Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should too!

RCCL's new policy for onboard bookings of suites is why I'm leaving. Their new NO-REFUND policy is not just nor fair. If you're thinking this will not affect you, you are wrong. How long do you think it will be before ALL deposits become nonrefundable?

Why only Grand Suites and above? All lines receive booking cancellations before final payment and/or sail date. We book our cruises way in advance in order to save for them, we are not hogging anything; we did not receive any OBC on the current cruise; and we did not receive any reduced deposit. The only difference was making a reservation while on board, I don't know if reservations through a TA are any different. Maybe RCCL should go after the huge group booking companies and not the average cruiser trying to plan ahead.

If you think you're okay because you don't/haven't book suites, it's probably only a matter of time before this policy goes across the board. RCCL is attempting to do to cruises what the airlines did to flying. Shame on you RCCL, I hope this policy comes back and bites you. Either way, you've lost my business forever.

$7.95?????

That's insane!!! I can't believe it! No way am I paying a $7.95 service charge for that!

:')

Ok. We're warned, but don't be sailing on them again and just slide back in here like your never left.

Hmmm, well I always understood that my deposit, regardless of category booked was non-refundable. Perhaps this has changed but it seems fair to me. We are getting an incentive to book on board in the form of OBC,so while it is a risk, it's a risk you need to be willing to take in order to get the bonus. If you don't want that risk, don't book on board. Plain and simple!

Oh, and I really don't need anyone telling me that I should leave RCCL. It's fine that you want to, but no need to tell others.

We've had non refundable deposits in the U.K. all the time we've cruised - welcome to our world!

Too many people booking suites early and cancelling late is the problem meaning Royal have to offer cheap deals late on.

You may not be hogging them but plenty others do. As someone who sails in GS but doesn't book onboard for several reasons - the main one being we book through Club Royale - I'm glad they are doing this. I'm tired of scavenging for GS and sometimes having to book JS and wait for final payment for the GS to get released. Obviously it's an issue and Royal is trying to do something about it.

We booked another GS last week while on Liberty, love the perks and will continue as long as we can afford them. Prices for some are pretty cheap considering size and perks, bigger ships are 1k more per person.

That's your reason. I can think of more reasons than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I highly doubt that since you've been on exactly 1 RCCL cruise and that was 9 years ago. In any case, I'm glad that you have found a couple of lines that you do like and can't find any reasons at all to not book with them.

Hi George C- will you do a post about your Liberty cruise? Wondering if the outside area of the SL is open and who the current concierge is?

Will post a small review soon, outside area is open in SL, best news is they moved pool seating from top of deck 12 to tiered section by main pool like Navigator. Really disliked concierge he screwed up disembarkation we left after group 3 and waited in long lines , sent a complaint e-mail on this, name was Jorge , last year concierge is in diamond lounge

So, everyone should cut off their nose to spite their face like you have? The plastic surgery industry will appreciate the surge in business reattaching those noses after reality (and reason) sets in.

If the revised policy of onboard booking of suites means the trade off is a lost deposit if cancelled, where's the dastardly evil shame in a business changing its policy to minimize its losses and maximize its profits? If you believe with any scintilla of chance you will need to cancel, you can either not book on board in the first place or purchase insurance to cover what you possibly may lose. Weighing ones options is a smart consumer decision.

While clearly your choice to abandon a cruise line for whatever reason you like, this one ranks right up there with the $7.95 room service fee. For some, it's a deal breaker - and this one is yours.

I hope you are able to experience the same passion and enjoyment on another line that you did with Royal... until they make a policy change you don't agree with and then you have to do it all over again.

I highly doubt that since you've been on exactly 1 RCCL cruise and that was 9 years ago. In any case, I'm glad that you have found a couple of lines that you do like and can't find any reasons at all to not book with them.

Probably worded that wrong. Meant to say there are probably better reason not to book than non refundable deposits. I liked RCI Ok. Always check them when I look for bookings but always find better deals or itineraries elsewhere. My biggest reason for not booking RCI is they hardly have any cruise over 7 days. Unless you do a back to back. We like to look for 9-12 day cruises. The shortest we have been booking on Carnival is 8. We have booked 3 Princess cruises each were 10 days.

All the cruise lines we have been on have been great. There are things on some we like and things we don't like as much. I think all the major cruise lines would be great. There is a lot of competition and they all need to excel not only against each other but against Land vacations. I can't think of anything that would be so bad that I would never cruise a certain line. I want to try that new MSC ships. Also the New NCL ships. Haven't been on either yet.

Probably worded that wrong. Meant to say there are probably better reason not to book than non refundable deposits. I liked RCI Ok. Always check them when I look for bookings but always find better deals or itineraries elsewhere. My biggest reason for not booking RCI is they hardly have any cruise over 7 days. Unless you do a back to back. We like to look for 9-12 day cruises. The shortest we have been booking on Carnival is 8. We have booked 3 Princess cruises each were 10 days.

True, there aren't a lot of options in the Caribbean (if that's what you're looking for) that are longer than 7 days. Maybe check on Celebrity. They have a ton of cruises over 7 days.

True, there aren't a lot of options in the Caribbean (if that's what you're looking for) that are longer than 7 days. Maybe check on Celebrity. They have a ton of cruises over 7 days.

Hal normally has 10/11 day Caribbean cruise, Would also check Princess

I hope a LOT more people who are upset about the potential loss of their deposits leave.

Given how prices work, it will lower the price of GSs before the final payment date that we may be able to book one. Instead of hoping that some open up after that date.

Between the passengers that book them and TA's that book them- seems like some of the best cabins are never affordable until possibly after final payment. Sometimes.

Please, go. Help some of us out.

This is a NEW change. I've booked many cruises in the past, I started with an inside room and worked my way up to a suite. So all you green-with-envy-types are being ridiculous. I've never, NEVER, booked a cruise where the deposit was non-refundable whether booked onboard or through a TA. FYI-- I booked this suite onboard with NO reduction in deposit or OBC on the booking cruise, so that means I paid $900 to book a cruise a year plus out, one that I will have to save for! I work hard for my money, and don't go around with my nose up in the air bragging I'm "Diamond, Diamond Plus, Pinnacle," etc. and I'm NOT a crybaby. This policy is UNFAIR to people like me who like to plan and save for their vacations! I don't have $900 to throw away, do YOU??? And this ONLY applies to those bookings made onboard and not through a TA as I've just learned. So lesson learned, NEVER book RCCL onboard if you want a Grand Suite or better; or just don't book at all, as is my choice. Plenty of other lines out there that DON"T have this policy.

Also, I DO NOT care if there is already a topic thread, I didn't see it and it didn't come up during a topic search--I checked! God knows how many times other mundane topics such as formal nights and such have generated over the years! Please forgive me all you holier-than-thou's and have a nice day.