why is guest services line so long?

jdemps

I've only been on 5 cruises but I have never visited guest services. What are some reasons you go there to make the line so dang long? I don't understand getting FTTF just for the GS line cutting. Am I missing out on something that I should be asking for? Fear of missing out....lolol

I got in the long line once to ask about a sweater/jacket that I believed I kept on tender boat. Never did get it back.

I also ended up buying FTTF for all future cruises. In a perfect cruise world they'd have enough staff onboard for all stations. And I would think Guest Services would be a top priority for staffing. But, it isn't, and so I pay the extra cost. I don't drink anymore, so it's just another way Carnival can make some more xtra cash off me. ;):D:D

I been twice because we could figure out how we had another credit on our account and to add money because the kiosk was out of order.

I get FTTF for being able to board sooner because we stay in the hotel the night before and so we can get off sooner and get on the road because we have a 7 hr drive home.

I've been a few times. Once to swap keys, once to put a limit on the kid's spending and once to ask for earlier departure luggage tags. I try not to make it a habit of hanging out there.

My cabin key didn't work, lost my sunglasses, got charged erroneously for drinks and BB, wanted to cash out my account (couldn't be done via kiosk), got way overcharged for an arcade game that wasn't registering correctly at $2 a pop, get extra keys, I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them right now. I can say that I have never been in line to remove gratuities!

I have visited guest services a few times. While I don’t intentionally try it is oftendifficult to not over hear other guest. Some of the reasons:

Removing tips----The young men that wanted to know if theycould just not have the room steward clean to save on tips. Or the lady that couldn’t accept her 2 ½ yearold would be charged tips. She justcouldn’t grasp that the rule was children UNDER two as in not having reachedthe second birthday.

Billing disputes or adding money to your account—Surprise, those drinks on the first day werenot free, or charged for laundry and not realize there was a credit or there wasn’ta credit or seeing a the steakhouse charge on both folios.

Lost luggage, New keycards, lost and found, Getting extra luggage tags.

There always seems to be the request or two for an upgradeand others that are not happy with their location.

My cabin key didn't work, lost my sunglasses, got charged erroneously for drinks and BB, wanted to cash out my account (couldn't be done via kiosk), got way overcharged for an arcade game that wasn't registering correctly at $2 a pop, get extra keys, I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them right now. I can say that I have never been in line to remove gratuities!

So you're THAT person always clogging up the GS line, eh FBW?? ;)

LOL! The only FOMO I get is not being on the ship period.

I get FTTF because my gf cannot stand waiting so the extra cost is worse a little less stress on her.

One cool thing about FTTF is you get your own GS number as well... so you could just call down and avoid any lines.

This was helpful when I had to reschedule a cake after not eating dinner in the MDR and getting it sent to the room instead.

I had to go to GS on my first cruise because I didn't exactly understand the gratuity system and was handing out cash tips to everyone. Servers in the MDR, Cabin Steward and their helper etc. I just asked that they adjust them for the people I had been giving cash tips to. That is pretty much the only time I have been down there. Before ANYONE jumps on me about the gratuities I didn't research it enough on my 1st cruise AND I have them prepaid now ;)

on our first cruise, a 7-day, we were there several times just to ask dumb newbie questions, see about our account, add money, etc... We also went there for priority tenders. We also went to get a free pack of Carnival branded playing cards (we will do that every time now). We had FTTF for that cruise and almost every time we walked right up and handled our transaction and left while the regular line was long and complainy.

Our second cruise was a 3 day with no tender ports so we didn't get FTTF that time and only went to GS once to get our decks of cards. Went at an off-peak time so no line.

Our next is an 8-day and we got FTTF for it because I want to try and get on board much earlier than we did the other 2 times. I feel like I'm missing out on part of my cruise when I get on and almost immediately have to go to muster drill. I wanna find booze and food first this time! lol

On our cruise last week on the Splendor, the priority line was also slow. We got behind four people that had a total of sixteen people travelling with them, and they wanted to use gift cards for their gratuities but they ran into problems. They only had one person working priority and they were held up for over 20 minutes. It would have been faster to use the regular line (which had three people working).

Beyond passengers on the first day depositing cash or gift cards to their account or verifying that cruise cash or OBC was applied correctly, Murphy's Law comes into play. When a problem or change on board occurs it tends to affect many, like one cruise for some reason they posted a $16 charge to everyone's folio, that should of been a $16 OBC for a change in port fees, so that sent many down to CS to complaint about a mystery charge, even though several announcements were made that they were aware of the fact after the first few reports. Or sometimes a computer cashier register has a glitch causing double or triple charges to all that made a purchase processed through that terminal. After port days many passengers return only to find something was lost between packing up at the beach/excursion/shopping trip, going through security, and getting unpacked in their cabin, so they then go to CS to file a lost and found claim. Or when there is a port schedule change and shore excursions is not open passengers will flock to CS to make sure they are getting their refund or get issued tickets with a different tour time.

I've used Guest Services two times in all of my Carnival cruises. Once we were traveling with our 20-something children. They had an inside cabin and DW and I had a balcony cabin. We wanted extra keys made for our children to use so that they could get into our room and enjoy the balcony. The second time was to book an excursion when the excursions desk was closed. Lucky for me, the GS line was not long at all either time and I walked right up.

My DH lost a S&S card in the hot tub. Another time we switched one of our kids to bunk with Grandma. Another time we had a complaint about something (no employee showed up for an event). We also would increase tips to someone (room steward). Unless it is an emergency, we would usually wait for the line to go down (yes, early in the day, or late in the day) to do what we needed to do.

And for the person who said they were handing out cash tips-that is the way it used to be. Our first 3 or 4 cruises were like that, and it was a nice feeling to actually give your tips to the waiter/steward, etc. I understand why they changed it. We had to make sure we kept enough cash to hand out at the end, and I am quite sure some people didn't have ANY cash left at the end of the trip!

In any case, you are not "missing something." Be happy that you don't have to go and stand in line!

I've been many times on different cruises....being charged TWICE on the last cruise for a beer they no longer carried. Had to get charges reversed. I was a bit put out by that one. The waiter said we no longer carry that one. Wouldn't you as a waiter just reverse any charge you'd charged the customer upon finding out you no longer had that beer? But to charge the customer twice? Sometimes I wonder if they try to charge you to see if you'll notice. Getting information, cashing out...just depends. But the whole removing tips thing is a no no!

I wish I had a picture of this. But on our September Liberty cruise there were 1300 passengers on a Southern Soul Cruise. Over 1000 of those passengers stood in that line. All to remove tips. I kid you not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums