Disappointment

bobby02

I was going to say the same thing! dh and I always use our passports when we fly. I am sorry for what happened to the OP, but each passenger is responsible for having the proper ID when boarding.

For the "Experts" could the op have used their "cancel for any reason" insurance? It says "for any reason" maybe they could have gotten some of their money back...

Every cancel for any reason policy I've read has required cancellation to occur 48 hours or more before the cruise, inside of 48 hours they don't apply. There could be some policies that don't require that but I haven't seen them.

Lots of problems here.

How did you fly to San Diego -- did you use your driver's license for ID at the airport? Had you used your passport -- well you get my drift -- when you should have used it -- you would have discovered that you didn't have them with you. You would have had time to get home or have someone bring them to you from your house.

You said that you tried to register on the 8th -- couldn't. Why didn't you call HAL in Seattle?? That was Friday and the office was still open. They could have helped you and told you what to do -- if anything.

Sorry this happened to you.

Military ID != Passport.

Rules for US Citizens for a round trip cruise (which this is not) require either a passport OR (Drivers Licence + Birth Certificate). Maybe the military ID + Birth Certificate combination would have worked, I'm not sure, but only for you. Not your wife.

This one is 100% on you, not the cruise line as it is a Customs/Border rule, NOT a cruise line rule. Cruise lines can make and break their own rules, they cannot touch government ones.

And since this cruise was going from one US port to another, is a passport required for US Citzens on this? I'm Canadian, so I always need my passport just to get to the port anyway.

OP was not supposed to be on a round trip cruise (closed loop) it was a one way re-positioning cruise with stops in foreign ports, so a passport is required.

Sorry this happened to you.

Typical pre cruise conversation at my house:

Me - Did you pack the passports?

Wife - Yes, as always.

Me- let me see them please.

Wife - Why? I told you I packed them.

Me- I just want to see them. I can sail without packing pants, but no passport's a deal breaker.

Wife - Oookaaay.

She always has them packed with our paperwork..., except once. She'd taken them out to do some last minute online registration and left them beside her computer. My paranoia worked for us that time. It is something we do every cruise now and she knows my OCD nature can serve a purpose.

We divide and conquer. We have a packing list for checked and carry-on luggage. My wife is in charge of packing in her carry-on all our meds, our drivers licenses, cash, credit card and jewelry. In my backpack, cell phone, camera, airline tickets, cruise document's, passports and any other cruise related paperwork. Before we leave the house, did you pack...

No. You need to be a legal immigrant permanently living in the United States to join the U.S Military. And you must have served and retired from the U.S Military to receive a Military ID.

Huh?

You mean non-citizens serving on active duty do not have an ID????

How do they get on base?

OP is retired and therefore his Military ID is no longer valid. They are no longer valid when leaving the military.

If he retired, not just separated, then he has a Retired ID card. But still have a valid ID card.

My Dad retired in 1983, and still has a valid ID card.

Huh?

You mean non-citizens serving on active duty do not have an ID????

How do they get on base?

That is not what the poster said. The poster said there are enlisted serving who are not US citizens. A number of enlisted are non-citizens who earn their citizenship by serving. That is all the poster said.

Was about to enjoy a 14 day cruise from San Diego thru the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale aboard the Westerdam. My wife and I flew into San Diego from Raleigh, NC on the 7th of December and stayed at the Sheraton. The morning of the 8th we attempted to register for the cruise with the Holland America Rep. We forgot to pick up our passports from the kitchen table. We didn't realize this until attempting to register at the motel. I thought no problem as I'm retired military and have my military ID. Guess what! Holland America refused to allow us to register to board! The military ID was not acceptable. You must have a passport! I went through a lot more security checks etc. when I received my military ID! Why isn't the ID as good as a passport? That was an expensive no cruise. The Hal rep did not attempt to help us out at all. We asked her (rep) what can we do. She just shrugged her shoulders.

Sorry to here about this. I guess there are a few lessons to be leaned from your situation which was your first post on good ship CC.

1. If the cruise line says you need a passport, don't forget your passport.

2. If you post on CC you can get some really good suggestions to fix a problem. I especially like getting your passports couriered to you and catching up with the cruise.

3. CCer's sure can be an augmentative bunch! ;) And lastly,

4. Some CCer's have clearly failed Diplomacy 101! :(

Hope you get your problem fixed and you can salvage some of your cruise!

BTW, Thanks for your service. Without people like you, none of us would be able to cruise!

Why didn't you have someone in NC overnight your passports to you and join the ship in Puerto Vallarta or the next stop. Seems like you could board the ship tomorrow in Huatulco. sorry for your trouble.

OP, I am sorry you missed your cruise but I'm very surprised that the HAL rep didn't suggest this, but it's a good reminder if anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

HAL doesn't make immigration rules. There was nothing the HAL rep could do. You forgot your passports, which were required documents for this cruise. It's too bad, but you're going to have to accept responsibility.

And no, Cancel for Any Reason insurance wouldn't cover this, for reasons already stated.

I also question why you didn't have your passports sent to you, and then fly to meet your cruise. Seems a shame to lose all that money.

I am sorrry this happened to you but please stop bblaming HAL. the blame for this one rests solely on the travelers. Sometimes we have to own our mistakes and not blame anyone but ourselves..

What did you expect HOlland Ameica to do? Send someone to your house and hope someone there could hand them the passports?

Edited by sail7seas

Was about to enjoy a 14 day cruise from San Diego thru the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale aboard the Westerdam. My wife and I flew into San Diego from Raleigh, NC on the 7th of December and stayed at the Sheraton. The morning of the 8th we attempted to register for the cruise with the Holland America Rep. We forgot to pick up our passports from the kitchen table. We didn't realize this until attempting to register at the motel. I thought no problem as I'm retired military and have my military ID. Guess what! Holland America refused to allow us to register to board! The military ID was not acceptable. You must have a passport! I went through a lot more security checks etc. when I received my military ID! Why isn't the ID as good as a passport? That was an expensive no cruise. The Hal rep did not attempt to help us out at all. We asked her (rep) what can we do. She just shrugged her shoulders.

WHAT on earth did you expect her to do? I am very interested what you suppose Holland America could or should have done at that point?

WHAT on earth did you expect her to do? I am very interested what you suppose Holland America could or should have done at that point?

I think it would have been nice for the HAL rep to make the same suggestion that was made previously- suggest that the passports be overnighted and make plans to catch up to the ship at a later port. This is my biggest take away from this- that the traveler should know what plans B, C and D are because the cruise line may not suggest them if something goes wrong.

What would happen if those overnighted passports got lost or never made it to the ship? Would the two people have been disembarked somewhere because they might be refused entry to a county because of no passport.

There is a common thread through this...blaming others for your problems or expecting others to solve your problems for you.

I am not certain what anyone expected the HAL rep to say beyond the patently obvious. It is a cruise line, not a babysitting service. I cannot imagine why anyone would criticize HAL or the HAL rep.

When we travel, we lock our doors. Before leaving the doorstep we double check to make sure that we have our passports, visas, credit cards, and ipads. It is down to us. It is not a pretty situation but it has zero to do with HAL or HAL personnel.

What would happen if those overnighted passports got lost or never made it to the ship? Would the two people have been disembarked somewhere because they might be refused entry to a county because of no passport.

There is a common thread through this...blaming others for your problems or expecting others to solve your problems for you.

I am not certain what anyone expected the HAL rep to say beyond the patently obvious. It is a cruise line, not a babysitting service. I cannot imagine why anyone would criticize HAL or the HAL rep.

When we travel, we lock our doors. Before leaving the doorstep we double check to make sure that we have our passports, visas, credit cards, and ipads. It is down to us. It is not a pretty situation but it has zero to do with HAL or HAL personnel.

To be clear the plan would be for the passengers to remain behind in the embarkation port, have the passports overnighted and then for them to catch up to the ship at a later port. I don't think anyone suggested that they board and wait for the overnighted passports on the ship.

Either way this is not HAL's issue. Why try and make it their issue?

I never said it was, all I said is it would have been nice for them to make that suggestion. I also said travelers need to know what their options are when they are traveling and things don't go as planned.

That's very unfortunate, I doubt this will happen to you again now that you know, but other posters would do well to heed the previous advice of using your passport to board a flight that is taking you somewhere that you will need a passport. And always double check whether you are going to need one.

HAL doesn't make immigration rules. There was nothing the HAL rep could do. You forgot your passports, which were required documents for this cruise. It's too bad, but you're going to have to accept responsibility.

And no, Cancel for Any Reason insurance wouldn't cover this, for reasons already stated.

I also question why you didn't have your passports sent to you, and then fly to meet your cruise. Seems a shame to lose all that money.

Gee, late to the party, and cranky. You need a break from the computer. Get out of those jammies and take the dog for a walk.

Burt