Food from the ship

Packaged and sealed only like the small cereal boxes from the buffet or of you have your own protein bars. No fresh anything. Cozumel in particular has dogs you must pass when leaving the ship who will sniff your bags and if anything is found, at minimum it is taken away.

Now you're making me think! We are bringing grandchildren (and their parents) next week and was thinking we would be able to take a banana or something for the toddler to tide him over till lunchtime but guess that's a no-no? Re-plan needed......:confused: Thanks OP for bringing this up!

Now you're making me think! We are bringing grandchildren (and their parents) next week and was thinking we would be able to take a banana or something for the toddler to tide him over till lunchtime but guess that's a no-no? Re-plan needed......:confused: Thanks OP for bringing this up!

Definitely not fresh produce, I saw a TON of confiscated bananas.

We took a few small things off ship; mini packaged Cheerios from the WJ, and crackers we'd brought from home that were individually packaged. The cereal and crackers were for snorkeling :-).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Best to bring your own snacks from home. Individual cracker/cheese or Pnut butter packets, protein bars, candy bars, un opened chip packages, small nut packets,etc.
I was going to say the same thing. Pick up what we Southerners call "a pack of Nabs" at the grocery store before you go. Or granola bars, breakfast bars, etc.

My husband's diabetic, and when he needs something, he needs it NOW ... so we pack these snacks now.

Pick up some of those baby foods in squeeze containers. Easy to pack, and since it's factory sealed, no dangers of having it confiscated.

Where you really don't want to do is take food off the ship when you return to the US. Customs is very serious about this, and the fines can be HUGE. Like 6-months salary huge.

We used to take sandwiches from the Promenade Cafe on shore with us so we could have a picnic lunch. Can't do this anymore? It's been several years since we've cruise with Royal.

Some ports are more stringent in checking than others. Take food items off at your own risk.

Where you really don't want to do is take food off the ship when you return to the US. Customs is very serious about this, and the fines can be HUGE. Like 6-months salary huge.

The chances of that are lower than getting a refund on your room service charge. The norm is to simply confiscate the offending item.

It is certainly advisable not to even bring it off the ship, but if you forget and walk off with a banana or apple or something- there are plenty of trash cans and collection areas for you to rid yourself of contraband.

Grand Cayman is also very serious about bringing "contraband" on their island. I once accidentally forgot I had a bagel in my backpack. I had gotten it to take to my niece one morning before we were leaving the ship. She ended up not eating it and I had planned to go put it in my cabin before we left. We got sidetracked and I forgot to take the bagel out. I was certainly chastised for attempting to bring my bagel onto the island, but was more than happy to throw it away.

When we came back off of our cruise on Freedom when she was still in Port Canaveral in 2015- there was a man standing on the ramp once we disembarked that was telling us how thorough he was and that he had never even let so much as a grape get past his station. He was one of the "early warnings" very soon after you got off the ship. He was yelling so much that I figured there would be a big trashcan full of contraband he caught for people who forgot or thought they would bring off a snack. I am thinking he was embellishing his track record a bit because we when got down closer to the customs agents, there were trash can full of contraband that had made it well past the grape man.

We used to take sandwiches from the Promenade Cafe on shore with us so we could have a picnic lunch. Can't do this anymore? It's been several years since we've cruise with Royal.

You weren't supposed to years ago either. Even in 1980's on Royal was told it was a no no..

we asked, and were allowed to bring coffee from Cafe Promenade off the ship.

I was surprised they let us, but said, "sure, go ahead"

here's proof from Roatan:

thumb_img_1368_8.jpg

thumb_img_1370_3.jpg

Coffee is okay, We've done it in several ports. Hot coffee doesn't post a risk of introducing disease or pests which is the reason the rule about fresh food and produce exists. Easiest thing is to grab boxes of cereal from the WJ and/or bring individually packaged snacks with you. I've brought pre-packaged nuts and trail mix to take on excursions that we might not get lunch on or that run late enough that were really hungry before it's over.

And, the rules aren't RCI's, they are the agriculture laws of the countries being visited. You also can't bring off fresh produce or food into US ports from cruise ships.

Coffee is okay, We've done it in several ports. Hot coffee doesn't post a risk of introducing disease or pests which is the reason the rule about fresh food and produce exists. Easiest thing is to grab boxes of cereal from the WJ and/or bring individually packaged snacks with you. I've brought pre-packaged nuts and trail mix to take on excursions that we might not get lunch on or that run late enough that were really hungry before it's over.

And, the rules aren't RCI's, they are the agriculture laws of the countries being visited. You also can't bring off fresh produce or food into US ports from cruise ships.

We have been stopped before in some ports from bringing coffee off the ship. Can't remember which port but just figured it was all, guess not.

And yes this is not a cruise line rules but a port rule, all about what "pests" you may be bringing in that they do not want.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

We have been stopped before in some ports from bringing coffee off the ship. Can't remember which port but just figured it was all, guess not.

And yes this is not a cruise line rules but a port rule, all about what "pests" you may be bringing in that they do not want.

I remember when we were on Mariner out of San Pedro, once we were within some distance of the port, we were not allowed to have food out on deck.

I remember when we were on Mariner out of San Pedro, once we were within some distance of the port, we were not allowed to have food out on deck.

I remember that as well. Messed up our first day rituals! 😀Just goes to show each port is unique and there us no 1 size fits all.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Do any Caribbean ports allow you to bring a snack from the ship? In particular, do Cozumel, George Town, or Falmouth allow this?

NO in Cozumel they have dogs sniffing your bags and there is a $250 fine if you do.