Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should too!

Disney cruise line changed to the non-refundable suite deposit a few years ago. Whether booking while you are on land or on the ship. Not a new concept and the reason was because of the people hoarding the suites then cancelling last minute driving pricing up and locking others from booking suites. However they do allow date changes if done before the final payment due date.

~ HaHaHa ~ This is to fun to pass up ! ~ So let me get this straight ! Because you booked a cruise / and instead of just moving your deposit to another date . Your going to free up a cabin for someone else ~ Thanks Cruise Genie Fairy ~ We got upgraded to a GS on a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas , because someone booked so far in advance , then when it came time to pay .. they bailed .. And we got a automatic upgrade!

Thanks

:)

Hi George C- will you do a post about your Liberty cruise? Wondering if the outside area of the SL is open and who the current concierge is?

There are whole threads on CC on Liberty. One is called All Things Liberty. Both the SL and DL have outside areas open.

You can assign the cruise to a TA, but you still will not receive a refund if you must cancel. Since this ONLY applies to cruises booked onboard, assigning it to a TA after the cruise does not change the nonrefundable policy. I've already assigned to cruise to a TA, but there is no change in the policy. If I booked it with the TA, the original refund policies are still in place....this change ONLY applies to onboard bookings.

Ok. Thanks. I was worried there for a bit. Personally, if they applied to JS and up, would be much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

~ HaHaHa ~ This is to fun to pass up ! ~ So let me get this straight ! Because you booked a cruise / and instead of just moving your deposit to another date . Your going to free up a cabin for someone else ~ Thanks Cruise Genie Fairy ~ We got upgraded to a GS on a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas , because someone booked so far in advance , then when it came time to pay .. they bailed .. And we got a automatic upgrade!

Thanks

:)

I guess it works to a favorable result for some. Lol

RCCL's new policy for onboard bookings of suites is why I'm leaving. Their new NO-REFUND policy is not just nor fair. If you're thinking this will not affect you, you are wrong. How long do you think it will be before ALL deposits become nonrefundable?

Why only Grand Suites and above? All lines receive booking cancellations before final payment and/or sail date. We book our cruises way in advance in order to save for them, we are not hogging anything; we did not receive any OBC on the current cruise; and we did not receive any reduced deposit. The only difference was making a reservation while on board, I don't know if reservations through a TA are any different. Maybe RCCL should go after the huge group booking companies and not the average cruiser trying to plan ahead.

If you think you're okay because you don't/haven't book suites, it's probably only a matter of time before this policy goes across the board. RCCL is attempting to do to cruises what the airlines did to flying. Shame on you RCCL, I hope this policy comes back and bites you. Either way, you've lost my business forever.

Yet another post from a Wharton graduate!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good news, here in the UK we don't have refundable deposits anyway but if it means that it is easier to book a suite then I am happy. We love cruising in a suite but rarely manage to book one as they've been reserved and then freed up when people pull out.

OP makes a point; sooner or later this will impact all of us. Why so many people make conscious decisions as adults to act like school aged bullies is beyond me. This thread really brought out the most obnoxious, shameful behavior in so many. And for no good reason. I guess the entitled generation have not been taught empathy.

OP makes a point; sooner or later this will impact all of us. Why so many people make conscious decisions as adults to act like school aged bullies is beyond me. This thread really brought out the most obnoxious, shameful behavior in so many. And for no good reason. I guess the entitled generation have not been taught empathy.

Who is being a bully? I think this is a good policy and should apply to JS as well. We have seen a ship booked solid in Suites to only open up after final payment. It is a problem for some of us.

I don't know to what generation you're referring, but I've seen people on CC from all generations be bullies, so rude behavior is not limited to one sub-set of people. :)

Hmmm, well I always understood that my deposit, regardless of category booked was non-refundable. Perhaps this has changed but it seems fair to me. We are getting an incentive to book on board in the form of OBC,so while it is a risk, it's a risk you need to be willing to take in order to get the bonus. If you don't want that risk, don't book on board. Plain and simple!

Oh, and I really don't need anyone telling me that I should leave RCCL. It's fine that you want to, but no need to tell others.

To clarify, you don't get your deposit that you paid while booking your next cruise on board because you already received (spent) OBC for your current cruise, correct? If you book on board and choose to use your OBC for your future cruise, then you would get your refund back if cancelled before the cancellation expiration dates, correct?

RCCL's new policy for onboard bookings of suites is why I'm leaving. Their new NO-REFUND policy is not just nor fair. If you're thinking this will not affect you, you are wrong. How long do you think it will be before ALL deposits become nonrefundable?

Why only Grand Suites and above? All lines receive booking cancellations before final payment and/or sail date. We book our cruises way in advance in order to save for them, we are not hogging anything; we did not receive any OBC on the current cruise; and we did not receive any reduced deposit. The only difference was making a reservation while on board, I don't know if reservations through a TA are any different. Maybe RCCL should go after the huge group booking companies and not the average cruiser trying to plan ahead.

If you think you're okay because you don't/haven't book suites, it's probably only a matter of time before this policy goes across the board. RCCL is attempting to do to cruises what the airlines did to flying. Shame on you RCCL, I hope this policy comes back and bites you. Either way, you've lost my business forever.

Perhaps the reason why you do not get your deposit back is because you already received and spent the OBC (which is equal to your deposit) when you booked your next cruise while on board.

Yet another post from a Wharton graduate!

Now, that was a very rude comment. All it shows is that you wish you were smart enough to go to such a fine school with very smart people....who just may become the President of our country to make it great again!

Empathy for what? That they have to pay a non-refundable deposit?

Big deal. Especially when the only special ones who had that ability are US customers- as the REST of the world can not do that. Isn't complaining about it not being empathetic to the rest of the world?

Some of us have the potential to benefit from this new system. So it's hard to feel sorry for someone who is complaining about it.

It's not being a bully to call people names because they DON'T follow you? Really?

So it's empathy if you agree, obnoxious if you don't. Even if not agreeing applies to most of the world.

How is this generation you speak of NOT entitled?? Really;

Who is being a bully? I think this is a good policy and should apply to JS as well. We have seen a ship booked solid in Suites to only open up after final payment. It is a problem for some of us.

Many other responses to the OP are just downright nasty. These are people who can't act civil, or just feel tough behind a keyboard. OP raised a very valid point. Anyone may disagree or simply not care. But the attitude that pervades here is why CC has just a bad reputation.

Perhaps the reason why you do not get your deposit back is because you already received and spent the OBC (which is equal to your deposit) when you booked your next cruise while on board.

OP said they didn't get OBC on their current cruise. Still unclear if they got some on the future cruise, assume they did.

There is a new RCI policy that you can choose Refundable Cruises and Non-Refundable. Non-Refundable will have OBC and a lower price. See: http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/LTYA_News/17056802_Nonrefundable_Overview_News.pdf

If they keep the two types of booking methods, we would probably opt for the Refundable because flexibility is the most important thing to us.

This policy is UNFAIR to people like me who like to plan and save for their vacations! I don't have $900 to throw away, do YOU??? .

If I can't afford to lose the deposit regardless of how much it is, I don't book. Never have. Furthermore I pretty much never book on board since I am unable to guarantee Mr Spook being able to take time off that far out.

And yes, we only book suites

Well Bye.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin