Checking into flight while at sea

We are on the Liberty later this month, flying back home from Houston on Southwest after the cruise. We were not planning on paying for wifi onboard. Since we will be at sea 24 hours out from our return flight, we’re wondering if there’s any access to a computer onboard that we would be able to use to check into our flight.

Not that I'm aware of. You'll need to pay for Early Bird or just accept not being able to check in early. It's a big disadvantage of Southwest for sure.

Early Bird 100% of the time. Yea, its another way for them to get $30 from you but you get good fares from them AND two free checked bags. For us, the price for early bird is worth every penny. And you don't need to print your boarding pass early. It will be waiting for you, (and your place in line doesn't change based on when you print the ticket, its based on when you buy the early bird) at the baggage check in.

We are on the Liberty later this month, flying back home from Houston on Southwest after the cruise. We were not planning on paying for wifi onboard. Since we will be at sea 24 hours out from our return flight, we’re wondering if there’s any access to a computer onboard that we would be able to use to check into our flight.

Do you have a C&A level? D& D+ have free internet that can be taken at the end of the cruise. Also check online on the last full morning of the cruise, they sometimes have a very reduced rate for the last 24 hours of the cruise. Or you might be able to find someone on the pool deck to check in for you. We would, if we were on your cruise. We just use our free time at the end of the cruise and don't purchase a package either.

After we were having so much fun onboard a few years ago, and totally forgot about checking in, we just started purchasing Early Bird for our SWA flights. It is one less thing for us to have to remember or worry about. :)

Edited by Coralc

Early Bird 100% of the time. Yea, its another way for them to get $30 from you but you get good fares from them AND two free checked bags. For us, the price for early bird is worth every penny. And you don't need to print your boarding pass early. It will be waiting for you, (and your place in line doesn't change based on when you print the ticket, its based on when you buy the early bird) at the baggage check in.

"Good fares" is very much a case-by-case basis. There are many, many times when Southwest is much more expensive than others, even when factoring in baggage fees.

Of course there is computer access.

It's just not free. :)

If only two people,just get early check in for one if money is an issue. Then they can save a seat for other person.

I personally have not done this, but known others who have.

And since seat saving is frowned on, i would only save one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If you don't want to pay for Early Bird, ask a friend to check in for you. You can pck up boarding passes at a kiosk at the airport.

Can you check in early in the morning, when you're back in port? You should have normal phone connections in port...check in on your phone when you get up in the morning, and print your pass at the airport.

If only two people,just get early check in for one if money is an issue. Then they can save a seat for other person.

I personally have not done this, but known others who have.

And since seat saving is frowned on, i would only save one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I would be one of those frowning. Pay the extra $24 for the additional Early Bird. And as long as I am being grumpy.....what is the big deal about having to sit together on a plane unless the other person is a small child?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

I've never paid for Early Bird check in with Southwest (or any other airline for that matter) so I don't know what it costs but I would think it would be cheaper to pay for 24 hrs. of internet access on the ship. Purchase internet on the last day of the cruise and then just check in from the ship.

I had to buy internet access on the last sea day to be able to rebook my flight home from the Anthem that had canceled. That cost about $20. Early bird on Southwest is $30/person. So if you're just looking at it from what's the rock bottom price, buying internet for a day is cheaper than Early Bird.

However, if you're A-List (my wife and I fly Southwest a lot) you're checked in automatically 36 hours ahead...

Pro tip: if you get a text from your airline saying that your flight is canceled, it's cheaper to buy a day of internet and use Skype to call the airline than to call the airline using Cellular At Sea. :)

I've never paid for Early Bird check in with Southwest (or any other airline for that matter) so I don't know what it costs but I would think it would be cheaper to pay for 24 hrs. of internet access on the ship. Purchase internet on the last day of the cruise and then just check in from the ship.

It would cost $15 per person for Early Bird, so it would probably be less expensive to buy one day of internet access. However, another advantage of Early Bird is the potential for getting a much lower boarding number than those waiting until 24 hours before the flight to check-in.

The only time I pay for EBCI is when we're coming home from a cruise. It's worth the $15 pp.

I agree. I always do EBCI for the return trip from a cruise. It is definitely worth it to me, but may not be to others. I am at a point in life where convenience and time are worth more than saving a few $.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would be one of those frowning. Pay the extra $24 for the additional Early Bird. And as long as I am being grumpy.....what is the big deal about having to sit together on a plane unless the other person is a small child?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

Because I would rather be crammed in with people that I know than with people that I don't.

Some ships offer a special last day VOOM package of 60 minutes for $10. The next step up is $23 for Surf for 24 hour. You can also make friends with someone on board and ask to borrow their VOOM to check in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because I would rather be crammed in with people that I know than with people that I don't.

Whenever we fly to catch a cruise, I have one daughter (grown) who insists on choosing who she sits beside because she hates flying. None of them want to sit next to me because I fall asleep before the plane ever takes off and sleep through the flight. They're perfectly fine with my head bobbing over onto the shoulder of a total stranger. When we flew to Europe, they woke me when meals were served. I'm probably one of those people you would prefer not to be crammed in beside...lol

"Good fares" is very much a case-by-case basis. There are many, many times when Southwest is much more expensive than others, even when factoring in baggage fees.

Absolutely.

There is a reason SW is not on the any of the competitive booking sites. :D

Absolutely.

There is a reason SW is not on the any of the competitive booking sites. :D

Well, kind of. There are some IT and logistics issues that keep Southwest off of those sites, even when Southwest WAS generally the cheapest...but I agree that the desire to keep people in the mindset of always checking Southwest first helps them.

Southwest used to usually be the cheapest when they had abnormally-low fuel prices (due to hedging). That's not the case anymore, which is why Southwest is now often the same price or even more expensive than legacy carriers.

It would cost $15 per person for Early Bird, so it would probably be less expensive to buy one day of internet access. However, another advantage of Early Bird is the potential for getting a much lower boarding number than those waiting until 24 hours before the flight to check-in.

Early Bird check-in is $15 each way per person. So unless you're flying one way to the port, you're paying $30.

If you don't have A-List, I strongly recommend paying for Early Bird.

The number assignment goes roughly like this: Business Select is assigned first (A1-15). A-List Preferred second (best possible number: A16). A-List third. Then they assign Early Bird. After that comes the people who checked in 24 hours ahead.

Where you fall within Early Bird depends upon how much you paid for your ticket and how far ahead you bought Early Bird. (Anytime fares outrank Wanna Get Away fares; those who bought EB months ahead outrank those who bought into Early Bird at the last minute.

Early Bird does not guarantee you an A boarding pass. For that matter, as an A-List member, I will sometimes end up in the B or C group on really full flights if I bought something at the last minute. They allow A-List and A-List Preferred customers to go after A60 but before family boarding if they ended up in the higher groups.

So you could end up buying Early Bird and in the B group if you're on a cheap fare and you're on a flight with a bunch of A List/Preferred people... but you'll still end up with a better number than if you waited until 24 hours ahead to check in.

Speaking as a longtime Southwest frequent flier... until you hit A-List, spend the extra $30 on Early Bird and then you don't have to think about checking in. It's just easier.

I had to buy internet access on the last sea day to be able to rebook my flight home from the Anthem that had canceled. That cost about $20. Early bird on Southwest is $30/person. So if you're just looking at it from what's the rock bottom price, buying internet for a day is cheaper than Early Bird.

However, if you're A-List (my wife and I fly Southwest a lot) you're checked in automatically 36 hours ahead...

Pro tip: if you get a text from your airline saying that your flight is canceled, it's cheaper to buy a day of internet and use Skype to call the airline than to call the airline using Cellular At Sea. :)

Not