Great cruise on Equinox, but frustrating experience for friends

leisuretraveler223

Just off Equinox, and overall had a fantastic time. Unfortunately, one of the couples with us had a less than perfect cruise. She was diagnosed with Influenza A on Monday. Started on Tamiflu but obviously put into 72 hour quarantine. At the time, they gave her husband a choice: Pack up and move to another room, or be quarantined with her. Choosing marital bliss over a cruise vacation, he accepted the quarantine.

Now, I could take issue with the fact that there is no medical indication to quarantine asymptomatic contacts who are on prophylaxis, but their ship, their rules. So I get it and let it go.

What was rather disconcerting was the degree to which they have so little in place to accommodate quarantined passengers. Sure, they check on them numerous times a day to make sure they are staying put. But they were entirely unprepared to do anything to make the experience more palatable.

My asymptomatic friend struggled to get room service delivered. Worse yet, he had a premium beverage package and they made no accommodation to allow him to obtain drinks- alcoholic or otherwise. He was told he would still be charged for the soft drinks in his room. Initially they told him if he ordered wine, beer or a cocktail he would be charged per the room service policy. After trying to explain he had a beverage package and could they possibly make some other arrangement, the tune changed to "you can't get drinks because your on a medication (tamiflu) where you're not supposed to drink". Only problem is there is no contraindication to alcohol consumption with tamiflu.

Overall, the most frustrating part was that they are very well prepared to identify, declare and enforce a quarantine. And I laud them for this! However, for something that clearly happens quire regularly, it is disappointing to have them appear entirely unprepared to make any reasonable accommodations to help someone at least salvage something from a lost vacation experience.

Just some food for thought!

Fortunately they were both cleared after 72 hours and he was able to enjoy the last two days of the cruise!

Was she feeling ill before boarding? If so, why did they let her on? Did she get a flu shot?

She was not feeling ill. She did get a flu shot. She has a variety of medical problems the result in chronic fatigue. She was cleared for the travel by her physician and felt fine until the morning after boarding.

Could you not have taken your frind’s card and gotten drinks for him?

We thought about that, but also didn't want them to accuse him of leaving the room. Truth be told, I did bring him a glass of wine on two occasions (I just got it myself).

But this also doesn't speak to what would have been possible had they been traveling alone.

Sorry for the issues your friends had on the sailing, frustrating to be sure.

How could X know the extent of the illness without having their physician exam and report? They were being precautious for the other passengers aboard... as for no alcohol, most medications have a disclaimer about drinking and taking them, unless tamiflu has no fine print to this effect?

Also, they may be able to recoup something from their third (3rd) party travel insurance policy, they should contact to find out.

I trust the next sailing will be much better for all.

bon voyage

What was rather disconcerting was the degree to which they have so little in place to accommodate quarantined passengers. Sure, they check on them numerous times a day to make sure they are staying put. But they were entirely unprepared to do anything to make the experience more palatable.

Fortunately they were both cleared after 72 hours and he was able to enjoy the last two days of the cruise!

I completely agree. I was quarantined for 48 hours in November with norovirus on the Solstice.

As I explained to the suite manager, “they’ve forgotten that I am a customer as well.” Fortunately we were in a suite and our butler stepped up. She got the food I asked for, when I asked for it without a lot of drama. New friends in other kinds of cabins has a much more difficult experience.

I think the Celebrity policy is that quarantined customers get future cruise certificates valued at the amount of time quarantined in their cabin rate. I was quarantined for 48 hours and I got a certificate valued at 2 days of the price we paid our 12 day cruise.

I did not receive, or did not realize I received, the certificates on board. I called Captain’s Club and the rep said they were attached to the quarantined cruise reservation and she gave me the info I needed to use it.

For anyone who wants to tell me it was my fault I got sick, just please don’t.

How could X know the extent of the illness without having their physician exam and report?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. She was examined.

They were being precautious for the other passengers aboard...

Like I said, I did not disagree with the quarantine. As a physician, I question the necessity of quarantining him as well. But like I said, their ship, their policy, so I didn't begrudge that.

as for no alcohol, most medications have a disclaimer about drinking and taking them, unless tamiflu has no fine print to this effect?

There is no contraindication in consuming alcohol while on tamiflu. If one wants to argue that there is drawbacks to taking alcohol while you have influenza, I'll absolutely agree with that. But he was never ill. He was being treated prophylactically.

Also, they may be able to recoup something from their third (3rd) party travel insurance policy, they should contact to find out.

No one is concerned about recouping costs. The part I and he took issue with was Celebrity's apparent complete lack of preparedness to make a quarantine a bit more tolerable. Every conversation he had would have left you thinking this never happened before.

As a Physician you most certainly understand why the ships medical department would exercise extreme caution when a case of flu is suspected. This has been a very serious problem. I learned the other day that a medical professional in the Boca area was on a respirator after they contacted the flu. I am very surprised that the ship was not prepared. I had noro while on Constellation. I was given meds to ease the symptoms, had special meals delivered to the cabin and a free pay for view movie. Also received a OBC for the day spent in my cabin. Someone on the ship dropped the ball and did not follow protocol. I would talk to the Resolutions Department at Celebrity so that they could take corrective action. By the way: I always have a Premium Package and often take drinks from the fridge and replace them when I can. This was suggested by a cabin attendant.

As a Physician you most certainly understand why the ships medical department would exercise extreme caution when a case of flu is suspected.

I do. And like I said, I didn't begrudge them that. However, as a physician, I also know he there isn't a single bit of evidence that isolating asymptomatic contacts on prophylaxis eliminates any substantive risk of spread. So it was an overabundance of caution that looks good on paper (and in the media). And it no doubt makes anxious cruisers feel better. But it in no way makes anyone less susceptible.

You know this is one of those occasions where common sense should have had a role....

A simple solution would have been for Celebrity to have given them a bottle of spirit of choice, a bottle or two of wine and stocked the minibar with beers and soda. Celebrity would not have been out of pocket. It would only be equivalent to what they would have drunk if not confined to their room. I can think of fewer things more depressing than being fully fit and healthy on a cruise with a drinks package and unable to enjoy it as was the case of the husband! Re the sick wife, I am sure she would have benefited from sipping cool sodas without feeling ripped off by minibar costs!

I cannot possibly understand why there should be issues with room service....surely there should not have been an issue unless they were requesting MDR items when the MDR was shut....

I applaud Celebrity for taking a stand against allowing sick guests to wander around the ship and I applaud your friends for sticking to the quarantine....a little bit of understanding could have gone a long way. Come to think it offering quarantined guests pay for view movies for free would be a nice gesture too...

I completely agree. I was quarantined for 48 hours in November with norovirus on the Solstice.

As I explained to the suite manager, “they’ve forgotten that I am a customer as well.” Fortunately we were in a suite and our butler stepped up. She got the food I asked for, when I asked for it without a lot of drama. New friends in other kinds of cabins has a much more difficult experience.

I think the Celebrity policy is that quarantined customers get future cruise certificates valued at the amount of time quarantined in their cabin rate. I was quarantined for 48 hours and I got a certificate valued at 2 days of the price we paid our 12 day cruise.

I did not receive, or did not realize I received, the certificates on board. I called Captain’s Club and the rep said they were attached to the quarantined cruise reservation and she gave me the info I needed to use it.

For anyone who wants to tell me it was my fault I got sick, just please don’t.

I won't say it.

But who is at fault you got sick?Suite manager, butler or captain's club?

Celebrity needs to understand that by making isolation more uncomfottable than it needs to be might actually discourage passengers who pose a real risk to others not to self report illness. That would make the ship less safe for passengers who might be exposed to potential serious illness.

My understanding is that flu is generally contagious for approximately 24 hours before symptom onset. As a result, it makes perfect sense to quarantine the spouse along with the person who tested positive.

When we were quarantined a couple of years ago, room service was very good. We were told to drink anything in the room refrigerator that was NA, and let room service know if we needed more.

As for alcohol, doesn't it lower the immune system? So, if a person was exposed, wouldn't it be contradicted even without the Tamiflu?

I'm sorry your friend had a poor experience. It stinks to get sick on vacation.

As is so often the case, treatment by Celebrity is very much dependant upon the specific crew. When my wife had symptoms of noro (turned out not to be, but that's a story for another day), she was quarantined for a couple of days and received very caring service. Free movies, free access to the water and soft drinks, excellent room service and attendants who, despite the extra work entailed cleaning a "noro cabin", fussed over her constantly. On the other hand, there was never any offer of OBC or a future cruise certificate. I mention that because of the inconsistency, as the care she received was far more important than the OBC or FCC.

Celebrity, and in turn its passengers, might benefit from from instituting a study of the best practises across the fleet and then developing a corporate protocol on all aspects of passenger quarantine.

My understanding is that flu is generally contagious for approximately 24 hours before symptom onset. As a result, it makes perfect sense to quarantine the spouse along with the person who tested positive.

I "sounds" reasonable. But such measures have been shown to have zero effect on the spread. But again, I absolutely concede this one. Their ship, their rules.

As for alcohol, doesn't it lower the immune system? So, if a person was exposed, wouldn't it be contradicted even without the Tamiflu?

While it theoretically can, there is no quantifiable evidence that moderate consumption results in increased symptomatology or transmission. Besides, this was an arbitrary assertion from someone at room service, not from the infirmary or hotel staff.

Did they raise the issue beyond what some flunky in room service was asserting? I would have kept going up the ladder until the hotel director was telling me "no." Most others report the opposite of this experience, so it's a shame they suffered with sub-par service.

Did they raise the issue beyond what some flunky in room service was asserting? I would have kept going up the ladder until the hotel director was telling me "no." Most others report the opposite of this experience, so it's a shame they suffered with sub-par service.

They did it to the best degree they could. Honestly, when you're quarantined in your room, you can only get in touch with who is willing to answer the phone. They spoke to several people, but never got to the hotel director. He was going to try and press the issue once he got out, but honestly, at that point he didn't want to waste his time standing in line at guest services. He just wanted to get up on deck and enjoy what he could of the cruise.

They did it to the best degree they could. Honestly, when you're quarantined in your room, you can only get in touch with who is willing to answer the phone. They spoke to several people, but never got to the hotel director. He was going to try and press the issue once he got out, but honestly, at that point he didn't want to waste his time standing in line at guest services. He just wanted to get up on deck and enjoy what he could of the cruise.

I always try to get a card from the HD and GRM so I can call them directly if I have a serious problem. They are more than happy to give a card.

Celebrity needs to understand that by making isolation more uncomfottable than it needs to be might actually discourage passengers who pose a real risk to others not to self report illness. That would make the ship less safe for passengers who might be exposed to potential serious illness.

Very well said.