A fall in the Ruby theatre

esper10

Hi all, we just returned from a cruise with the Ruby princess. My mom fell in the theater. She was coming out and towards the end the rails are sticking out so she hurt herself. At first we didn't even go to the doctor or reported it because I thought it's no big thing and she will be ok. Long story short she didn't get any better we went to see the doctor and did the accident report. I wanted to send a letter to the company as our cruise was truly ruined. This happened on day one of the cruise these rails are truly can be dangerous. Any of you can give me an Emil address? I would truly appreciate it.

Hi all, we just returned from a cruise with the Ruby princess. My mom fell in the theater. She was coming out and towards the end the rails are sticking out so she hurt herself. At first we didn't even go to the doctor or reported it because I thought it's no big thing and she will be ok. Long story short she didn't get any better we went to see the doctor and did the accident report. I wanted to send a letter to the company as our cruise was truly ruined. This happened on day one of the cruise these rails are truly can be dangerous. Any of you can give me an Emil address? I would truly appreciate it.

I can't give you the email address but I have to wonder.... what are you expecting from the cruise line now that you didn't when you were on board. I'm sorry your cruise was impacted from your mom's fall but in reality falls happen to people every day and it isn't always someone's fault but just an accident. That's why they call it an accident. If it wasn't that bad that you didn't take her for immediate treatment then let's face it - it wasn't that bad.

So now that you are home, what do you want? A free cruise for all of you? I've fallen on a cruise and it impacted my cruise but guess what. I didn't feel the need for a free cruise and a discount. I figured that I might have been responsible for myself and the while the fall might have been avoided if something was different, the fact remains that I was partially responsible as I'm sure your mother was. Otherwise everyone would have fallen on that rail.

I'm just curious? When she fell did no crew members come to her aid? Did no one on the ship assist her? If they did, what did you say. She's fine. So what would you have them do. You said she's fine and then the next day after you've had time to think about it, hey, we might get something if we had said something different. I'd like to say that isn't you BUT now you are asking for an email to address this with corporate. Are you really just going to report something that could be fixed - or do you want something handed to you? Restore my faith in humanity and tell me you just want to tell them you want the handrail issue fixed.

If you need to pursue this... then customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I'm trying to visualize the rails in question and failing miserable. Does anybody have a pic of what the rails may look like where they stick out in an unsafe manner? Not trying to be snarky - just curious as to exactly what is being discussed.

Tough room, but I have to wonder in what way is the railing "truly dangerous?" It's not like it tripped up your mother, or that she grabbed hold of it and it fell off the wall. As far as I can tell, she fell and hit a protruding surface. In what way is that the railing's fault? Because it doesn't have rubber bumpers?

I have browsed lots of pictures of the theaters on Ruby and Crown, and can't see any protruding surfaces other than safety railings. I would need to see a pictures of this hazard to understand. And how did this ruin your mother's cruise? EM

I would say that because you never went to the doctor on board nor reported it at the time Princess will just apologize.

Anything that goes wrong while cruising MUST be reported at the time so that if anything goes wrong later, as it seems to have done, then Princess will have actual details not "I think ...."

In this case a photo of the offending part of the ship should have been taken to go with the report.

Good luck with your claim but don't expect too much.

I am sorry about her fall. I fell quite hard on my recent cruise on the Regal on the walking track on day 1, and had a black eye and bruised sore ribs for the cruise and beyond. It was an accident as I caught my toe on the surface, no ones fault but my own. A Princess employee plus other passengers were helpful, but I declined to go to medical center.

The Ruby Princess is a 9 year old ship and my guess is that if something structural was as you say "dangerous", resulting in a pattern of passenger injuries, it would have been addressed years ago. Unfortunately accidents happen, and people fall.

Wishing her a full recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do want to thank all of you for the comparison you are showing. Just to let you know we cruise A LOT. We are diamonds with Royal Caribean and Celebraty we also cruised many times with Carnival and we never ever asked for any thing and on this one again I didn't want any thing other than may be to prevent it from happening to any one else. I we wanted a free cruise as some of you trying to say we would have filed a report right away. I kept on thinking that it is nothing but she kept on complaining. She Brest is black and blue also I was worried I'd she cracked a rib this was way I took her to the doctor NOT looking for nothing. YES, the rail at the end of the theater stick out in the last 2-3 raws and if you pay no attentions you can hurt yourself. Thank you once again but no I'm not looking for free cruise

I'm so sorry! Poor thing! I hope she can forget it after awhile and only remember the good things about the cruise.

I wouldn't expect anything from them - even a little OBC. I'm just saying this from experience. We had a terrible accident on one of their tours. I thank God to this day still that we had the nicest firemen & nurses on our tour who really helped us. We even had to pay for our own onboard medical expenses. We've learned to get travel insurance since that incident. I hope you at least get a response from Princess. We never did.

I'm so sorry! Poor thing! I hope she can forget it after awhile and only remember the good things about the cruise.

I wouldn't expect anything from them - even a little OBC. I'm just saying this from experience. We had a terrible accident on one of their tours. I thank God to this day still that we had the nicest firemen & nurses on our tour who really helped us. We even had to pay for our own onboard medical expenses. We've learned to get travel insurance since that incident. I hope you at least get a response from Princess. We never did.

Thank you so much you are sweet. I do have insurance from princess I have the gold one. I did pay the $95.00 and I will get it back. What happened to her was a shock to me as I walked out thinking she is right behind me but when she came out she told me she fall. Someone did help her up but we didn't know who. There is a BIG camera right there. When you are older you may not be as sharp and alert as when you are younger. That rail hit her right in her Brest. So I was kind of surprised and disappointed from all the mean replies but it's OK and may be in second thoughts why write? Trying to help someone else?

So sorry for your Mom. When we were on the Royal in Nov, going down to find a seat on the end aisle in the theater I nearly tripped. Thank goodness I caught myself. When husband was coming down the steps in the Atrium on one of our cruises he tripped and almost fell into the drum set. Not good! Although people are careful things happen and when they do you feel like a real klutz. I don't think that Princess will change the railing unless others complain. Of course thats up to you to tell them the story, if it were me I'd let it go less aggregation that way. Hope Mom is doing better.

While I haven't been on the Ruby, I've been on just about every Princess ship past and present and have never seen railings that are "obviously dangerous." It sounds like an accident whereby anything in her path might have made her fall more damaging. Depending on how you fall, anything can be an object. I've been with a friend who tripped going up a couple of steps. I wouldn't call the steps dangerous just because she fell.

If you see anything dangerous you should report it immediately whether it causes injury or not.

The most dangerous situations I've experienced were on a Celebrity ship. There was a narrow walkway between my cabin and the elevators on the other side of the ship and a large scooter was parked there blocking access for the entire cruise. You had to walk sideways to get past the scooter. Definitely a hazard. It wasn't moved until after six days when I'd finally had enough and reported it. Thirty minutes later it was gone. For some very odd reason, my steward (on the same cruise) stored someone's wheelchair outside my cabin door partially blocking access in or out. I tripped over it going out my door a couple of times, not expecting having a wheelchair in front of my door. Celebrity deliberately instigated or ignored dangerous situations. :(

I'm sorry your mom fell; but, those rails are not "sticking out".

One has a responsibility to watch where they're going. It seems ironic that rails installed for people to hold onto - to keep them from falling - you think 'caused' your mom to fall.

If anyone is that unsteady going down the steps they should just sit to the rear of the theater and not venture down the steps. I've seen plenty of people who could hardly walk try the same thing. The back rows are specifically designated for those individuals.

Gee, sorry your Mom fell but personally, I would let this one go. I would think that there probably needed to be a spill, worn or torn spot or slippery surface to cause the fall. Then you might have to prove Princess knew about it and did nothing about it. It sounds like your Mom tripped or misstepped and fell into the railing. She could have otherwise fallen down the steps or over the chairs.

Accidents happen and sometimes it's our own fault. If no railing was there, you might have a better case.

I was on a jury once where some woman tripped on a soda can on the subway stairs. Most people on the jury reacted like most people on cruise critic. You just got to be careful and accidents happen.

Edited by lolane1
spelling

Sorry about your mom. That is too bad. I hope she feels much better in the near future.

I am astounded by some people's unempathetic and nasty responses, actually accusing the OP of ambulance chasing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was on the Ruby in January and were in the showroom many nights. Don't remember any protruding rails. We sit up level, anywhere above the partition. Which rail exactly she bang into? Was she walking when the lights were on? Was she talking? Did Princess charge for the DR visit?

People run into obvious things all the time. Friend tripped over an 'unmarked' curb at the bank. Still can't figure out which one she fell over as they're all marked and/or below wrought iron fencing. Won't discuss the time DD walked straight into an HC parking sign pole.

Hope your mother heals quickly.

Interesting, "protruding handrails". We have been on the Ruby 5 times and the handrails are there for a purpose (like to hang onto as you leave the theater) as near as we can tell. Sorry about your Mom. I think that you may need to monitor her a bit more closely if she is having issues climbing the stairs out of the theater. Not being snarky here. Just saying based on our experience cruising with my Mom in the last couple of years.