Premier Beverage Package

Colo Cruiser

It sure sounds like they are trying to match Celebrity's Premium package, which is $65 pp/pd for drinks up to $13.00 (Celebrity drinks are more expensive overall), however they are not taking into account that Celebrity has two lower tiers. One is for well-liquor drinks and is $45 pp/pd and the other is for mid level liquor drinks for $55 pp/pd.

They just seem to be jacking prices up for things, yet reducing perks and benefits all over the place too.

It frankly has me feeling rather disgruntled.

I assume that there are soda options that are only available in cans. IMO it is odd to have a Premium drink prices that restricts certain soda options and large bottles of water. If Princess does not have the soda available in the fountain than they should at least open a can and pour it.

I have found the drink prices on Princess to be lower than most cruise lines. As mentioned above it would appear that Princes is moving more in the direction of Celebrity with higher prices for drinks and the drink packages.

I would guess that Princess may be planning to introduce a lesser beverage package. Since this one is now the Premier Beverage Package perhaps they will introduce a "Peon Beverage Package" or something that costs less and only includes the nasty drinks they give away at the welcome back party. Obviously I'm not serious about that but naming this one "Premier" does leave them open for some lesser package.

i'm interested to see how the individual drink prices go up. if the cost of covered drinks is going up, i guess the costs of drinks in general is bumping up. and whether the ability to bring on water/soda/wine/corkage will also change soon.

i quite liked the the celebrity tier of drink package that was all noon-alcoholic. i had all the coffee and bottled water i could drink, i got my money's worth. i wish princess would adapt something similar. the soda package doesn't cut it for me.

i did get some coffee cards for my upcoming cruise.

I would guess that Princess may be planning to introduce a lesser beverage package. Since this one is now the Premier Beverage Package perhaps they will introduce a "Peon Beverage Package" or something that costs less and only includes the nasty drinks they give away at the welcome back party. Obviously I'm not serious about that but naming this one "Premier" does leave them open for some lesser package.

As long as the "Peon Beverage Package" includes Dos Equis, I would buy it for my DH.:D I understand that the ship needs to make a profit, but $25.00 for five beers? I could buy two 12 packs for that price.

I'll report back but would create a new thread with the information.

I don't know where your Civitavecchia enoteca is located but we've purchased our wine several times at the Elite Supermercati (Via C. Calisse, 61/61a/61b/65a) which had good selection & prices and is about a 1/2 mile walk from the port's entrance by the old fort.

http://www.superelite.it/punti-vendita/item/19-civitavecchia-via-c-calisse-61-61a-61b-65a.html

Hopefully corkage remains at $15 and drink gratuity at 15%.

We usually get the Gold package with wines near or slightly above the $45 limit. Several of those are out of stock so we may purchase the less expensive Silver package instead.

Will be looking for your report from your trip next month.

Thanks for the info on the Superelite. Our enoteca is Enoteca Cavacini, Via Gorizia 2.

We also buy the Gold package. Am now thinking instead of carting on a whole case at embarkation, we will just bring on a few bottles from each port of call...much easier to manage. They will either charge corkage when we re-board or "catch" us in the MDR, doesn't matter as long as it stays at $15 ;p.

Will be looking for your report from your trip next month.

Thanks for the info on the Superelite. Our enoteca is Enoteca Cavacini, Via Gorizia 2.

We also buy the Gold package. Am now thinking instead of carting on a whole case at embarkation, we will just bring on a few bottles from each port of call...much easier to manage. They will either charge corkage when we re-board or "catch" us in the MDR, doesn't matter as long as it stays at $15 ;p.

Grazie...the enoteca is half the distance & have bookmarked the location for :wine-glass:

We feel the same about bringing wine onboard to enjoy a bottle in the MDR...we either pay the corkage fee sooner or later to enjoy our favorite Italian wines that are not available on the ship. :)

Grazie...the enoteca is half the distance & have bookmarked the location for :wine-glass:

We feel the same about bringing wine onboard to enjoy a bottle in the MDR...we either pay the corkage fee sooner or later to enjoy our favorite Italian wines that are not available on the ship. :)

Prego and salute! :champagne-toast:

What I don't understand is if that was their intent, why not roll them both out at the same time and transfer the already booked AIBP to the lower tear ($10 or less) with the option to purchase up. I purchased the AIBP on Sept.19th and sure hope they honor the new "Premium" pricing since from what I see all the Princess Cellars wines have gone up quit a bit.:(

I think you are right. I have experience with the drink package on Celebrity and under the previous AIBP, it was a better deal than the Celebrity classic package because many of the premium alcohol options on the Princess AIBP were only to be found on the Premium package on Celebrity so you had to upgrade to get what the AIBP was providing at a lower cost. So, the Princess package was a better package at a more reasonable price. With the change of the package and naming it Premier, I have no doubt that Princess is going to go to something similar to what Celebrity has which is unfortunate. If you want the premium alcohol options, you will have to pay more now. I am surprised though that they have taken canned soda and the 1 liter bottled water out of the new package and are making us pay more since they make a pretty good profit on those to begin with.

We have the AIBP given to us by our TA for our January 2019 Regal cruise and I didn't have to pay for the drink packages on my Celebrity cruise but I doubt I would pay for the new package now.

As long as the "Peon Beverage Package" includes Dos Equis, I would buy it for my DH.:D I understand that the ship needs to make a profit, but $25.00 for five beers? I could buy two 12 packs for that price.

Try buying decent beer in Canada or Alaska. We just did a 7 week camping trip through parts of Canada and Alaska. Decent beer in Canada ran $18 a six pack. In Alaska that went down to around $16 a six pack but that was in US dollars so it was really about the same to us as Canada was. For some reason though we still bought tons of beer. ;p

Exclusions and Limitations:

Please note that there are some exclusions from the Premier Beverage Package: Spirits or bottled wine or any items offered in retail venues or shops on board. Beverages offered via self-service or vending machines. Souvenir glassware is excluded but is available for the additional charge of the glass only. 

The Premier Beverage Package cannot be combined with other programs, promotions, onboard specials, or events, such as: group or charter events, room service items, minibar items, special or private events such as cocktail parties, wedding receptions or similar functions, wine tastings, chefs tables, buckets of beer, buy one get one type offers, specialty dining cover charges, food items for sale such as ice-cream etc.

I guess this means no more Gelato included on the Regal & Royal?

I presume that the reason they are limiting the package to 15 drinks a day is to stop those who use one account to order drinks for friends and family otherwise I can't see how the package is good value unless you are an alcoholic or never intend leaving the ship for the entirety of your cruise.

They should scrap the whole thing and start selling drinks are reasonable prices, that way everyone is a winner. No cheating, Princess make a profit and you probably find that those that were on an AI package drink less and those that weren't probably drink more so it all evens out.

So any AIBP already purchased, gifted, or part of a promotion now reverts to the new terms of the Premium Beverage Package. Way to go Princess. You have now joined the ranks of those ethically challenged businesses that practice bait and switch tactics.

We have six cruises booked with Princess for the future, (at least until I decide if another cruise line has a comparable cruise or not). All of those Princess cruises have the AIBP. We have purchased the AIBP for convenience. It never has actually saved us any money considering our drinking habits.

For any of those Princess cruises that I do not cancel we will make adjustments to our past practices. For example:

We will send the waiters on multiple trips to the bar for glasses of wine instead pouring our own from a bottle we purchased under the AIBP. If drink service is slower it will be noted on post cruise surveys.

I will substitute glasses of Gentleman Jack and coke for the canned cokes I used to drink.

We will each board ship with a bottle of wine purchased on shore.

We will board ship with canned cokes purchased on shore.

We will carry glasses of wine back to our cabin at the end of the evening for our nightcap rather than buy a bottle for the cabin.

Each post cruise survey will contain comments about bait and switch tactics being used on guests.

I wonder------since all AIBP's bought and paid for in the past for upcoming cruises are now subject to the new Premium package terms does that mean if I cancel those AIBP's I will get refunded under the new Premium package prices?????

No longer a happy Princess Elite Level Cruiser.

So any AIBP already purchased, gifted, or part of a promotion now reverts to the new terms of the Premium Beverage Package. Way to go Princess. You have now joined the ranks of those ethically challenged businesses that practice bait and switch tactics.

We have six cruises booked with Princess for the future, (at least until I decide if another cruise line has a comparable cruise or not). All of those Princess cruises have the AIBP. We have purchased the AIBP for convenience. It never has actually saved us any money considering our drinking habits.

For any of those Princess cruises that I do not cancel we will make adjustments to our past practices. For example:

We will send the waiters on multiple trips to the bar for glasses of wine instead pouring our own from a bottle we purchased under the AIBP. If drink service is slower it will be noted on post cruise surveys.

I will substitute glasses of Gentleman Jack and coke for the canned cokes I used to drink.

We will each board ship with a bottle of wine purchased on shore.

We will board ship with canned cokes purchased on shore.

We will carry glasses of wine back to our cabin at the end of the evening for our nightcap rather than buy a bottle for the cabin.

Each post cruise survey will contain comments about bait and switch tactics being used on guests.

I wonder------since all AIBP's bought and paid for in the past for upcoming cruises are now subject to the new Premium package terms does that mean if I cancel those AIBP's I will get refunded under the new Premium package prices?????

No longer a happy Princess Elite Level Cruiser.

wow.

So...since soda cans are not included, and ginger ale (for example) only comes in cans and not in the fountain guns...what do you think will happen when I go to the bar, flash my card and order a Dark and Stormy, but say to "hold the rum, hold the lemon"???

Yes, I loved that Jack Nicholson moment in 5 Easy Pieces....

I called Princess today; we have the 2016 Sip and Sail for our Cruise this November; they stated that we are under the old AIBP rules. This will be on the Grand November 13-28, 2017....

Wonderful, I booked my Nov. 26 sailing in 2016...so I can still get 40% off my wine and "free" canned ginger ale...like that can in my fridge in case of wild seas. I also booked one for March 2018 so I assume that applies as well. Did not book any with the 2017 promo. As Now, I feel the 3 for free, is a better deal...in fact on our cruise coming up I am traveling with family everyone booked later and ended up getting a price drop besides the 3 for free I figured it out and since we kept the AIPB we are paying about 40 a day pp I thought it was still worth the convenience...also glad we can still treat the table to bottles of wine at 40% off, but if pricing as increased by 10% maybe paying a corkage fee might work better.

Unfortunate for those that booked in 2017.

Edited by land lover

So...since soda cans are not included, and ginger ale (for example) only comes in cans and not in the fountain guns...what do you think will happen when I go to the bar, flash my card and order a Dark and Stormy, but say to "hold the rum, hold the lemon"???

Yes, I loved that Jack Nicholson moment in 5 Easy Pieces....

lol:D Hi Cheryl.......

Wonderful, I booked my Nov. 26 sailing in 2016...so I can still get 40% off my wine and "free" canned ginger ale...like that can in my fridge in case of wild seas. I also booked one for March 2018 so I assume that applies as well. Did not book any with the 2017 promo. As Now, I feel the 3 for free, is a better deal...in fact on our cruise coming up I am traveling with family everyone booked later and ended up getting a price drop besides the 3 for free I figured it out and since we kept the AIPB we are paying about 40 a day pp I thought it was still worth the convenience...also glad we can still treat the table to bottles of wine at 40% off, but if pricing as increased by 10% maybe paying a corkage fee might work better.

Unfortunate for those that booked in 2017.

I think you stopped reading too soon......unfortunately.... :o

Post #54:

I got just the opposite information from my Princess rep - she stated that all packages paid for or under sip and sail regardless of when it was ordered (we have a December cruise this year from the 2016 sip and sail) would revert to the terms and conditions of the new program

I also booked with Sip N Sail in 2016....but I believe what Post #54 states....can't imagine how Princess staff would keep track of 2 different versions.....

Everyone will have the new one... :(