Coco Cay news - waterpark and ability to stay overnight

Maybe they set up a small ship that just makes Coco Cay runs from Miami or PE to pick up the stopovers? Or shuttles people to "exclusive" Coco Cay vacations? As was said above where there is $ they will figure it out.

Kinda bitter sweet for me. We are about 50/50 where Coco Cay is a port of call and actually getting to island. Love the quiet / simple beach vs Labadee. We still seek a shaded area for our loungers with a view of water. We have decided to not do sailings with Coco Cay as port of call in future. We really loved the dock in Labadee on our last trip there which is where we are conflicted. Like sailing to Grand Cayman, a tender port, which we have never missed due to tendering!?

As others have mention, we hope the build up does not ruin the island and beach area experience.

Well one thing that might help is that they are planning on building a pier in Coco Cay. That would prevent tendering and make it much less likely to miss the port stop.

Well one thing that might help is that they are planning on building a pier in Coco Cay. That would prevent tendering and make it much less likely to miss the port stop.

It will be nice having a pier but this will lead to overcrowding as I'm sure you will see many days with multiple large ships there in the future.

Given that they are putting in a dock, it is conceivable that they plan on oasis class ships arriving several days of the week during the busy times. This would make the "night stays" easy to coordinate.

You ride out get off your suite is cleaned and they pick up someone else and put them in your former suite. After X# of nights the next ship arrives, the suite person on that ship gets off and you get on and are put in their suite for the rest of the cruise.

Given that they are putting in a dock, it is conceivable that they plan on oasis class ships arriving several days of the week during the busy times. This would make the "night stays" easy to coordinate.

You ride out get off your suite is cleaned and they pick up someone else and put them in your former suite. After X# of nights the next ship arrives, the suite person on that ship gets off and you get on and are put in their suite for the rest of the cruise.

I'll believe Royal can do this efficiently when I see it.

I concur with you. I'm a young Diamond Plus member (could be Pinnacle if only sailed on RCCL) and must say, I LOVE Coco Cay in which its "not" commercialized. Beach bum or not, it's the peacefulness and natural surroundings that makes it special. I used to love Labadee but with all the honky tonk stuff now, it's taken away the beauty of being what it is, a private island. Please don't ruin Coco Cay......

Agree...Labadee was pretty cool when the ships used to tender there. In fact where the hard

dock is now, used to be a nice little beach with good snorkeling.

Now we try to avoid itineraries that go to Labadee.

BTW: Keep in mind Labadee is NOT an island, but is instead a point of leased land on the north coast of the country of Haiti.

Yeah, wait until they put the hard dock in like Labadee and bring in the Oasis class. :(

From quaint little relaxing island...to Disney World. :o

One of the best things about Coco Cay was that the tendering requirement always precluded Oasis class ships from visiting.

One of the best things about Coco Cay was that the tendering requirement always precluded Oasis class ships from visiting.

That process also precluded smaller ships from visiting if the waves were up. [emoji6]

Some have said that since there isn't a bay or cove, that weather could be a factor even with a dock

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

That process also precluded smaller ships from visiting if the waves were up. [emoji6]

Some have said that since there isn't a bay or cove, that weather could be a factor even with a dock

I think that was our resident Chief Engineer who filled us in on how a pier at Coco Cay would not be a panacea.

I thought the cancellation of any ship regardless of size is due to the weather impact on the tenders, not the cruise ship itself.

Maybe they set up a small ship that just makes Coco Cay runs from Miami or PE to pick up the stopovers? Or shuttles people to "exclusive" Coco Cay vacations? As was said above where there is $ they will figure it out.

Sounds like a ferry business to me.

Board in Miami at 6pm. Arrive in CocoCay at 8am, everybody gets off. Stay all day. Sleep. Board cruise at 9am. Back in Miami by 4pm.

^ of course it will be a charge.

Plus the mandatory 18% service charge.

Don't worry though, it will always be on sale. 30% off some mystery price if purchased ahead of time. I mean, UP to 30%. The following week will be a sale for every 3rd ride-down-the-slide free.

I thought the cancellation of any ship regardless of size is due to the weather impact on the tenders, not the cruise ship itself.

I think you are correct. [not trying to take this off topic, related to tendering and Coco Cay and GC]

We recently sailed on the Celebrity Equinox and stopped in Grand Cayman. It was a nice and sunny day until around 3-ish when rain moved in. That was just about the time the last tenders came back. The storm kicked up some swells that we could not even feel on the ship. But played havoc with the tenders. DH and I watched the tendering process for several ships from our balcony.

This is a description I got from a fellow passenger [from a review I posted]:

One of the women at my scarpbooking class had been on the last tender out of Grand Cayman. [remember the tenders are owned by a company in Grand Cayman and contracted by Celebrity]

She had quite a story to tell.

She said there were 95 passengers on the tender. It was one of the smaller one-level tenders. It was a rough ride getting from the shore to the ship. She said as the tender operator tried to come along side the ship he kept bumping the ship/platform, but was not able to connect in a way they could off load the passengers. She said as they bobbed in the water and kept trying to connect with the ship the anxiety level rose.

After several tries the operator decided to go back to shore and get a 2-level tender to give them a better chance of reaching the platform. It was not bad enough they had to make the trip once, but, now they had to get on another boat and try again. They were told to don their life jackets. She said the life vests were in bad shape. That is something the cruise lines need to discuss with the tender operator.

She said one passenger did not want to get on the bigger tender and try again. I am not sure how she thought she would get back to the ship. But, they finally convinced her to board. Others were crying and many had anxiety. She told me she was sure she was going to die.

The ride back out was rough and the exchange from the tender to the ship was difficult. The ship greeted them with warm towels, since they were drenched by this time.

She stated she would never ride another tender. All made it back without physical injury. The Equinox delivered each of them a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. It was a nice gesture—but, I bet they will never forget that ride.

Agree...Labadee was pretty cool when the ships used to tender there. In fact where the hard

dock is now, used to be a nice little beach with good snorkeling.

Now we try to avoid itineraries that go to Labadee.

BTW: Keep in mind Labadee is NOT an island, but is instead a point of leased land on the north coast of the country of Haiti.

We try to avoid it also. Except on 8 night itineraries I look at Labadee as a trade off for an extra day on the cruise.

We missed Labadee on Freedom because of weather and no tendering would have been involved.