NCL Cruise Service Charge Refund

bussub

I always tip my steward above the DSC if a great job was done, and bring $1 for the bartenders. My dd has special dietary needs, and I always tip the person who deals with them extra.

I used to order $2 dollar bills from the bank before leaving and hand them out as novelty but they were always new and fresh bills that the staff had not seen in general, i think they thought i was giving out counterfeit so now i load up on dollar bills.

Do you really think the staff are getting your dsc handed to them directly?

It goes into a pool...and we have no clue at all where it goes or how it's distributed or how often. It's a negative comment card that is the real danger to crew not someone removing dsc

My take....

Ncl grabs dsc from us

They do whatever they do with it

They give a small bonus check perhaps on a monthly basis based on a prearranged % that is more than likely a minimum agreed upon % via contractual arrangement

Removing dsc isn't hurting anyone because ncl will pay their employees a satisfactory amount or risk losing them

And is your decision

Give cash if you want

Don't concern yourself with crew salary etc.

That's Ncl's responsibility

Crew are not slave labor

They take the jobs willingly

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, what a lot of rationalizing and made up nonsense. Deep down you must really feel guilty about this or you wouldn't be trying so hard to defend yourself or be unwilling to tell us what was so horrible it justified stiffing the crew.

I always tip my steward above the DSC if a great job was done, and bring $1 for the bartenders. My dd has special dietary needs, and I always tip the person who deals with them extra.

Same here.. As for the bartenders I bring a roll or two of those gold (color) $1.00 presidential coins as tips. They seem to get a kick out of them..

• Like 1

Wow, what a lot of rationalizing and made up nonsense. Deep down you must really feel guilty about this or you wouldn't be trying so hard to defend yourself or be unwilling to tell us what was so horrible it justified stiffing the crew.

Um no not at all guilty

And no not at all rationalizing

You joined cc in June 2017 but in reality this topic has been discussed and debated for years and most understand exactly how ncl operates with our dsc

• Thanks 1

Same here.. As for the bartenders I bring a roll or two of those gold (color) $1.00 presidential coins as tips. They seem to get a kick out of them..

I bring $2 dollar bills and make them into cute little origami figures. They seem to get a kick out of them as well

• Like 1

We did complain to guests services about recurring water leakage in the bathroom, so NCL will have a record of our complaints. We didn't know about the option to adjust the service charge until now. Will reducing the service charge affect the salary of the staff? Remember reading somewhere that it may not affect staffs' pay but not sure. Thanks so much.

If you didn't talk directly to the hotel manager you will probably not have any grounds to stand on and to punish the rest of the crew because a problem was not solved is not fair. I don't know how serious the leak was but there is still no way removing the DSC is right, especially actually you get home.

(I have no idea what the OP or anyone else has had to deal with, so this is a general statement)

Unless the people onboard have been given a chance to correct whatever the issue is, then why remove it?

Not right. At all.

As to the person that said they got it back on their CC in a few days - that does not mean NCL dealt with it... they may have just not responded to the CC folks.

They'd also have to delete any thread about smoking, Haven guests getting VIBE passes, sharing the UBP, bottled water, unsupervised children, FDR's salary, ......;)

I have been going back and forth for hours because I dared to ask if I should wait for a call from guest services before I make a reservation to see how they handle it or let them know I want to make a reservation but I'm waiting for guest services. Apparently that's bad and I just want something for free. Add that to the delete topics.

I have been going back and forth for hours because I dared to ask if I should wait for a call from guest services before I make a reservation to see how they handle it or let them know I want to make a reservation but I'm waiting for guest services. Apparently that's bad and I just want something for free. Add that to the delete topics.

Eh, you should just ignore that thread and move on. It's clear not many people understood what you were asking in their haste to jump on you. I understand what it's like to be conflicted about liking a product (cruising) but being put off by the company's actions, and wanting to be smart about how you spend thousands of dollars.

(I have no idea what the OP or anyone else has had to deal with, so this is a general statement)

Unless the people onboard have been given a chance to correct whatever the issue is, then why remove it?

Not right. At all.

As to the person that said they got it back on their CC in a few days - that does not mean NCL dealt with it... they may have just not responded to the CC folks.

I disputed the charge after 6 weeks of waiting. My bank of course refunded me ...then 48 hours later I got the credit from ncl

So for a short timeframe I had 2 credits

1 from my bank (this of course was a temporary credit)

1 from ncl (this of course was the permanent credit)

As soon as the ncl credit came thru my bank notified me the case was closed and that they would be reversing their initial temporary credit

That's how it usually works and that's how it worked this time

So yes....I did get the credit from ncl and they are fully aware that they did give it to me

Oh and I'm booked on another cruise with ncl too....got a great price...got obc added after initial booking when they added it as a perk and the rep couldn't have been nicer to me about it ...just got approved for their credit card too....so nope my account is not flagged and nope I'm not concerned about my steward knowing I removed dsc once either...

I removed it for a valid reason....which ncl totally allows....so I did what ncl suggests

I hope i'm not stepping on a land mine here but if im making a mistake i would like to know.

I usually take a few bucks off the DSC while still onboard and then leave my room steward some good ole USC and usually after a few days onboard i have a fav waiter and leave them some cash.

I can see there may be some problems with that now.? I grasp what everyone says here , to me it seems like the diff between leaving a 15% tip for standard service and/or leaving 18-20% for extra service.

When was the last time you did this on NCL? Depending on your residency, the rules for reducing the daily service charge are a bit different now. If you are from the UK the fare now includes the service charge in the base fare, and you cannot adjust it. If you are from the US you cannot reduce the amount on board, but must pay it and then apply for a partial or full refund after the cruise. The promise the refund in 4 weeks, but I have read that it takes longer.

NCL allows people to reduce the daily service charge, so people will do it. They should add $400 to every fare and include it, as they did in the UK. After all, we all want the poor underpaid (!) workers to get more pay.

I would walk out of a restaurant without leaving a tip if I had not had good service.

Go On : bring it on !

As a former waitress I will speak to this.

You are absolutely right to. Tips are to be earned. If I gave crappy service Or really messed a order I wouldn't expect a tip, and, Some people just don't tip. I believe that is their right. I am a good tipper. Probably because I've been on the other side. I have never and would not take off the dsc but I have had basically no service from a steward and did not tip extra, which I normally do. Basically I believe to each their own, tip or no, it's your choice.

• Like 1

I disputed the charge after 6 weeks of waiting. My bank of course refunded me ...then 48 hours later I got the credit from ncl

So for a short timeframe I had 2 credits

1 from my bank (this of course was a temporary credit)

1 from ncl (this of course was the permanent credit)

As soon as the ncl credit came thru my bank notified me the case was closed and that they would be reversing their initial temporary credit

That's how it usually works and that's how it worked this time

So yes....I did get the credit from ncl and they are fully aware that they did give it to me

Oh and I'm booked on another cruise with ncl too....got a great price...got obc added after initial booking when they added it as a perk and the rep couldn't have been nicer to me about it ...just got approved for their credit card too....so nope my account is not flagged and nope I'm not concerned about my steward knowing I removed dsc once either...

I removed it for a valid reason....which ncl totally allows....so I did what ncl suggests

Congrats. Any reason is a valid reason per the contract.

I have news for you posters they are offering this onboard because of maintenance issues. I refused and contacted a representative of the staff not the cruise line. Maintenence is part of the room steward to a point we where told. We had a smoke detector malfunction 3 nights in a row and we where offered gratuitie refunds because we prepaid. All I wanted was dinner for my trouble.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Room stewards are responsible for plumbing??? Aren't you also fighting for compensation over problems during the hurricane.

I would walk out of a restaurant without leaving a tip if I had not had good service.

Go On : bring it on !

If you are trying to send a message, leave a very small tip. No tip could mean that you forgot. Small tip shows that you remembered.

For the record, we've never removed the hotel service charge and we don't intend to remove the DSC on NCL.

When was the last time you did this on NCL? Depending on your residency, the rules for reducing the daily service charge are a bit different now. If you are from the UK the fare now includes the service charge in the base fare, and you cannot adjust it. If you are from the US you cannot reduce the amount on board, but must pay it and then apply for a partial or full refund after the cruise. The promise the refund in 4 weeks, but I have read that it takes longer.

NCL allows people to reduce the daily service charge, so people will do it. They should add $400 to every fare and include it, as they did in the UK. After all, we all want the poor underpaid (!) workers to get more pay.

US citizen/residency and i did it about a month ago on Bway, absolutely no problem, service desk just had me fill out simple form.

You are absolutely right to. Tips are to be earned. If I gave crappy service Or really messed a order I wouldn't expect a tip, and, Some people just don't tip. I believe that is their right. I am a good tipper. Probably because I've been on the other side. I have never and would not take off the dsc but I have had basically no service from a steward and did not tip extra, which I normally do. Basically I believe to each their own, tip or no, it's your choice.

And I believe you have hit the nail on the head. It is every ones choice.

I always tip for good service and for really bad service or products would no only not tip but take it further up the chain.

In short I don't tip because it is expected.

As a waitress, if a tip is split across 100 people and 7 days, is it reasonable that the 99 others get stiffed because you did a crappy job one day?

As a waitress, if a tip is split across 100 people and 7 days, is it reasonable that the 99 others get stiffed because you did a crappy job one day?

That's the system in place on these ships. Bad system. But since they foster a team environment everyone must give good service, so in a way it is fair.