Happy hour on Princess ships

mickrory

well made mixed drinks at a nice bar on land can run $12 - $20

Depends on where you live and where you drink. At home most people don't go out every night and pay that amount for several drinks. The problem with the drink package is the "every day" aspect of it. We may possibly be able to make the PBP price work for a few cruise days but not all of them, especially on longer cruises. Those longer cruises are where BOGO +$1 is really nice and helpful. I agree that saving some drinking to port stops is in our future if the BOGO is not available.

well made mixed drinks at a nice bar on land can run $12 - $20

However, my experience with Princess is that they do not know how to make a good mixed drink.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that. :( We have noticed variability in the quality of drinks (usually our favorite Martinis) on the last few ships we've been on (Regal, Emerald and Ruby among others). Sometimes we'd get completely differently results ordering the same drink in the same bar on successive days. The worst for us was the BOGO happy hour on the Regal earlier this year. The bar was jammed, and the bartender(s?) were so busy my Martini and my wife's Cosmo bore NO resemblance to anything we'd had before. And this on multiple days. It was as if the bartender just threw a bit of random alcohol in the general direction of the glass without any regard to the ratios. I know the exact formulations for a Cosmo and my specific Ian Fleming Martini, as I make them all the time at home. The BOGO versions were unidentifiable. Apologies, rant now over.

:cocktail:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that. :( We have noticed variability in the quality of drinks (usually our favorite Martinis) on the last few ships we've been on (Regal, Emerald and Ruby among others). Sometimes we'd get completely differently results ordering the same drink in the same bar on successive days. The worst for us was the BOGO happy hour on the Regal earlier this year. The bar was jammed, and the bartender(s?) were so busy my Martini and my wife's Cosmo bore NO resemblance to anything we'd had before. And this on multiple days. It was as if the bartender just threw a bit of random alcohol in the general direction of the glass without any regard to the ratios. I know the exact formulations for a Cosmo and my specific Ian Fleming Martini, as I make them all the time at home. The BOGO versions were unidentifiable. Apologies, rant now over.

No worries, mate...now that HH is gone - the bartenders will have plenty of time, eh?:hearteyes::hearteyes:

let's see -the bar is packed, bartender slammed...let's order martinis and a cosmo !:cocktail:

Yeah No BOGO and high prices has forced us to smuggle our own booze on. Oh well. Saves us some money.

If enough people brag about this, princess will become like some other cruise lines, and not even allow bottled water / bottled soda.

I can only speak for the Grand that I just got off of, the BOGO $1 offer was at the Wheelhouse Bar at 9:30 every night; it has to be the same drink though. I don't drink at all, but the ones from my party who went said the prices are better than on land. For example, $7.50 vs. $13. One of my nieces bought a drink w/dinner every night as her treat because she felt the prices were affordable.

I can only speak for the Grand that I just got off of, the BOGO $1 offer was at the Wheelhouse Bar at 9:30 every night; it has to be the same drink though. I don't drink at all, but the ones from my party who went said the prices are better than on land. For example, $7.50 vs. $13. One of my nieces bought a drink w/dinner every night as her treat because she felt the prices were affordable.

That's good to hear. Even if they do BOGO at nite only that's fine with me. When they had it twice a day there were maybe 1/3 of the people at the night happy hours than the day. It would seem smart to cancel the afternoon one and get people to spend money on drinks instead of going to bed.

I assume that I will be flamed for this. However, I have said and posted this for years on this site.

The Happy Hour Elite Lounge where they offer the drink for $6.99 or whatever it is now, is not a very good perk. Some ships will only offer the drink of that evening, nothing else. The food is ???

The Happy Hour in the evening whatever time that is where you may get the same drink BOGO for $1, is late in the evening. many people have said they didn't even know that existed.

Why not stop the in-cabin bar setup and really provide an Elite Happy Hour like RCI or Celebrity does? There is a dedicate Lounge where drinks are free from 5 -7 on Celebrity (Elite and above) and 5 -8:30 on RCI (Diamond and above.) They both offer food, too.

On RCI in addition to the 5 -8:30 lounge drinks, RCI puts 3 extra drinks on your Cruise Card that you may be used during that time in any bar. This allows you to enjoy a drink in a bar with your friends who may not be Elite.

RCI also has the Diamond Lounge that is open 24/7 where you may enjoy a quiet setting with breakfast from 8 - 10, coffee and cappo 24 hours, and food during the 5 -8:30 hours at night. The food is normally chicken, wings, shrimp, meatballs, cheeses, fruit, and very plentiful. Not just one thing each night.

Again, this is my suggestion. Many will not agree. But, please don't tell me to cruise them instead of Princess. I do all cruise lines. Each one has its + and -. Happy Cruising!!!!!

The variety of options are necessary to differentiate the products and force the customers to make choices.

The pluses and minuses are what make the differences. I am all for lobbying for changes to the cruise line options, I just don’t think that every line wants to present the same product. (And I don’t want them too)

Agree ... that is why we bring our own wine on board...the market for inexpensive wine is too high.
I bring 5 sm bottles (187ml) .... know it's supposed to be 4 only but they don't really care. Started when I'd pack 4 but get a few on the plane

Single passenger, glass of wine in Elite / Suite lounge discounted 5-6pm (anyway was on 2 cruises this year. Also you can trade your mini bar set up

• 3 weeks later...

That's great news if they reinstated it fleet wide. We're leaving for a 60 day Pacific Rim cruise on the Coral in a month and the BOGO would be a real benefit over several months. We don't mind needing to order the same drink. Fair is Fair. Thanks for the update.

Edited by esanesel

Just got off the Emerald and had BOGO at 10:30-11:30 in the Wheelhouse Bar. Did have to be the same drink.

Not a problem. For a BOGO I order single malt scotch straight up so I just have them put both drinks in the same glass. Works well for me. :D

Celebrity doesn't have a happy hour either and their booze prices are higher than Princess plus 18% grats.

On our last 7 night Celebrity cruise they had 3 days of 2 for $10 all day at any bar for most drinks. Too bad it wasn't every night.

I wonder if it depends on how their liquor sales are going? We will be on the Grand in December. I wonder if BOGO $1 will still be around.

Not a problem. For a BOGO I order single malt scotch straight up so I just have them put both drinks in the same glass. Works well for me. :D

I want to sail with you!

Alas, I will have to make do with enjoying my first S&S promo beginning next week. Do you suppose my Oban is included in the package?

I want to sail with you!

Alas, I will have to make do with enjoying my first S&S promo beginning next week. Do you suppose my Oban is included in the package?

I mainly drank Talisker 10 year old. It was included. Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12 are $8.95 and $7.95 respectively. I don't recall if they carry Oban or not. The only place I know for sure they have Oban is if you are on a ship such as Emerald Princess where the Whiskey Adventure is in Wheelhouse. That is an expanded menu - much of which is way above the package limit. They have Oban 14 which doesn't fit in the package as they charge $13. If they do have Oban in a "younger" version it will fit with the package.

My friend is currently on the Regal and will be for the next 26 days. She is sitting at Crooners and Jason is bartending again! I asked about happy hours and she just texted back that there are no happy hours on the Regal.

She has free internet so if that changes, I’ll let you know.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS