Frozen Drinks on RCCL Ships

I probably spend a little too much time sitting at the bar as I enjoy people watching and chatting with the bartenders (and sipping the odd cocktail). Last week on Anthem they only stocked 4 different frozen mixers: Lime, Mango, Strawberry and Coconut. Probably 75% of the frozen drinks I saw ordered were Pina Coladas followed by Mudslides and Miami Vice. Maybe it was just the pool area, but not a lot of variety seems to get ordered and I'm guessing Royal stocks their bars accordingly.

I rarely every get a fruity drink because they are all MIXES and full of SUGAR, Some might be FRESH like the Mojito but I bet they add SUGAR and I will guarantee the Margaritas are a MIX and not a very good one. Maybe you can beg a bartender to make you a fresh Margarita depending on the bar

I rarely every get a fruity drink because they are all MIXES and full of SUGAR, Some might be FRESH like the Mojito but I bet they add SUGAR and I will guarantee the Margaritas are a MIX and not a very good one. Maybe you can beg a bartender to make you a fresh Margarita depending on the bar

Caipirinhas aren't made from a mix. ;)

Yep. Went to the bar and asked if he could make me a Banana Monkey (what they call it at a resort in Playa del Carmen) and he got a confused smile on his face. I said "basically it's a Mudslide with banana" and he said "sure I'll give it a whirl!". Wasn't quite the same with banana liqueur instead of fresh banana, but it did the job. :cool:

My favorite cruise drink is a BBC. I'll grab a banana from Windjammer (or anywhere else I can find one) and take it to one of the bars on the pool deck or in the Solarium to avoid the liqueur substitution.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you make a Mojito without sugar, it will be VERY sour.

Same with caipirinha. Lime juice and alcohol is NOT very good tasting. Think limeade without any sugar, or just sucking on a lime.

Same with a marguarita made without a mix, it is lime juice and sugar (or Rose's lime juice, which has sugar), orange liqueur, and tequila. Again, without sugar, VERY sour.

.. back when they actually had bar menus.

They still do have bar menus.

That is why I was amazed that they totally ran out of cachaca on the ship. Cacacha and caipinrinha are listed in the menu. If they had not been on the menu, I could see limited stock, but ON THE MENU????

And you leave port, on a 9 night cruise with 2 partial bottles??????

Provisioning manager should not get a bonus, they should be reprimanded.

Had a pina colada at the pool bar on Vision. They pour white rum in a glass then add virgin pina colada on top. Very odd, have never seen a frozen drink not blended, and not very tasty, as well. Until enough of the drink had been consumed to be able to stir it, I was drinking either the rum or the mix separately. $11.84 for slop.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They still do have bar menus.

That is why I was amazed that they totally ran out of cachaca on the ship. Cacacha and caipinrinha are listed in the menu. If they had not been on the menu, I could see limited stock, but ON THE MENU????

And you leave port, on a 9 night cruise with 2 partial bottles??????

Provisioning manager should not get a bonus, they should be reprimanded.

I agree with you, especially considering the limited menus they have now, they should at least stock the stuff they need make what's on the menu. I think my own liquor cabinet has more stock than what the bars on ships now have.

If you make a Mojito without sugar, it will be VERY sour.

Same with caipirinha. Lime juice and alcohol is NOT very good tasting. Think limeade without any sugar, or just sucking on a lime.

Same with a marguarita made without a mix, it is lime juice and sugar (or Rose's lime juice, which has sugar), orange liqueur, and tequila. Again, without sugar, VERY sour.

We usually have a Frozen Mojito at least a few times per cruise, but we took the habit of ordering "Half Sugar" It helps.

dp

We get it, you don't like MIXES and SUGAR:p

I found Gambee's old menu photos very helpful, thanks for linking to that.

(I love the mixes and sugar!) :'):')

I am new to RC's beverage package. I see that it includes bottled water and premium coffees and teas.

Are there also smoothies?

Any other beverages I should order regularly to get my monies worth?

I found Gambee's old menu photos very helpful, thanks for linking to that.

(I love the mixes and sugar!) :'):')

I am new to RC's beverage package. I see that it includes bottled water and premium coffees and teas.

Are there also smoothies?

Any other beverages I should order regularly to get my monies worth?

Availability of smoothies varies by ship. Also included is fresh squeezed OJ.

• 4 years later...

I realize this is a very old thread, but I have been recently wondering about this issue. We were just on Ovation of the Seas and I tried to order a frozen fruity drink at the Solarium bar. I asked for a couple of different drinks and was told that the only frozen drink they could make was a pina colada. That's it. I figured maybe the choices were limited because it was an Alaskan cruise and the weather was colder (although it was very warm in the Solarium), but while looking at the drink menus online now, I'm not seeing frozen drinks at all.

We are sailing on Adventure to Cozumel in November, and I wonder if anyone knows if other ships offer anything besides pina coladas?

8 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We are sailing on Adventure to Cozumel in November, and I wonder if anyone knows if other ships offer anything besides pina coladas?

Yes, other frozen drinks should be available.

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I realize this is a very old thread, but I have been recently wondering about this issue. We were just on Ovation of the Seas and I tried to order a frozen fruity drink at the Solarium bar. I asked for a couple of different drinks and was told that the only frozen drink they could make was a pina colada. That's it. I figured maybe the choices were limited because it was an Alaskan cruise and the weather was colder (although it was very warm in the Solarium), but while looking at the drink menus online now, I'm not seeing frozen drinks at all.

Probably the pina colada was the only mixer they had in stock at that bar.

In addition, they also have strawberry daiquiri, tropical daiquiri, mango daiquiri, peach daiquiri (my fave), margaritas, and mojitos.  Oh, and mudslides. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

Probably the pina colada was the only mixer they had in stock at that bar.

In addition, they also have strawberry daiquiri, tropical daiquiri, mango daiquiri, peach daiquiri (my fave), margaritas, and mojitos.  Oh, and mudslides. 

And a ton more...

BBC, Bushwhacker, Lava flow, Miami VIce, etc.

Also, always feel free to ask a bartender for a suggestion.

• Like 1