Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I am late to this game... Tennis (never sneakers) and Hellman's...preferred mayo.  This from Puerto Rico.  However, now living in Central New York.... I was once instructed by my good friend from Trumansburg, NY, that, because of my Spanish accent, I pronounced the word 'introduction" with an emphasis on the TR, whereas it should be pronounced "innerductshun".  She really wanted me not to make a fool of myself,  therefore I appreciated her suggestion.  Every time I spoke publicly, I excused my Spanish accent...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

I am late to this game... Tennis (never sneakers) and Hellman's...preferred mayo.  This from Puerto Rico.  However, now living in Central New York.... I was once instructed by my good friend from Trumansburg, NY, that, because of my Spanish accent, I pronounced the word 'introduction" with an emphasis on the TR, whereas it should be pronounced "innerductshun".  She really wanted me not to make a fool of myself,  therefore I appreciated her suggestion.  Every time I spoke publicly, I excused my Spanish accent...

Hi Cam, great to see you again😃 Hellman's here too! As for accents, my Dad's Mom came over before WWI on a ship by herself......didn't speak any English. As the years went by she learned and some of the words (pronunciations) always made us smile.......watermelon, ....some how she said watermelone..........and this is from a Russian and sometimes Yiddish accent😃

• Like 1

I love listening to accents. And I always know that someone who speaks with a foreign accent and trips up on an occasional English word is still speaking their second language far better than I speak mine. Nothing but respect there.

Missed you @Camillus112! Nice to see you here again. 

And just to stir the pot, I prefer aioli. 😉 It's Hellman's here (Best Foods, west of the Rockies). But the closest we get to aioli at home is grating some garlic into mayo.

Did an experiment tonight. Love sesame crusted ahi tuna but when I sear it in the pan the seeds fall off.

So I coated the ahi with some olive oil and sprinkled them with everything bagel mix. Then I put them in the air fryer for about 7 minutes. 

The seeds didn't fall off because I never had to flip the fish. Sliced over greens with some couscous and a honey-mustard vinaigrette. Dinner took about 10 minutes. I could have cooked the fish a touch less.

20220519_181437.thumb.jpg.b8033a6ff178d482e49e101da1b7b5c1.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I love listening to accents. And I always know that someone who speaks with a foreign accent and trips up on an occasional English word is still speaking their second language far better than I speak mine. Nothing but respect there.

Missed you @Camillus112! Nice to see you here again. 

And just to stir the pot, I prefer aioli. 😉 It's Hellman's here (Best Foods, west of the Rockies). But the closest we get to aioli at home is grating some garlic into mayo.

Did an experiment tonight. Love sesame crusted ahi tuna but when I sear it in the pan the seeds fall off.

So I coated the ahi with some olive oil and sprinkled them with everything bagel mix. Then I put them in the air fryer for about 7 minutes. 

The seeds didn't fall off because I never had to flip the fish. Sliced over greens with some couscous and a honey-mustard vinaigrette. Dinner took about 10 minutes. I could have cooked the fish a touch less.

20220519_181437.thumb.jpg.b8033a6ff178d482e49e101da1b7b5c1.jpg

jp  --You mention "everything but the bagel" indicating perhaps a Trader Joe's?   Was in there yesterday and they have a new product jar -- garlic aioli.  Looks great-- I'll get some and report.

6 minutes ago, dusababy said:

jp  --You mention "everything but the bagel" indicating perhaps a Trader Joe's?   Was in there yesterday and they have a new product jar -- garlic aioli.  Looks great-- I'll get some and report.

Our local TJs was too hard to get to during the pandemic so we started going to Aldi instead. So the everything bagel seasoning is from there. Very interested in a report on the aioli though! 

• Like 2

My Dad from the South, Mom from Iowa, yes, De Moyn.  Mom loaded us up in the station wagon every summer & out to the Midwest we rolled.  Best sweet corn anywhere.

Hellman's?  OK in a pinch, but glad we have Duke's (N Carolina) or Blue Plate (Louisiana) to use around here.

JP's food always looks so good!

Curious fact (hope so anyway): Slavic languages do not have the definite article, for example "the"

So if you hear a Ukrainian or Russian say, for example, "Please open door"  its only because the "the" doesn't make sense to them (& maybe it doesn't make sense to me either now that I understand)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Our local TJs was too hard to get to during the pandemic so we started going to Aldi instead. So the everything bagel seasoning is from there. Very interested in a report on the aioli though! 

I have just discovered all the positives at Aldi -- the German chocolate !  the thin sliced seed bread - so fortunate I have both sources within one mile of each other. 

• Like 2

Sorry, Jeff - it is so long since you were here, sadly, that I forgot how you spell your name.  But I  did remember about the salad cream!.   Some of us miss you.

Lola

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Sorry, Jeff - it is so long since you were here, sadly, that I forgot how you spell your name.  But I  did remember about the salad cream!.   Some of us miss you.

Lola

Thanks L, that’s so kind.  

I was moved by your recent posts and hope that you are coping well with your recent troubles.  It must be tougher for you than many of us but at least you know that some of us are thinking of you.

Jeff x 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 7:40 AM, Tothesunset said:

Oh, and while we're at it. Why are Leicester, Worcester and Bicester respectively pronounced Lesster, Wusster and Bisster yet Cirencester is fully enunciated? 

And isn't it about time we loaned the Welsh some vowels? 

We have more than enough vowels TTS! In fact some of your pesky consonants are reappropriated in Wales to stand in as vowels in cases of emergency. One thing that still keeps me awake at night is the fact that Jones is the most popular surname in Wales even though there is no J in the Welsh alphabet. Many of the Welsh spellings do seem to be quite cantankerous. Words such as Tacsi and Ambiwlance are extracting the Michael. But Croeso to the Diolch yn fawr. And can I just throw in my vote for Worcestershire (wuster) sauce being hands above Henderson’s purely on the basis of linguistic simplicity. Tomorrow is going to be a wonderful day. Bora da pob. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

We have more than enough vowels TTS! In fact some of your pesky consonants are reappropriated in Wales to stand in as vowels in cases of emergency. One thing that still keeps me awake at night is the fact that Jones is the most popular surname in Wales even though there is no J in the Welsh alphabet. Many of the Welsh spellings do seem to be quite cantankerous. Words such as Tacsi and Ambiwlance are extracting the Michael. But Croeso to the Diolch yn fawr. And can I just throw in my vote for Worcestershire (wuster) sauce being hands above Henderson’s purely on the basis of linguistic simplicity. Tomorrow is going to be a wonderful day. Bora da pob. 

Four years ago or so we were staying for a week in a cottage near Dolgellau. As we left I filled the car up at the local petrol station where the 2 girls at the tills were chatting away in Welsh and left me standing for a moment while they finished their conversation with a hearty laugh. 

When my payment was taken I left them with a (very well pronounced, I thought) "Diolch yn fawr". Now, I have absolutely no idea what they'd been saying but they had the courtesy to look guilty. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Have fun!  And, believe everything you are told. Well, almost everything. 😉

Almost? 🙂 

12 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Four years ago or so we were staying for a week in a cottage near Dolgellau. As we left I filled the car up at the local petrol station where the 2 girls at the tills were chatting away in Welsh and left me standing for a moment while they finished their conversation with a hearty laugh. 

When my payment was taken I left them with a (very well pronounced, I thought) "Diolch yn fawr". Now, I have absolutely no idea what they'd been saying but they had the courtesy to look guilty. 

Haha, I Enjoy doing that too TTS. "Doll geth lie" is a beautiful little village. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, I just wonder, is it human nature for us to come together as one group of human beings across borders etc, or is it our fate to separate and separate again into smaller groups.  I've got no agenda here, but I do wonder about the answer.  I've watched my particular protestant church split, and then split again, over differences I cared very little about over my, admittedly, rather long life.  I wish I had a better understanding of philosophy, but I think it's time to open a 2nd bottle of sauvignon blanc & maybe do a crossword or sudoku...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Que – at the risk of taking this thread beyond even where a 'water cooler' should not go...  There's a joke with a big grain of truth in it that goes:  when two Protestants disagree, they start a new church; when two Catholics disagree, they start a new branch of the Franciscans...  Pax et bonum.

• Like 2

Seeing Jeff posting here again reminded me about food (as you might expect).

Thinking about favourite dishes, my possible last meal - until I find something else - would be one I  have had for lunch many times on a cruise (sorry, not Silversea) sitting on deck with a lovely view.

Tempura prawns with sweet chilli sauce,  with tempura vegetables with aioli.  Their tempura was not the very lightest, but still delicious.  Not very Michelin star, of course,  but just the thing at the time.  And of course a lovely chilled white wine.

Just a random thought for a sunny Sunday.

Lola

• Like 6

Lola, 

Remember that tempura used to be served in the first iteration of one of the specialty restaurants, (Seisin?) before Kaisecki, at lunch time. It was delicious, although there was no view! DH enjoyed it so much he often had several plates…back in the day…

• Like 4

Good morning.......last night on "Searching for Italy" Stanley was in his home city of London and I didn't realize how many folks from Italy now live there. It was a VERY interesting show and there is a restaurant with "Mom's" who run the kitchen.......it looked like so much fun😃. Wish I could think of the name. 

There was also a segment about a family in Wales who had immigrated from Italy.......daughter is the chef. I LOVE THIS SHOW😃

• Like 3