Butter dish refused

antsp

We haven't had an issue on the Crown, Ruby or Grand in the past year.

Butter has always been left on the table, but perhaps it has to do with people coughing on butter and it not being able to be served to others (kidding)? Minimize waste? If it gets served on your table it can't be reused.

So if it is put on a butter plate and set on a shelg somewhere is it still able to be used at other meals?

Right! Because the next people will not know it was sitting on a shelf!;)

Nothing to do with waste or health issues just good old corporate greed!

Edited by Reader0108598

I would simply say, "Excuse me, but I need more butter..." and when they bring 1 pat...I'd say, "Sorry, but I need 6 more"..and thank them! You can get what you need, but you have to ask for it!

Butter is fine not being refrigerated for 2-3 days...it will NOT hurt it!

Edited by cb at sea

I would simply say, "Excuse me, but I need more butter..." and when they bring 1 pat...I'd say, "Sorry, but I need 6 more"..and thank them! You can get what you need, but you have to ask for it!

Butter is fine not being refrigerated for 2-3 days...it will NOT hurt it!

Great post Cb at sea :)

Agree, butter is fine not refrigerated ,but we better hope a waiter or passer by does not sneeze on it before it makes it to the next table :(

I mean since the cruise line is so worried about the peeps at the first table contaminating it, that they do not want to leave the dish for them!

Edited by Reader0108598

I believe that there may have been a virus alert. I believe that when a ship is under virus alert they either have to serve individual butter packets or have the waiters serve the butter. Obviously they will not explain by saying they are under a virus alert. This is part of the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and has to do with the number of gastro-intestinal problems reported by passengers during a cruise.

Waiting a minute for butter is better than getting norovirus. And outbreaks of norovirus can happen because some passengers are not as diligent about hygiene as others.

This is an issue of cutting back on waste. If a butter dish is on the table after the meal is finished, the remaining contents must be thrown out. If you want more butter they will always give you more. At the beginning of the meal, I ask for the amount of butter patties that I think I will need for the entire meal.
Very seldom is there any butter left in those dishes by the end of my meal.

We've have the butter dishes only served by waiters when the ship was under controls for a virus. The big issue we've found then was when one wants butter for the baked potato or veggies, the waiters are no where to be found. When they finally come back (having been gone to get something for another table) the food is no longer warm enough to melt the butter.

Who touches the butter with their hands? We have little butter knifes ...

In 26 cruises I have never seen anyone touch the butter with their hands..hog the bread basket yes, but never touch the butter on the table with their hands.

Guess we have been lucky:)

Its not touching the butter, that is the issue. How do you think that butter dish moves around the table? It is touched by multiple folks and passed from person to person. The cruise lines are trying to prevent common contact points....as a Noro prevention issue. Perhaps its overkill...but the sentiment is in the right place.

Hank

Just curious, I wonder if they do this in the specialty restaurant's . I mean you know to avoid waste!

Reader

We ate at the Crown Grill on the cruise I mentioned earlier, and the butter dish was left on the table. When I asked the about it he just smiled and walked away.

Its not touching the butter, that is the issue. How do you think that butter dish moves around the table? It is touched by multiple folks and passed from person to person. The cruise lines are trying to prevent common contact points....as a Noro prevention issue. Perhaps its overkill...but the sentiment is in the right place.

Hank

Wouldn't people still pass the plate holding the wrapped butter?

I will simply ask up front for a couple of pats of butter. I like it on my rolls and can't resist the dang rolls. If I was ordering something with a baked potato I would ask that it be served with a couple of extra pats of butter rather than waiting for it to be served and then asking. I find Princess staff to be most accommodating...as long as I remember to ask...

I will just see how things are on the first night of the cruise and then, if necessary, adopt the above procedure for the rest of the cruise. Not really difficult.

My guess is that since you can't serve anything again once it has been on the table they probably are not throwing out nearly as much butter :confused:.

But, taking the butter dish away has absolutely nothing to do with reducing waste! If the plate has butter left on it, they're going to have to throw that butter away whether they take that butter away right then or leave it there till the last dish (probably dessert) is taken from the table. In both cases the butter left on the plate is going to be thrown away, regardless of how long it's been sitting on that plate on the table?

Tom

This isn't about waste. It's about High Cholesterol!!! Princess is trying to get you in shape. Wait until the Medallions are in use and they are tracking your fried food intake. MDR will only have poached chicken breasts and steamed broccoli. Buffet will have only Rice Cakes.

If that were true they would eliminate most carbohydrates. All those, breads, deserts, most drinks, etc........Ha, when will that happen? Not in this world. :rolleyes::D:)

That logic says the bread baskets and salt and pepper shakers should also be removed as well as the little container of cream. After all, they get passed around at least as much as the butter dish.

I believe that there may have been a virus alert. I believe that when a ship is under virus alert they either have to serve individual butter packets or have the waiters serve the butter.

It that was true, then there would also be no salt and pepper shakers or breadbaskets on the table. Nobody has posted these are missing along with the butter dish.

Very seldom is there any butter left in those dishes by the end of my meal.

We've have the butter dishes only served by waiters when the ship was under controls for a virus. The big issue we've found then was when one wants butter for the baked potato or veggies, the waiters are no where to be found. When they finally come back (having been gone to get something for another table) the food is no longer warm enough to melt the butter.

AMEN!!! I want the butter there the minute I want it - I do not want to wait to get it and the food is to cool to melt it!

We ate at the Crown Grill on the cruise I mentioned earlier, and the butter dish was left on the table. When I asked the about it he just smiled and walked away.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected...just another cost cutting measure.

It will show up somewhere as a perk..."all the butter you want" no waiting ...lol

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Hank

Hank, I am glad you believe that the cruise line is just trying to protect you.