Restaurateur's take on the new deli

coevan

this is a typical cutback by carnival. other cruise lines have premade sandwich which is something very dry from just sitting there waiting for it to heated up again.

They've actually expanded the menu, and decreased hands-on labor while in line. Not the same as a "cutback".

They need to bring back the panini press and let you choose your own condiments. That would make this a real winner.

I was skeptical when this new menu and premade sandwich thing was announced. But after trying it I like the new deli better. I had a meatball a Reuben and a Cuban. I thought all were good. I liked the Cuban the most. Wait seemed kind of long but the times I went the only food options were deli or pizza.

The new deli appeared to be a cutback to me. Very slow service and not being able to customize was a huge let down. My wife disliked her grilled ham & cheese and was unable to convince the staff to leave the mayo out. Here is a pic of the chicken sandwich I got twice during a week on the Glory in Jan/Feb. Pretty sad looking sandwich.

20180131_131158.thumb.jpg.f81f825fe4b864f7289da69c65fce36b.jpg

The new deli appeared to be a cutback to me. Very slow service and not being able to customize was a huge let down. My wife disliked her grilled ham & cheese and was unable to convince the staff to leave the mayo out. Here is a pic of the chicken sandwich I got twice during a week on the Glory in Jan/Feb. Pretty sad looking sandwich.

Maybe depends on the ship but I saw people customizing on Breeze with no problem. And I don’t see how you can call something a cutback when they’re offering more options.

One is never too old to learn.

The Cuban sandwich in Tampa combines the Italian heritage of many in the area and adds a slice of salami to the sandwich.

I believe the push to premade sandwiches might be a Carnival Corporation decision.

On another cruiseline under the corporate umbrella, I found the following abominations in the ready made sandwiches:

Mayo on the Italian subs.

Corn beef sandwich on white bread with butter, lettuce and tomato.

And the worst of all, Nathan hot dogs that have celery salt, cheese and sauteed onions as the standard order. Of course, if one ordered such a combo at Nathan's, the counterman would throw you under a passing vehicle (maybe literally depending on how insistent the customer was).

I agree with those that feel this isn't really a cutback. I think the new menu actually looks pretty good, but like others, would like the ability to be able to customize. Like many others I too have my quirks when it comes to how I want my sandwiches made.

Truthfully the deli was not a place I visited hardly at all on previous ships as there were always options far more interesting to me at other venues than most of the previous menu. I just may actually stop by this next cruise as there are a number of sandwiches and wraps on there that I actually enjoy now. *fingers crossed* I can get them customized.

And looking at the menu posted, it does not appear the meatball sandwich comes with feta, but other types of cheese. Is there a possibility the poster got the type of cheese wrong, or the sandwich chef made a mistake?

the bread is bigger then the chicken..thats horrible..i want meat

O

Mayo on the Italian subs.

Corn beef sandwich on white bread with butter, lettuce and tomato.

And the worst of all, Nathan hot dogs that have celery salt, cheese and sauteed onions as the standard order. Of course, if one ordered such a combo at Nathan's, the counterman would throw you under a passing vehicle (maybe literally depending on how insistent the customer was).

New meaning to horrible. Yuck

Mayo should never go anyway near an Italian sub.

Corned beef must be eaten with mustard.

In my world hotdogs can only be eaten with mustard and sauerkraut.

You're complaining about a sandwich that you got "twice"?!? At no extra charge.

And your wife didn't like the ham & cheese that she could not get them to leave the mayo off of. I would think if she couldn't get them to customize, then it would be a good idea to pick another sandwich....just saying.

However condiments should be up to each person. They are able to do it very well at Guy's burgers.

I in no way see how this menu change can be construed as a cutback. There appears to be more choices than before and the deli is still available at no additional cost.

We were on the conquest last week. While I did enjoy the sandwiches and selections at the deli the system didn't seem the best. It was a bit slow.

My husband loved the special sandwich one day. It was some kind of thai chicken sandwich. He said it was one of the best things he ate all week. I liked the bread and had a very good BLT (good bacon) but the sandwiches were just too big for me (and I am an eater). I feel like a lot got wasted.

The fries I got there were not good at all and neither were the chocolate cookies.

The guy working the deli was probably the least happy employee we ran into on the ship. And he was always there.

New meaning to horrible. Yuck

Mayo should never go anyway near an Italian sub.

Corned beef must be eaten with mustard.

In my world hotdogs can only be eaten with mustard and sauerkraut.

They put mayo on jimmy john’s #9 Italian nightclub and it’s pretty damn good. I get it with extra hot peppers.

And your wife didn't like the ham & cheese that she could not get them to leave the mayo off of. I would think if she couldn't get them to customize, then it would be a good idea to pick another sandwich....just saying.

However condiments should be up to each person. They are able to do it very well at Guy's burgers.

I in no way see how this menu change can be construed as a cutback. There appears to be more choices than before and the deli is still available at no additional cost.

Did I say the chicken tasted horrible, uhmmm? Its sad that the nugget size chicken doesn't match the bread, its not even close. Service is painfully slow and they were not interested in customizing. My wife did ask for no mayo and they didn't do what she asked. I guess your armchair answer would have been we should have inspected the sandwiches before we left and not trusted Carnival? She didn't want to wait another 15 minutes to get another sandwich after arriving at the table and noticing mayo.

That's an easy fix....ask for 2 sandwiches and take the chicken off of one and put it on the other sandwich. Wahla!

Interesting...since you're given a sandwich then go to a table, pull the bread off and notice its nugget sized? I guess you're then supposed to cut the line and ask for a second? How would one know the chicken is a nugget size when its a first time order? Geeze keyboard warriors that know everything...

Once upon a time we could get sandwiches freshly made to order and we could pick the condiments. Now we can get them anyway we want as long as it is their way.

If not a cutback sure aint an improvement in my book

We saw a lady with a BLT when we tried the new deli menu on the Magic It is a large sandwich made with really good bread and amazing bacon. Hubby and I share. I thought the fries and cookie were good, but hubby opted for Guy's fries. We were on the ship for a B2B and the second week, the cook recognized me and remembered my order. (OMG) I saw lots of requests for special sandwiches, so I'm thinking it could be the difference in ships/cooks. But I also heard lots of folks complain about what they got - ask for what you want and you may get it. Can't hurt to try. If not satisfied, get something else, like this:.

We found the little soup and sandwich place on deck 5 made a great turkey on roll to order. There's almost no one there and i get a made-to-order salad at the shop around the corner and have an adult beverage from the Pub where we can always find a table at lunch.

Wow, that is the most pathetic chicken sammich ever. Sweet jeez, that wouldn't even be an appetizer. That is more like a tease.

Is this an episode of MST 3000? Poor Joel or Mike or whatever his name is.... He never gets to eat...it's a TV show after all.....:confused::confused:

It's a cruise, food is always available

Chicken SW issues? Eat something else!:)