside the Cathedral, then get back on the later bus and continue on with the Barcelona tour. It does the Gaudi Buildings as well, so you could get off there too. The HOHO bus is very good value to see a lot of Barcelona in a few hours, if you are not familiar with the city.

We really liked the HOHO in Barcelona. A very good tour for the money. You get a couple bucks off if you are a senior or 10% off if you book online. But, if you just decide at the last minute, you can pay with a credit card at any stop (we did the Bus Turistic). You get brand-new earphones to listen to the narration in English or a myriad of other languages, and if it is a nice day, the top level is open-air and the views are great for photos.

https://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/en/home

Becki

I would get a taxi directly from the port. Should cost around €12 -15 depending on traffic. There is a taxi rank just outside the port and very near Sagrada Familia to return to the ship or go to Plaza Catalunya. Your other option is to do a HOHO bus tour....there is a stop outside the port buildings. You can hop off at Sagrada Familia, do your visit inside the Cathedral, then get back on the later bus and continue on with the Barcelona tour. It does the Gaudi Buildings as well, so you could get off there too. The HOHO bus is very good value to see a lot of Barcelona in a few hours, if you are not familiar with the city.

You can take a taxi right at your cruise terminal but you will pay an added fee for pickup inside the port area plus the extra mileage just to get from the terminal to the front gate. We took the ship's shuttle fom the terminal to the drop off point in front of the world trade for center. There is a hotel right there and you can probably get a cab there but we started to walk toward Colon and stop to flag a cab before it got to the circle. It cost us 10 euros including the tip.

I thnk i saw that the HOHOs stop near the Viking port shuttle stop.

Are you in the Moll d'Adossat terminal or The World Trade Centre berth Peregrina?

I would so love it if it's the WTC berth. It's so convenient, but my partner told me Viking Sea would be at the main cruise terminal of Moll d'Adossat this time. We always berth at the WTC with Azamara and Silversea. The Eurostars Marina right next door is a lovely hotel and I have stayed there a few times. They do great coffee and cakes if you would like to pop in for a change of scenery. You can always get a taxi here too. There is indeed a HOHO bus stop right outside the WTC cruise terminal.

Are you in the Moll d'Adossat terminal or The World Trade Centre berth Peregrina?

I would so love it if it's the WTC berth. It's so convenient, but my partner told me Viking Sea would be at the main cruise terminal of Moll d'Adossat this time. We always berth at the WTC with Azamara and Silversea. The Eurostars Marina right next door is a lovely hotel and I have stayed there a few times. They do great coffee and cakes if you would like to pop in for a change of scenery. You can always get a taxi here too. There is indeed a HOHO bus stop right outside the WTC cruise terminal.

We are at Moll Adossat, Terminal C, hence the need for the shuttle bus out of the port. If you don't have Viking transfers, be sure to double check the berthing. We were told Terminal D in the cruise docs but it turned out to be Terminal B on embarkation day.

I'm curious as to whether Viking offered any compensation to those folks who decided they did not want to stay on the ship? We are booked on the Sea next month and I'm a bit worried as I've read the Sea also broke down in August in Malta.