opinions of those who have tried the new princess luxury beds

tommy47

Just off the Ruby where I had a vista suite. I had back problems every morning, much more intense than I do at home on my firm mattress. The "Luxury Bed" on the Ruby was just too soft. Glad I brought my pain meds for just this type of thing. (I've had lower back problems for 25 years).

New mattresses are fine. No back pains like I experienced on the old hard beds.

What is horrible is the comforter wrapped in a bottom and top sheet instead of a duvet.Once in bed those sheets separate and you wind up with a exposed comforter. Wouldn't be bad but they don't change those comforters between passengers. If you ask you may be told they change them. After several Back to back cruises, I have never seen comforters with the dirty sheets and towels coming out of the cabins . No wonder there is respiratory germs floating around on the ships.We just completed a B2B on the Coral and I know for sure no clean comforters between cruises.

My back is ugly. It's been quite bad for a long time. I sleep on a fairly hard mattress at home as a squishy mattress would leave me totally broken. This fall we did 28 days on Emerald Princess and I slept great on the new bed. (Of course I also had the beverage package which might have helped a bit. ;p)

I should have said we both slept GREAT on board which is why we are considering one for home. I don't have back problems except at home, and sometimes my arms fall asleep. I just wonder if people who have them at home can give me some feedback about what we'd like to do (king size on a platform bed). I stay in hotels every six weeks or so and I sleep better there too. I hate my bed.

What is horrible is the comforter wrapped in a bottom and top sheet instead of a duvet.Once in bed those sheets separate and you wind up with a exposed comforter. Wouldn't be bad but they don't change those comforters between passengers. If you ask you may be told they change them. After several Back to back cruises, I have never seen comforters with the dirty sheets and towels coming out of the cabins . No wonder there is respiratory germs floating around on the ships.We just completed a B2B on the Coral and I know for sure no clean comforters between cruises.

Yep, yep, yep. It’s pretty bad. We never once woke up without skin touching the comforter. I’ve hated the new bedding from the day it was first introduced on the Emerald Princess. We finally hit on a solution this year...the steward doesn’t turn down the comforter topper, we ask for a clean blanket, and we sleep on top all the bedding covered by the blanket, which is not tucked in. Every three days, instead of changing our sheets, we just get clean pillowcases and a comforter topper. Once a week or so we get a clean blanket. We slept much more comfortably that way, and it felt cleaner.

And don’t get me started on the shower curtains that hugged someone else’s bottom on embarkation day morning and mine that night.

Yep, yep, yep. It’s pretty bad. We never once woke up without skin touching the comforter. I’ve hated the new bedding from the day it was first introduced on the Emerald Princess. We finally hit on a solution this year...the steward doesn’t turn down the comforter topper, we ask for a clean blanket, and we sleep on top all the bedding covered by the blanket, which is not tucked in. Every three days, instead of changing our sheets, we just get clean pillowcases and a comforter topper. Once a week or so we get a clean blanket. We slept much more comfortably that way, and it felt cleaner.

And don’t get me started on the shower curtains that hugged someone else’s bottom on embarkation day morning and mine that night.

Ewee...wish you hadn't mentioned the shower curtain. :eek: On the other hand, it is a good reminder. I know I'm off topic, but it is related to comfort. Years ago I watched a news magazine show that swabbed a hotel room after a man with the flu and been in the room overnight. I believe they checked for germs before and after the room attendant and cleaned. Ever since I travel with a small spray bottle of OdoBan and some Clorox wipes. When I walk into the hotel room or cabin I spray or wipe pretty much everything in the bathroom (I'm going to get that shower curtain even better next time) and spray all of the door handles, phone, remotes, and fabrics that are not changed. I usually spray again in between because I don't think the rags used in the cabin next door are changed before entering our cabin. I'm heading off now to prepare my cleaning kit for our next trip.

Y'all can make fun of me now. I can take it. I'll just spray some OdoBan on the screen. :rolleyes:;) :)

Yikes, the thought of the comforters not being washed between cruises has me considering alternatives. I found an amazing product called a sleep sack on Amazon and I'm going to test it out. Since we travel a great deal I will use it in hotel rooms as well. It received some good reviews. There are many different sacks to choose from. I searched under sleep sacks travel sheets.

We thought they were great. My husband also has back issues and is currently recovering from his back surgery (L4/L5 fusion w/plate). That being said, we have foam mattresses at home because my back couldn't handle conventional mattresses. Good luck finding the right one for you!

The mattresses were awesome, very comfortable. The duvet is a bit heavy for me so we had our steward switch out the inner layer with a blanket and were perfectly comfortable. The pillows are a big too big for me but I always bring my own and slept very well.

With a bit of homework, you can find out the manufacture of the mattress and buy a very similar model without paying for the Princess name. The same manufacturer produces mattresses under several brand names.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had the new mattress on our last cruise on the Ruby. All I can say is wow! They were so comfortable even more than my bed at home. I don't know how they will hold up so that we will see but a humongous improvement over what we have had before.

With a bit of homework, you can find out the manufacture of the mattress and buy a very similar model without paying for the Princess name. The same manufacturer produces mattresses under several brand names.

Thank you for this advice. I did some hunting around as you suggested, and we are going to visit a local store later for a test rest. :D I haven't had a good night's sleep since December. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Furthering the issue, we had three different cabins over 80 days on the Golden Princess and the mattresses in two of them were already starting to break down on the sides. In one cabin, we had to turn my mattress around so it rolled me toward the wall instead of off the bed.

Just off the CB and we felt that the mattress was already showing signs of "wear in". Mattress was definitely softer in the area where you typically lay and then firmer near the edges, except for where you would sit on the side of the mattress while getting in or out, or putting on socks, shoes, etc. I found the firmest area of the mattress to be right in the middle where the two mattresses meet. We loved the firmer mattresses of the past on Princess, not so impressed with these mushier mattresses.

Furthering the issue, we had three different cabins over 80 days on the Golden Princess and the mattresses in two of them were already starting to break down on the sides. In one cabin, we had to turn my mattress around so it rolled me toward the wall instead of off the bed.

Do you think that. maybe, they took the lowest bid for the new mattresses?

• 2 months later...
Just off the CB and we felt that the mattress was already showing signs of "wear in". Mattress was definitely softer in the area where you typically lay and then firmer near the edges, except for where you would sit on the side of the mattress while getting in or out, or putting on socks, shoes, etc. I found the firmest area of the mattress to be right in the middle where the two mattresses meet. We loved the firmer mattresses of the past on Princess, not so impressed with these mushier mattresses.

We were just on the Emerald Princess for the 28 day South Pacific Round Trip out of LA and I would give the exact same review of our bed as above.

Just off the Royal and traveled in a suite, so I assume we had one of these beds. Not great. We both have gimpy lower backs and the bed did not provide adequate support. It was more squishy than I would have liked. Had some back pain on a few mornings.

First, PLEASE GET THE NEW MATTRESSES ON THE REGAL BEFORE WE BOARD!!!!The old mattresses/beds are just torture.

Having said that: I might recommend that any Mattress Shoppers look into the BeautyRest BLACK mattresses.They can be very very firm, with varying amounts of padding.

I would suggest one without the extra padding, and add a thin real latex (not cheap foam or memory foam) topper.

We have had ours for a quite a while, and there has been no break-in or break-down.

DH can toss and turn, or get up very early, and I don't even feel it.

Still impressed.

We did have a brand new Princess bed on our last Princess Cruise.... It was good. But, it was still like brand new onboard.

• 1 month later...

It would be helpful to the community if you gave the manufacture names as I asume you already did the homework/research. Rather than all of use researching what you already did.

Thanks

Just off the CB and we felt that the mattress was already showing signs of "wear in". .

Clara Peller asked: "Where's the Beef?"

It's walking around on cruise ships.

Given the size of many cruisers it's obvious the mattresses get beaten down cruise after cruise after cruise.

For the original poster (even though this is a really old thread) --- I don't think anyone can tell you if the princess mattress would be good for you.

It's too personal.

Lots of hotel chains have the same thing -- you can sleep on the mattress in their hotel, and if you really like it you can order one.

A lot cheaper to try that way, than on a cruise...

May she rest in peace.

Clara_Peller_publicity_headshot.jpg

It would be helpful to the community if you gave the manufacture names as I asume you already did the homework/research. Rather than all of use researching what you already did.

Thanks

The answer can be found right on the FAQ page for the mattress, under the topic "Is there a warranty or guarantee?"

Here's the link: https://www.princessluxurybed.com/princess-mattress-faq/