Ladies, share your tips on how you get ready for dinner

Be the first to shower.. if you can wash your hair every other day (this is what I do.. unless we go swimming)

this way you can do your hair while others take theirs.

Like most people stated bring your own dryer. The ones on the ships are horrible even in the suites.

Get a professional done prior to going.

Fairly thick long hair. I wash it twice a day - I enjoy it so no lectures please. Morning I let air dry. Evening I also use my own powerful blower, my own conditioner (key) and I don't let anyone open the balcony door while I'm doing this (reduces humidity). Sometimes I touch it up with a flat iron for a few minutes. I don't have the patience to do a traditional section blowout, instead I blow from underneath with my hand and not a brush until almost dry.

Short thin fine hair and I STILL have to start all over again if I get it wet. Once its flat, its flat, absolutely no option besides rewashing it. I am lucky that it dries in about 10 minutes but still a pain to dress for dinner. I think we'll solve the problem by ordering room service!!

I have very thick, long, very curly hair, similar to Caribbean/Puerto Rican curly haired people. I embrace it in the Caribbean (and am often mistaken for a local).

The trick is finding the right curl product for your particular curl. I like Morrocanoil’s Curl Cream, mixed with Herbal Essence Mousse (#4 strength, with the orange label).

If you don’t normally wear your hair curly then you may need to have it trimmed before your vacation so it has nice layers that look good when curly, but otherwise, using a product that enhances your curl while keeping it from being frizzy is my trick. I don’t bother trying to straighten it in humid weather.

As far as makeup goes, getting eyelash extensions before your trip will keep you from having to bother with eyelash curlers and mascara, and saves time since you don’t have to bother with as much eye makeup. I’ve had these before & they’re a huge time saver, but will make your real lashes grow a LOT shorter if you get them redone for several months at a time. It took my real lashes 4 months to grow back. Getting them just once for a vacation won’t hurt your lashes at all. The cost is around $250.

The tattooed eyebrows can look really nice on most people, if you get them done by an experienced microblading professional. I don’t have personal experience with these but it would be a big time saver too. The cost is around $450.

After a few days in the sun with a nice tan, you may not need any foundation, so with the above 2 makeup hacks and a pretty lipstick, you may save yourself a whole hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ARandomTraveler

If you want to embrace your natural curl/wave, I find using a blow dryer with a difusser attachment really helps me. It dries pretty quickly but leaves the natural curl in place then I just do some touch up curls.

I also tried out some product sets from Sephora. They're travel size and let you try a lot of different products without committing to a whole full size product in case you don't like it. I tried this one for easy scrunch and go wavy styles. Here's one for curls and for regular styling. They have a ton of different ones depending on what you're looking for. It's a great way to try a lot of different products-- and they're easy to pack!

If you have long hair definitely consider splurging and getting a blow out on board like others have said! I think it could be great as long as you could plan to make it last for a couple of days.

Here's my dilemma: after a day at a port/beach/pool, coming back all sweaty, etc, and having hair that doesn't behave air-dried I usually spend a good amount of time washing my hair and blow drying it so I can look presentable for dinner time. Why do I want to look presentable? Because we tend to take advantage of the photo booths every night (we get the photo package). These are our yearly "family photo sessions" so they are important to me, and I don't want to be in a bun in all these pictures.

The key for me is bringing my own blowdryer. I have short hair, but would be a mess if I did not have my own blowdryer so I could get my hair good. Honestly, if you have longer hair, wrap it in a bun or something and go have a good time. No one will judge you

I had a co-worker with really curly hair get it professionally straightened and it did last awhile. Not sure it will help with the duration of the blow-drying but it might help with the amount it time it takes to straighten.

I try and get a good hair trim right before vacation. It makes my hair easier to manage. I have shoulder length curly hair and right now it's cut and layered in the back with the sides long. My saving grace Mizanis thermasmooth. Wash, condition, rinse, towel dry, apply thermasmooth, blow dry straight. Hit the sides with flat iron. 40 minutes.

Any type of moisture and my hair curls. So on vacation, I'm curly or I blow dry it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

We only do pics on the formal nights, so I put in extra effort then. Most nights I embrace the curls and let my hair do it's own thing.

Definitely bring your own blow dryer. I find the ones provided to not be powerful enough.

If I think I can get away with it I will use dry shampoo at the roots and a quick hit with the straightener. Don't dry shampoo your whole head as it will make your hair flat.

It's a great time saver if I want to get out f the cabin quickly.

My hair is mid back length-wavy/almost curly, but I keep it straight.

I have shorter, fine hair so not quite the same problem as you, but there are a couple of things I do on vacation when I need to get ready quickly and still look good.

Big Sexy has a dry shampoo that has to be the very best product of its type that I have ever used. I spray it on to my hair and fluff it up - even if it's starting to look flat and stringy, it suddenly is amazing how much body it has and it looks CLEAN.

I also have a couple of hairpieces - a clip on straight pony tail and a curly one that I use for a quick update. I wear bangs, so if they are dirty, I can have them washed ,dried, and styled in 5 minutes - I pull my hair back and clip the hairpiece on - it looks great.

I will be getting my hair (long, thick, curly) professionally straightened using a Keratin treatment from a local salon prior to my upcoming cruise. It makes it much easier to dry or touch up with a flat iron as needed. I usually get it done about once a year at the beginning of summer and it lasts a few months. (I also only wash my hair a couple times a week because of the time and effort it takes to dry, but I hate shorter hairstyles on me.)

This. Keratin treatments keep my hair looking great. I get 2-3 per year.

This. Keratin treatments keep my hair looking great. I get 2-3 per year.

Are these treatments meant for people who have curly hair? My hair isn’t really curly, kind of wavy at the roots, and frizzy and coarse until I blow dry and flat iron. I would love to not have to flat iron as much, but don’t want to damage my hair either.

Are these treatments meant for people who have curly hair? My hair isn’t really curly, kind of wavy at the roots, and frizzy and coarse until I blow dry and flat iron. I would love to not have to flat iron as much, but don’t want to damage my hair either.

My hair used to be curly which I liked fine. As I got older it just got frizzy. Keratin treatments make my hair smooth and the texture silky. It air dries smooth. To make it look like a blowout I just have to touch up the ends with a flat iron.

I feel your pain. I grudgingly do my hair every evening. On regular dinner nights I wash and blow dry. I bring my own dryer because the ones in the room are useless unless you have VERY short hair or guy's hair. If we are on a 7 day cruise or longer, I make an appt. at the hair salon on board and have them do my hair for one of the "formal" evenings. That way we get really nice photos. Good luck to you. This is one issue discussed over and over. ;)

After cruising for 20+ years, I've had a variety of hair styles. I've gone from short to long to medium trying to find a hairdo that is easy to take care of on a cruise where there is usually high humidity. My coarse, wavy, thick hair hates humidity. Bring your own hairdryer is a must, IMO. Secondly, a flat iron helps tremendously. Finally, I've reached the point where I do my best and not worry about it. When I look back at all our pictures, I can't say that I ever really had a bad hair day, but at the time, I thought so. Age mellows you. :). Enjoy your cruise.

I have chin length hair and wash it every night before dinner on a cruise. I blow it dry and put some velcro rollers in, and by the time I do my makeup, the rollers are ready to be taken out. If I don't do that my hair just lays flat, the rollers give it some body.

I also wash my hair at least once a day on vacation and I like to dress up for dinner. I’ve recently taken to wearing it with its natural curl, after experimenting with products that keep the frizz at bay (I live in Texas so humidity is a major factor). I am a huge fan of the Kristin Ess line at Target.

But sometimes I like to blow dry it straight. I use the GOOP method - leave it wrapped in a microfiber towel for as long as you can bear (I always take them on vacation), then blow dry each section in just one long, slow pass. I also recently purchased one of those heated straightening brushes (I have the Amika mini one), it is good for touch ups if you’ve already dried it straight with a brush. You can also get products that help to reduce drying time, if you are open to changing up what you use.

I agree with what Lmm79 said. I probably didn't describe my own hair well - it is not nice curls, it is more wavy, coarse, frizzy like you describe. In theory, the treatment would allow me to just wash and go and it would dry straight - it doesn't work quite THAT well for me, but it is good enough that it takes much less effort with blow dryer and flat iron to keep it nice and smooth. I'd definitely do it at least a week before you sail, though, because you have to wait like three days without getting it wet before washing it the first time.

I feel your pain! If I don't blow out my hair, I have crazy, curly beach hair (which I usually have one night). For the past few years, this is my schedule: Blowout day before we leave, that holds me on night one & two. Third day enjoy snorkeling or swimming and around 4pm, get a blow out in salon. Lasts me night 3 & 4. Get a blow out night 5 and then at some point I will give up and wear "beach" hair for the rest of the cruise. The cost is around $150 and gives me total peace:) Good luck and have fun!!

I have shoulder length thick frizzy hair. I live in Florida so I know frizz! First, consider a keratin treatment-it’s wonderful! Second, redken frizz dismiss products shampoo, conditioner, and styling products. Third, revlon one step volumizing hairdryer. This hair dryer is amazing! It is a powerful dryer with a round brush on the end. I let my hair air dry for about 30 minutes and than it only takes about 7-10 minutes to completely dry my entire head! It’s $60 at Ulta or on amazon.

Above all, DO NOT give up any activity you enjoy because of your hair!

Have a great time!