La Cucina

camper49

I'm not a fan of La Cucina......and I like the Olive Garden and think it gets a bad rap!

La Cucina tastes over processed (coming from he girl who likes the Olive Garden). I think the red sauce has a terrible flavor, it's bitter and doesn't taste of tomato or something. Then they serve the bread at room temperature. I'm not a big fan.

I’m so glad to see somebody else say this! I have no idea why people don’t like La Cucina. My grandmother is Sicilian, and I’m VERY picky about Italian food. I LOVE La Cucina. It’s consistently my favorite specialty restaurant, and almost always has the best service. I don’t understand the Cagney’s love at all on these boards. It’s fine, I guess. I’ve never had a terrible steak there. But for the most part, the sides are abysmal. They taste like TV dinner vegetables to me. I guess people don’t have decent quality steak houses at home??? Or even a Ruth’s Chris? I also am not a Teppanyaki fan. At all. I have much better hibachi at home. But I’ve gotten very off topic. They definitely have lasagna at La Cucina, but I totally agree that there are better options. Try the Osso Bucco. And the gnocchi!

I almost could have written this post...loved la cucina as well...cagney's was good but I am not much of a steak house fan...I do like teppanyaki and thought it was great on the ship (fun too)...I almost ordered the osso bucco and now wish I had....someone else posted how great it was

LeBistro was just average...

Cagney's provided the worst steak I've ever bitten into in my life.

LaCuccina was fanstastic.

I live in Pittsburgh, home to many, many fantastic Italian restaurants...LaCuccina was very, very good.

People who rave about Cagney's, in my opinion, have never had a proper steak.

tehre is lasagna i believe on the MDR menu that is there every night.

lacucina is terrible italian. we are from the boston area where we have some of the best italian food and ive been to italy twice. lacucina is worse than an olive garden.

OK, let me correct this right here. I have had the lasagna in the MDR and in La Cucina on the same cruise. (Don't ask me why, I like lasagna) There is no comparison. The MDR lasagna is garbage. The La Cucina lasagna (at least the meat one) was delicious. As someone else said people's tastes differ, but the food in the MDR is never the same as the specialty restaurants. It's a step above cafeteria food.

I think it depends on the ship. We were on the Pearl last month and La Cucina was the

worst dinner we had. The service was terrible...waited 25 mins for soup and salad... I am Italian and found the food to be terrible...especially the meatballs, but we had waited almost an hour to get to the main meal and it was bad. Ordered chicken parm and it was a huge (I think) chicken breast thrown over some pasta. I tried a couple of bites but could not get over how

it looked on the plate.

a huge chicken breast thrown on some pasta...

I like La Cucina, but I order the Osso Bucco every time and I’m an Irish Texan, so my vote probably doesn’t count. I was happy when they changed from polenta to risotto as a base for the dish. The risotto is better risotto than the polenta was polenta.

My wife, the New York Italian, used to like La Cucina until they changed their red sauce recipe a couple of years ago. She said it’s worse than Ragu. I even got the “taste this! This is crap!” last time.

Specifically on lasagne, she ordered the vegetarian lasagne once, over the waiter’s protests, and found out he was right. (Always trust a Filipino opinion on Italian food.) That was the dish that saved me from Italian food for a couple of cruises.

On the side arguments:

I like Cagney’s and we tend to close our cruises there on our last night, so it’s a tradition.

I think the best steak on the ship is the Cote de Boeuf Por Deux at Le Bistro. (Please excuse my French, that’s from memory.) in Texan, it’s the big honkin’ couples steak.

I’ve been told we’re never going back to Olive Garden :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

La Cucina gets a bad rap on these boards for some reason.

I am a New York Italian who also does plenty of cooking on my own - who loves La Cucina. It is second only to Le Bistro IMO out of all of NCL specialty restaurants.

(Moderno is just gross overcooked dry meat - Cagney's so over rated cannot cook a medium rare steak on 4 tries - Teppanyaki - any on land Hibachi will be much better)

Yes they will have Lasagna -- but the real delights on their menu are the non "red sauce" dishes.

The Osso Bucco is to die for

Well said! I am a foodie snob who makes my own pasta and sauces from scratch, and la cucina is pretty good. I️ always get the osso bucco

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One entree but no restrictions on rest. DH and I had two appetizers each, soup, main course and three desserts.

Actually, if you read the terms of the SDP, you are limited to one entree in Le Bistro and Cagney's. It specifically states just those 2 restaurants. It makes no mention of limitations in La Cucina. I've ordered multiple in Teppanyaki, but haven't had a need to try at La Cucina. Just wanted to point that out.

Another positive vote for La Cucina. My wife is part Italian and an exceptional cook. The dishes at La Cucina compare favourably with my wife's repertoire of classic Italian recipes (no restaurant on the face of the earth can top her tiramisu). Cagney's is overrated. The steaks are consistently overdone and the service is slow. My wife likes Le Bistro while I find it a bit pretentious. Teppanyaki is fun. We are trying Maderno for the first time on our Cruise next week on the Epic so we'll so how that goes.

La Cucina gets a bad rap on these boards for some reason.

I am a New York Italian who also does plenty of cooking on my own - who loves La Cucina. It is second only to Le Bistro IMO out of all of NCL specialty restaurants.

(Moderno is just gross overcooked dry meat - Cagney's so over rated cannot cook a medium rare steak on 4 tries - Teppanyaki - any on land Hibachi will be much better)

Yes they will have Lasagna -- but the real delights on their menu are the non "red sauce" dishes.

The Osso Bucco is to die for

I have not tried La Cucina yet, but my hubby would pay for good pasta any day over a steak, so to each their own I guess! I am Italian, and Sunday wouldn’t be a Sunday without my gravy (sauce)!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Another New York Italian weighing in. Just got off the Getaway a few weeks ago. I agree with the poster that said it depends on the ship.

6 adults. We did three specialty restaurants.

Our favorite was Le Bistro. Great food, and service.

Second place would go to La Cucina where their Italian food measured up to our Italian expectations, but the service was not good.

Finally, we were very disappointed with Carney’s. Adult son wanted medium rare and sent his steak back three times trying to get it right. After the third try, told them to just forget it!