Out of all the cut backs over the years, what is the one thing ...

sassy~one

So reading back a few posts...

I haven't been on a cruise without a yum yum man yet (last one was April - May 2017). Now we were in fixed dining, not sure if they are there in open dining, but our yum man made fixed dining so worth it. Origami galor.

As to suite issues, I still saw a suite reception on my last cruise but no luncheon (have never seen a dinner). MIssed having a luncheon :( but that is not an issue for most posters on this board ;)

Some things do remain on HAL but if they keep losing the little touches like cruise logs and so many other things that others mention, they will lose the specialness (is that a word?) that makes them HAL.

Sad. But somehow reassuring, too. My last cruise with Holland America Line was in December 2011 aboard NIEUW AMSTERDAM after one in Rotterdam (V), two in MAASDAM,one in EURODAM and another in NA. I read every "innovation", every "improvement" and came to the conclusion that HAL really did want me or my business. Why? Because they seemed intent on removing everything that I liked in the first place. The general feeling, especially from this Orlando Ashford, is "It would be ever so nice if you weren't here". I got the message. And since 2011, my wife and I have immensely enjoyed many cruises with Oceania and recently had a wonderful return to Cunard (QUEEN ELIZABETH) and booked her again for next year. Cunard, at least, is a bastion of traditional cruising the way many still prefer it.

What's missing from Holland America Line: ME

I would like to see the return of the "Yum-Yum Man" in uniform on a consistent basis. He should chime the traditional notes announcing dinner and be stationed at the dining room exit to dispense mints, ginger, etc. This was one of the unique hallmarks of cruising on a Holland America ship for many years.

Do you mean that is gone , too? We haven't cruised since '15....so many changes. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean that is gone , too? We haven't cruised since '15....so many changes. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yum Yum man was on our cruise on Amsterdam last month, chimes and all.

If I had to limit myself to one thing, I'd bring back the Neptunes. And if I could have a second thing, some decent lectures on sea days.

Increased staff so they can bring back the Indonesian and Filipino crew shows. The crews enjoyed putting on the show and I enjoyed attending.

They did have both shows on our recent Rotterdam (VOV) cruise. That White Monkey does seem to get around :).

Hank

Bring back the dining room staff. You know the Waiter who had time to ask each of us how our day had been and the assistant who removed dirty plates as soon as you were done. Who also refreshed drinks and did the hundred other little things that made dining special.

Bring back formal and semi-formal nights, where people dressed like it was a special night,,, and then make it "special" Put the covers back on the chairs and decorate the dining room.

Bring back the Adaigo strings with three violins and allow them to play each night and at dinner. Ball room music style that people can actually dance to. Again set the tone for elegance an style.

I guess what I am asking for is for HAL to "set the tone" of "a once in a lifetime experience everytime"! Isn't that what they advertise or has that gone too!

Great post! I’d add bring back the Crow’s Nest to what it was in the early to mid 90’s.

Ditto, miss so many things HAL used to do to set themselves apart from the other cruise lines, now they are just a cookie cutter line, sad.....

How true. When I read through all the posts I can't help but remember all those things that are now gone, sad. Maybe if more of us mentioned all these things on our post cruise surveys somebody in head office will wake up. You think??

Allan

The nice ticket folders that were sent out with our tickets,

The elegant "formal" not gala nights!

Crew show last night

Waiters, bartenders that knew your name immediately.

The bells personally rung on each deck before dinner.

Haven't been on HAL since mid nineties so don't really know what's there, But am looking forward to checking it out next Spring. We had such fun on those early cruises.

Tons of games with British descriptions. The Captain actually mingling with the passengers at Captains party........

Sent from my iPad using Forums

no sugar added cheesecake for dessert. .

not to hijack the thread but on my last cruise I requested this for dessert from waiter and the next night guess what I had for dessert :-). I've also requested no sugar added Baked Alaska with success

How true. When I read through all the posts I can't help but remember all those things that are now gone, sad. Maybe if more of us mentioned all these things on our post cruise surveys somebody in head office will wake up. You think??

Allan

As long as you keep booking more HAL cruises, what would incentivize them to "wake up"?

As long as you keep booking more HAL cruises, what would incentivize them to "wake up"?

Sadly, the answer is that there isn't an incentive. And I'm surprised that nobody has asked the other big question yet--how much more would you pay to have these items returned?

It's the way the cruise industry is going. Competition for passengers on the mass-market lines is driving prices down, so cuts must be made. I've come to accept this. We sail only HAL and Cunard. Many aspects of the two lines are similar. Where Cunard outshines HAL is in many of the things listed on this thread. Excellent libraries, daytime activities that include real enrichment lectures, many choices of entertainment (including during the day), real formal nights, real captain's parties not just a toast during the first show in the showroom). However, I pay more on Cunard than I do on HAL.

Do you mean that is gone , too? We haven't cruised since '15....so many changes.
On our last cruise we had anytime dining. The Yum-Yum man was there only two or three times in two weeks. One time we heard the chimes, and he was hitting the keys at random ... not the traditional dinner chime.

Oh I had forgotten the live music in the dining room. I know that the cruise line has been sold and are no longer Dutch owned, but I still miss the lady in traditional Dutch wear that greeted you with actual tulips and the Dutch cheese and cookies sold in the gift shops. I miss the horse races and the interaction between the passengers. I really miss getting to know your fellow passengers on the longer cruises especially. I guess I'm just showing my age.

And I'm surprised that nobody has asked the other big question yet--how much more would you pay to have these items returned?

50%. Heck, I'm already paying about double to get a semblance of all this on the Prinsendam, and I paid four times as much (to get less) on Oceania. Paying 50% more would be a bargain!

Reading all of this, I appreciate just how much has been "purged" from HAL and replaced by... well by what exactly? What I've seen of HAL under this new "management" is an effort to "ethnically cleanse" the line of past passengers and traditional cruisers in favour of some mythical hip Millennial market. Even the new decor is right out of IKEA. I work in an office with almost nothing but Millennials who a) don't take traditional "vacations" and b) wouldn't be caught dead on a cruise of any description. So whatever HAL is aspiring for... good luck to them.

Holland America Line is like the guy in his late 50s experiencing late middle age crisis trying to squeeze into a pair of skinny H&M jeans and wearing lycra in hopes of snagging some 25-year-old girlfriend. It's the MAMIL (Middle Age Male in Lycra) of cruise lines. And it's not a pretty sight.

Sad. But I am just amazed so many people still go on it... it sounds like an abusive relationship, enduring one cut-back after another yet still going back for... less.

Edited by kohl57