Can I request no room cleaning?

JackieSea

I'm going on a carnival cruise for my honeymoon next month and it's the first cruise I've been on. I travel a lot for work and have had various problems with people entering my hotel room (nothing bad like stolen items, just general moving things around or throwing out stuff I wasn't done with) so I always keep the 'do not disturb' sign up or ask the hotel desk to hold off on cleaning. Is this something I can do on the cruise ship? Will the cabin stewards respect the 'do not disturb' sign and stay out even if I'm not in the room?

I'm going on a carnival cruise for my honeymoon next month and it's the first cruise I've been on. I travel a lot for work and have had various problems with people entering my hotel room (nothing bad like stolen items, just general moving things around or throwing out stuff I wasn't done with) so I always keep the 'do not disturb' sign up or ask the hotel desk to hold off on cleaning. Is this something I can do on the cruise ship? Will the cabin stewards respect the 'do not disturb' sign and stay out even if I'm not in the room?

I doubt it, they will want to keep an eye on your cabin.

Generally, they will prefer to do a room check, just to make sure you're not trashing the place. You may need to also have a talk with your room host's supervisor, as they will check on the stewards periodically to make sure they are doing what they're supposed to be doing.

Your on honeymoon!!! Who cares what the room stewards think if you want your privacy. Its their jobs to take take of YOU, not the other way around. Keep the snoozing ;p sign up the whole cruise.

We rarely let the stewards into our cabin to clean.

They definitely respect the Snoozin sign!

We tell them up front that we'll let them know if /when we need towels and otherwise they needn't do anything for us.

On a 7 day cruise we tell them up front that we'll let them know which day we'll want cleaning and then we let them in on that one day.

At home we don't change sheets and towels every day and don't need that sort of attention when we travel. We probably keep the cabin neater than most folks!

If you do this, definitely discuss it with your steward. They are tasked with cleaning your room once a day. My bf keeps unusual hours so between the two of us we often keep the do not disturb sign up for most of the day. But the one hour where we take it down, we return to find the room clean. So if you don’t tell your steward your intentions you may be inadvertently be creating extra work for them if they keep checking your room. And if the steward is required to clean it a certain number of times a trip (as someone said; check that the room isn’t damaged, check if the mini bar is used, things of that nature) they can tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they don't see both of you in the hallway, they will be required to enter your cabin to make sure you are OK every 24 hours. It is a safety issue. You will want to exchange your towels as they don't dry very well in the cabin. I am an extremely neat person, but it is nice to have them come in at least once a day to "freshen" things up.

I can relate: If I'm staying at a hotel for just a couple nights, I don't like to be bothered either. But with a cruise, it's different. Aside from the (very valid) points brought up relating to it being a security issue, it's a small room. You'll need your trash removed, dirty towels removed with clean ones replaced (as mentioned), plus the sand issue! The sand you'll bring in from the beach creates a mess that you may not realize.

I would just talk to your stateroom attendant. They are so efficient; they don't want to be in your room any longer than you want them to be in your room. :)

Your on honeymoon!!! Who cares what the room stewards think if you want your privacy. Its their jobs to take take of YOU, not the other way around. Keep the snoozing ;p sign up the whole cruise.

They need to check periodically to see that you are still alive. If they can't get in, you will be visited by ship security.

Just to add to my post above, trust me you'll want your cabin vacuumed after a beach day. Even the tidiest person and/or the most private person cannot disagree: It gets everywhere! Perhaps you can dust the sand off the sheets, but not the floor. It's intolerable without at least a light cleaning.

After the carnage in Las Vegas no hotelier will respect a "Do Not Disturb" sign for more than 12 hours. It is a sad commentary on the state of civilization, but people can no longer expect privacy in accommodations.

Onboard it goes further back to 2009 Paradise out of Long Beach. A couple put the sign out on the second day, never to be seen again. They both went overboard. Now the ship has to see movement every day.

Only time we’ve had things moved onboard was many years ago on Royal.

Also it’s easier to clean something daily rather than at the end. Towels will need to be replaced. Ones used in the morning never seem to dry out. Bed linens are changed on the third or fourth day.

If they don't see both of you in the hallway, they will be required to enter your cabin to make sure you are OK every 24 hours. It is a safety issue

THIS...they need to make sure there has not been some medical, emotional or possible criminal emergency....it is a safety issue especially if you have a balcony cabin...you can be there if you want to by finding them and asking them to clean your cabin and you can hang around the hallway or keep checking back during...it is not ideal and probably interferes with their cleaning routine to have someone hanging around but you could do it...

Hi

If your only concern is that they may move some of your stuff around, just ask them not to. They don't throw things out that are not in the garbage. Use the safe for valuables.

They will respect your Snoozing sign, but they will want to replaced your dirty towels, glasses, throw out your garbage, and generally tidy up the cabin. They do have supervisors that inspect their work.

As others said, just talk with the person on embarkation day, they generally will introduce themselves.

Have a great cruise and congratulations

The garbage cans are tiny, you will need some service at least every few days along with fresh towels (don't always dry very well). They will not throw away any of your things. The only thing they ever moved was a souvenir glass and that was because they actually rinsed it out for us, we forgot to when we got back for the night. However i always tidy up the room and keep our things organized and put away, if tend to leave clothes and stuff strewn about they might pick that stuff up so they can clean. Another time we threw away a piece of clothing that had ripped really bad and for 2 days they kept taking it out of the garbage and leaving it, I'm guessing they thought it accidently fell in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I'm going to add that they don't necessarily change the sheets and towels everyday unless you ask. If the towels are on the floor in the bathroom, they replace the towels. And I think I read in another thread that they change the bed sheets, etc every other day. Plus if you don't let them in, how else are you going to get your towel animals every evening?!?!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I'm going to add that they don't necessarily change the sheets and towels everyday unless you ask. If the towels are on the floor in the bathroom, they replace the towels. And I think I read in another thread that they change the bed sheets, etc every other day. Plus if you don't let them in, how else are you going to get your towel animals every evening?!?!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

More like once a week on a seven day depending on cruise length.