Royal Princess to move to California?

cruzrbachoua

Not necessarily... Not many Princess cruisers would switch to Norwegian. Some,yes and some will try it but that would mainly be a younger crowd. I'm very happy to have the Royal on the West Coast!

Agreed. With both your points. San Fran or L.A., either one okay with us.

I seriously doubt Victoria could handle embarking / disembarking 3,600+ passengers. There's not a lot of air capacity at YYJ (Victoria) and while the ferries are large, they're pretty busy with the existing local traffic.

the YYJ master plan includes a runway expansion and rumour around town is that victoria is looking to become a home cruise port by 2020. that could be very dangerous for my wallet! whether the bureaucrats get it together enough for this to happen is another story!

Cruzinchick

I am not sure why this bothers you. There are people who prefer to cruise a certain way. Why would I cruise on a ship that has things that dont interest me. Before I did my first cruise i researched all lines and found i fit better on princess. I dont drink or party so we chose not to do carnival, we have no children and have not need for wave pools, rock climbing so why would i pick NCL. I read the reviews it seemed more for the adventure seeking or geared for families. We don't have children nor do I find vacationing with others children appealing so we chose princess. I am not saying NCL sucks or they are bad i am simply stating that I/we prefer the atmosphere on princess. ..if you like NCL..that is great. .people are different which is why each line offers different things so everyone can be happy with their vacation. And so you know we have also been on HAL and celebrity but still prefer to be on princess as it feels like home...to each their own and no need to make those types comments when you know nothing about me or why i made the decision to go princess.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Princess has recently sold out cruises sailing round the Horn between FLL and LA so she doesn't need to fit through the Canal. The Crown is shifting from West Coast to FLL so she would presumably replace the Royal. We thoroughly enjoyed the Regal and would be glad if we don't need to wait until late 2019 or later to get a Royal class ship on the West Coast [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like Pam, when I heard of the new Royal class ships being built, I was hoping the Regal or Royal would head west. I personally love that class ship. Hoping Lions Gate Bridge does not pose a problem. When the Celebrity Solstice had the Lions Gate height problem, I believe it called on the port in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. Nanaimo is much closer to the BC and WA State ferry terminal in Sydney, BC. Also, very industrial, so construction of even a temporary terminal would be much easier than embarking/disembarking in Victoria. Can't wait for the official news.

Celebrity Solstice was able to pass under Lions Gate Bridge only twice a season when the low tides gave her enough clearance. They also hinged the top of a mast to allow this to occur. The other problem with air draft for ships sailing from Vancouver to Alaska is the power wires at Seymour Narrows, with Solstice and Explorer of the Seas not fitting below those lines. I am not sure of the exact air draft of the Royal Princess, but for the record here are the official air draft clearances.

Panama Canal is 57.91 meters or 190.1 feet. First Narrows, Lions Gate Bridge is 56.57 meters or 185.6 feet,.. Seymour Narrows is 58.0 meters or 190.3 feet (possible lower of very hot summer days when the wires sag lower). Here too are some air drafts for comparison. Ruby/Crown/Emerald are 56.24 meters. Solstice is 57.44 meters. Explorer is 63.7 meters.

They have to as the Bliss will be deployed on the west coast for 8 months to do Alaska and Mexico.

Watch Bliss (Breakaway Class) dent the princess west coast market.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/bliss

I would totally be interested in trying Norwegian as long as I can book a cabin in the Haven [emoji2] I need a little more entertainment action and better dance clubs than what our last cruise on Regal had to offer, (good shows, but ho-hum music in the atrium, too much emphasis on 1960s music) so I would welcome a more uptempo vibe.

However, Norwegian better get their act together, re: express disembarkation. The recent stories regarding self disembarkation in Miami sound horrendous. [emoji79]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Princess has recently sold out cruises sailing round the Horn between FLL and LA so she doesn't need to fit through the Canal. The Crown is shifting from West Coast to FLL so she would presumably replace the Royal. We thoroughly enjoyed the Regal and would be glad if we don't need to wait until late 2019 or later to get a Royal class ship on the West Coast [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would agree with this. She probably won't reposition through the Canal... she'll take over the South American run. And then on to the West Coast and probably Alaska too.

Cruzinchick

I am not sure why this bothers you. There are people who prefer to cruise a certain way. Why would I cruise on a ship that has things that dont interest me. Before I did my first cruise i researched all lines and found i fit better on princess. I dont drink or party so we chose not to do carnival, we have no children and have not need for wave pools, rock climbing so why would i pick NCL. I read the reviews it seemed more for the adventure seeking or geared for families. We don't have children nor do I find vacationing with others children appealing so we chose princess. I am not saying NCL sucks or they are bad i am simply stating that I/we prefer the atmosphere on princess. ..if you like NCL..that is great. .people are different which is why each line offers different things so everyone can be happy with their vacation. And so you know we have also been on HAL and celebrity but still prefer to be on princess as it feels like home...to each their own and no need to make those types comments when you know nothing about me or why i made the decision to go princess.

Interesting. I read her post as being in agreement with you. (Count me in as) "Another Princess vet with absolutely no interest in an NCL cruise."

A lot of typing for what appears to be a misunderstanding.

As for the Royal potentially moving to the West Coast...Large pax ships leave me feeling rather bleh.

Some of my more memorable cruises have been on ships that were <2500 pax -- More intimate, better service, less queuing from embarkation to disembarking to everything in-between, greater public space-to-passenger ratios, simply better quality overall.

Princess is missing the boat with their strategy of 'keeping up with the Joneses' in the mega-ship arms race in my opinion.

Cruising is about being on a ship sailing the seas. The bigger the ship, the less of a tangible connection of sailing the seas. Princess is shrinking the balconies, promenade decks and available pools because they aren't revenue generators. The more time passengers spend in the pools or on their balconies/lower outside decks enjoying the scenery, the less time they are in a location where the ship can generate revenue.

I like the Grand-class, but I have little interest in the Royal class of ships(other than if offering a heavily discounted fare), and if they're slowly replacing the aging Princess fleet, I may find less and less interest in sailing Princess, when there really won't be much difference between other mainstream lines and the cheapened experience of being packed in with 3600+ passengers on another mega-ship.

Skai...that is an interesting take. ..perhaps she was agreeing with me. I had DH read it and he took offense (no prompting from me) so I thought ok I was reading it right but if it was in agreement I am adult enough to say sorry if I read it wrong.

On another note can I just throw San Diego into the running. ..I mean we did just build a beautiful new terminal and we have our lovely downtown area, Seaport Village, Balboa park, zoo. All real close for people coming in early before the cruise, plus the airport is right there across the way from the harbor. ..possibly 5-10 min depending on the lights ....I know it's a BIG long shot that princess would home port here but a gal can dream. ..all we have here is HAL...we used to have more. ..[emoji23] Would love if she could add Acapulco back to the itinerary. .never been would like to go 1 time.

Some of my more memorable cruises have been on ships that were <2500 pax -- More intimate, better service, less queuing from embarkation to disembarking to everything in-between, greater public space-to-passenger ratios, simply better quality overall.

Interestingly, the Royal-class ships have the best public space-to-passenger ratio in the Princess fleet... :cool:

Cruzinchick

Totally agree with you. We have tried several lines and continue to come back to Princess. NCL cruises were all a disaster, RCCL ships are just to large and crowded for us, Oceania handling of Norovirus problem when we were on board, Carnival is just a party ship (we don't drink), etc. We like the layout of the Princess rooms and the ship. Princess fits our needs the best so far.

Quote: "As for the Royal potentially moving to the West Coast...Large pax ships leave me feeling rather bleh.

Princess is missing the boat with their strategy of 'keeping up with the Joneses' in the mega-ship arms race in my opinion."

We are also not interested in the Mega-ships, reason we stopped sailing RCCL. We prefer ships like the Pacific Princess, Coral Princess and Island Princess. We have sailed on the Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess and Emerald Princess but more for the itinerary than the ship and they were okay. But we are just not interested in the new ships Princess are producing. I would really be disappointed if Princess moved the Coral or Island away from the West Coast.

We have expressed our concerns with Princess when they sold the Ocean Princess and had the Pacific Princess up for sale. I guess we were not the only ones because the Pacific Princess is getting a make over sometime the end of May & beginning of June. We will be on her first cruise from FLL in June 2017, we are excited to see what they have done. Know they have added Club Class, we are in one of the CC mini-suites.

Skai...that is an interesting take. ..perhaps she was agreeing with me. I had DH read it and he took offense (no prompting from me) so I thought ok I was reading it right but if it was in agreement I am adult enough to say sorry if I read it wrong.

On another note can I just throw San Diego into the running. ..I mean we did just build a beautiful new terminal and we have our lovely downtown area, Seaport Village, Balboa park, zoo. All real close for people coming in early before the cruise, plus the airport is right there across the way from the harbor. ..possibly 5-10 min depending on the lights ....I know it's a BIG long shot that princess would home port here but a gal can dream. ..all we have here is HAL...we used to have more. ..[emoji23] Would love if she could add Acapulco back to the itinerary. .never been would like to go 1 time.

Just wondering, why do people here on these forums get so easily offended over seemingly trivial issues, or dogmatic positions? "One person's steak is another person's poison." Yes? So why care whether you agree or not with a position that someone has taken? Why escalate a civil discussion here in to an argument? It's bad for your health. Anyway........

But, thumbs up for either San Francisco or San Diego. Great cities, pre and post cruise, easy to get to cruise port from the airport, excellent restaurants, easy to get around to see the local sights, and great cruise port locations. Just my opinion.

So, just curious, why do you want to see Acapulco? From what I've read, it's a pretty dangerous city in Mexico. Of course, YMMV. Disclaimer: I have not been there myself. ;)

http://www.sfgate.com/mexico/mexicomix/article/Most-dangerous-places-in-Mexico-mdash-and-where-2481047.php

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you continued good health, to live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to stay healthy, and to eat a slice of apple pie every day before I die."