Inconsiderate Cruisers

inforem

The tablet isn't rude to the neighboring tables, as long as it's not loud enough to interfere with their conversations. If you don't mind your kids playing quietly during dinner, then others shouldn't judge.
The noise from tablets, phones, etc., from children and adults, drives me crazy. If someone is going to watch a video or play a game in a public setting, at least have the courtesy to wear headphones.

I once went into a nice restaurant for dinner and the person next to me was actually playing music loud enough for everyone around to hear it. I asked the server to ask the gentleman to either turn it off or wear headphones and, much to my surprise, the offending man had no idea he was being extremely rude exposing everyone to music that he enjoys. I guess he thought everyone should have been thankful to him for playing the awful music.

WOW

I am certainly glad that you are around to make the rules for the children. Have you thought about forwarding these to Celebrity to publish? Perhaps these could be included in the packet of material that is in the cabin we you arrive.

Have you also thought about establishing rules for adults and we can also publish them?

I think the biggest problem is that everyone doesn't understand your rules and anything that we can do to educate the rest of the cruisers would be good.

Perhaps you can start with this question that always confuses me. My polo shirts usually come with two or three buttons, is is acceptable to leave the top 1 or two buttons open or do I need to button all of the buttons.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I agree with many of the things said but I find the tone to be a bit arrogant...

Finally, yes - it is definitely the fault of the parents. Fortunately, as I have learned, karma is a b***h. Whatever behavior you have permitted your children to do that is not acceptable to others will come back and bite you when they get older. After all, these little darlings don't have to listen to you now and definitely won't listen to you when they are older.

Or as we used to say after a parent meeting with an incorrigible kid, who was made that way by a clueless 'parent' - thank goodness I only have to put up with the kid for this school year, they have to put up with him/her for the rest of their life.

Parents just have to deal with the fact that red flags go up anytime children are introduced into a situation. It could be that your kids are perfect angels (or at least tolerable; maybe even delightful) but no one knows that until you prove it. These are the "looks" you're getting. Too many others have ruined an automatic benefit of the doubt.

I don't think the poster posted rules and there should be no reason to post or put in a packet, because I think what he posted was just common sense and common courtesy. .......

Given all of the complaints about unacceptable behavior by some children and some adults, it doesn't appear to be common sense. Since the poster wants to determine acceptable behavior, perhaps he and Celebrity should formalize these rules. Even if the rules are common sense, what's the problem writing down the rules according to the poster and perhaps NLH. Most rules are just common sense. Given all of this bad behavior we need ti find a way to educate many cruisers.

Given all of the complaints about unacceptable behavior by some children and some adults, it doesn't appear to be common sense. Since the poster wants to determine acceptable behavior, perhaps he and Celebrity should formalize these rules. Even if the rules are common sense, what's the problem writing down the rules according to the poster and perhaps NLH. Most rules are just common sense. Given all of this bad behavior we need ti find a way to educate many cruisers.

No rules at Celebrity. They only make "suggestion".

A rule is uniformly enforced ; a suggestion is not.

Yes, they should, but apparently they're taking a vacation from parenting.

I hope you come back to tell us that you did get that quiet breakfast on you balcony.

It's called abdication of responsibility. I worked in this field for years, gradually I began to notice that most of my parents had no idea what to do with their children outside organized activities and when I attempted to educate them , the response was, that's what I pay you to do,just simply have no idea what parenting involves,sad for their kids. Countless times I saw them trying to engage their mom's attention, and then of course misbehaving and the seemed to do the trick. I always found my kids so interesting and enjoyed sharing time with them, visits to the mall do not count as enrich,ent activities.

;pSurprised that my post had such strong responses. I definitely wasn't trying to be arrogant or insensitive but sometimes the written word can be construed differently than how i is meant.

I want to quickly address my comment about the pool. There is nothing wrong with children being in the pool (not the jacuzzi which is another issue) as long as they are old enough to have been potty trained. It is the dive bombing into a pool and over the top splashing that makes it difficult for others to enjoy the pool.

In terms of laptops/ipads/tablets/whatever, it is the parents problem if they want their children to be "entertained" by playing with or watching the devices during mealtime. It becomes our problem when the children do not use headphones or earbuds. What may seem to be a low volume to some is loud to others (based on the hearing loss that some younger people have due to listening to music that is too loud ...... this is another issue altogether but does exist).

Wish that having a conversation with the parents would work but many times the parents go ballistic if you even suggest that their perfect child(ren) are being disruptive. These parents would not understand "disruptive" if it was in their face.

Had to laugh about the comment of slamming doors. Why do people slam doors? I don't get it but it does come under the subject of "inconsiderate cruisers".

P.S. bigbeergut, what the heck - leave all the buttons unbuttoned (just button them at dinner if you want to);p

Loud talkers and laughers tend to bother me more than kids with tablets. People who feel they must whistle as loud as possible in the Theater are the most inconsiderate to me. In fact, they might be dangerous to those near them. On one cruise a man did his high pitch whistle right behind me and it impacted my hearing for two days.

Yes! That was something we witness on our last cruise, adults shouting out, or whistling, to friends from the theater balcony or upper level to indicate they had a whole damn row reserved for all their friends. Someone did the two finger in the mouth whistle in the buffet one morning to get the attention of his (hopefully) better half. It was startling and very crude. Everyone froze, turned and gave him a hard stare. Could have heard a pin drop for those few seconds.

These are not rules, they are common courtesies that responsible parents would make sure their children are not doing. Making sure your child is acting properly in public is up to the parent, but I get the feeling you don't feel that is the case, since you seem to feel the need to have some sort of rules written down and posted for you, unlike others who are just suggesting what unacceptable behavior is in their opinion. Edited by NLH Arizona

'Parents' who don't follow common sense (increasingly an oxymoron, as sense is getting less and less common) aren't going to be any better at doing it because it is written down. And they have no interest in being educated on being a parent.

'Parents' who don't follow common sense (increasingly an oxymoron, as sense is getting less and less common)

My 12 year old daughter softly whispers to me, I quote, "common sense is not a flower that blooms in everybody's garden." [emoji4]

This after my daughter had just tapped the shoulder of the adult lady sitting in front of us on our overnight flight to politely ask this lady to dim her tablet and use headphones on her ipad. The adult lady was easily in her 30s and was sitting next to her own child. It's midnight. The cabin is dark and most people are asleep or resting. Geesh!

Obviously, that lady needed some "gardening" from my 12 year old as her flowers were definitely not blooming.

My 12 year old daughter softly whispers to me, I quote, "common sense is not a flower that blooms in everybody's garden." [emoji4]

This after my daughter had just tapped the shoulder of the adult lady sitting in front of us on our overnight flight to politely ask this lady to dim her tablet and use headphones on her ipad. The adult lady was easily in her 30s and was sitting next to her own child. It's midnight. The cabin is dark and most people are asleep or resting. Geesh!

Obviously, that lady needed some "gardening" from my 12 year old as her flowers were definitely not blooming.

One of the best posts I’ve ever read. Lucky you mom. Keep her.

Was your cruise out of Bayonne to Bermuda? The only time we experienced these issues on Celebrity was that summer cruise. There were over 600 children aboard, running amuck down hallways, in the buffet, and at the shows. As much as we love Bermuda and the Summit, never again! A grandmother across the hall let the kids plaster the door with stickers. The poor room steward...you know they were a bear to remove. I love kids, I’m a retired elementary teacher, but we avoid vacation weeks, try to book Aqua, and find fewer hassles.

Yes...we book suite and hope for the best neighbors. We have booked the same cruise for 8 years and this was the first time we had a problem with kids next door. In Luminae we never saw kids eating. This cruise there was a 17 month old child that was with his parents and grandparents. Extremely well behaved, but one or two times he became restless. They took "Harris" out for a walk. That's intelligent and showing good parenting. Everyone knew "Harris" in Luminae because he was so adorable and well behaved. I love Luminae because of the quiet dining and also because we can order from the MDR menu as well. It usually takes 2 hours to finish your meal, but doesn't have the hustle and bustle, plate dropping and crashing, etc. as the MDR.

Another thing that adds to children's overactive behavior is too much sugar in the diet. I see that with my grandchildren. When I was growing up cokes were not kept in the home and desserts were limited. Sugar is your enemy.

I don't allow my children to have phones or devices at restaurants (we bring coloring books etc), but I'm writing to confirm you saw families in Luminae? I'm asking because, based on the children hatred I have seen on this board, I have been feeling anxious to bring my kids there. I feel like if they even speak, someone will complain. Last time, we ate in Luminae in 2015, the service was painfully slow (2 plus hours for a hamburger at lunch) and you could hear a pin drop in there so we didn't utilize very much. I'm trying to decide how to approach this on our upcoming cruise.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

We just got of a Summit sailing in June. Dining in Luminae with our 9 yr old. Easily can finish a meal in just over an hour. Waiter will adjust serving to keep dinner moving along. About three families with children, no noise or disruptions seen.

We just got of a Summit sailing in June. Dining in Luminae with our 9 yr old. Easily can finish a meal in just over an hour. Waiter will adjust serving to keep dinner moving along. About three families with children, no noise or disruptions seen.
Thanks-I appreciate your response. I think my not so great experience there was a result of the newness of it at the time. I'm hoping for a more positive experience on our next cruise!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

The most inconsiderate cruisers are the ones who are continuously obsessing about how others should dress / behave / raise their children / close their cabin door / use the pool / use their devices / etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

(y)(y) Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself. These same people then try to control others to conform to their standards.

Did you consider that the lady may have dozed off and had nothing to do with her "flowers". That's very easy to do on a plane or at home watching TV from a recliner and has nothing to do with being inconsiderate.

With no ear buds/headphones on an overnight flight??? Seriously??? I'm thinking some gardens may be overgrown with weeds.

And before you make the excuse for someone's poor behavior/lack of common sense. No their earbuds didn't fall out. My daughter is literally half dead and had taken out her hearing aid to sleep and could still hear this lady's ipad.

Amazing how there is always someone who will defend another's poor behavior no matter what.

And, now you use a typo to poke fun. You're a real peach.

And, you are very judgemental. No way to know it was a typo. Nor is there any way to know the "inconsiderate" person didn't actually fall asleep. Have you never fallen asleep while watching tv or a movie?