List of Shoreside Tenders?

Alphen

Is there a list of which port has its own tenders?

The reason I ask it that in planning shore excursions, there is a big difference if the ship is using its own tenders, or that shoreside is providing, often larger and faster tenders, that improve ship to shore tendering a lot. Usually we are a bit cautious when doing private excursions at tender ports, but if you know beforehand that tendering is not by own tenders, but in a quicker and more efficient way, you can still opt for private excursions there.

Now I know about:

• ·HalfmoonCay (not really applicable)
  • ·Cabo San Lucas
  • ·Koh Sumai

Any others?

Several ports in Europe. Santorini leaps to mind.

Been to Cabo 3 times, always used ship's tenders. Is shore based tenders new?

Bear in mind some of these ports have limited shore based tenders, so some ships will still use their own tenders, if multiple ships are in port. HMC is an example.

Been to Cabo 3 times, always used ship's tenders. Is shore based tenders new?

Not new, but it's always hit or miss in Cabo. Sometimes port based tenders are used exclusively, other times ship's tenders; and sometimes even a combination of both.

Grand Cayman -- we have always used ship tenders while some of the other cruise lines used the island tenders.

Catalina Island -- we used ship tenders.

A couple of times there were so many ships in Cozumel that we used ships tenders to get ashore. Same thing happened in St Martin -- 9 ships one time.

St. Malo provides one, however on our Prinsendam cruise our Captain was not satisfied with the safety and operation of them. He refused the shoreside tender after seeing it and lowered our tender ports.

So, even if shoreside tenders are available, the ship may opt not to use them.

In our case, needless to say, our tenders were late as a result (late is an understatement).

I had a private transfers booked for a number of our roll call to go to Mont St. Michel and although we were an hour + late, our private tours were there waiting for us ;)

I think it was Malacca, Malaysia, also where we had to take a local tender, which was large, but they would only allow a limited number aboard, and the whole thing was very slow. Captain was not happy, and apologized at the end of the day.

Is there a list of which port has its own tenders?

The reason I ask it that in planning shore excursions, there is a big difference if the ship is using its own tenders, or that shoreside is providing, often larger and faster tenders, that improve ship to shore tendering a lot. Usually we are a bit cautious when doing private excursions at tender ports, but if you know beforehand that tendering is not by own tenders, but in a quicker and more efficient way, you can still opt for private excursions there.

Now I know about:

• ·HalfmoonCay (not really applicable)
  • ·Cabo San Lucas
  • ·Koh Sumai

Any others?

I have experienced a couple of ports where shore-based tenders provided abysmal service. Their use does not guarantee better service.

If there are two ships at HMC, one will be using it's own tenders. I experienced this on Oosterdam when Noordam arrived first. Grand Cayman has shoreside tenders. Also used shoreside tenders at Mykonos, but that was years ago. EM

Great Thread! I hope I can figure how to subscribe. We don't do the lifeboat tender, and prefer the shore tenders w/ the gangplank going from ship to boat.

I think Bar Harbor is one. Sometimes, we must go from the tender, to a middle boat, then on to the ship. Supposed to make an easier tender ride.

The Santorini Boatsman Union requires that their (shore-side) tenders are used for all transport from the ship to both Santorini docks. Only if there are too many ships in port that day do they allow ship's tenders. But if that happens, I wouldn't want to be in Santorini that day. The lines for the cable car can be 2 or more hours long with 4 ships in port.

Great Thread! I hope I can figure how to subscribe. We don't do the lifeboat tender, and prefer the shore tenders w/ the gangplank going from ship to boat.

I think Bar Harbor is one. Sometimes, we must go from the tender, to a middle boat, then on to the ship. Supposed to make an easier tender ride.

I’m having a hard time picturing this. Do you mean they “raft” the 3 vessels together, or they transfer pax between vessels part of the way ashore?